• The KillerFrogs

Fall camp thread

netty2424

Those who say they want Duggan to be starting by Game 6 are basically saying they want us to lose a game or two by then. I don't get how everyone seems to just KNOW that Duggan gives us the highest "upside" at this point. Haven't we learned anything from the past? Since when has a true freshman been able to be anything better than average for us? Hopefully this kid is better than anything we've seen around here in a long time, but how about watching him play a little bit before absolutely counting on that?

And then Collins comes back to practice and literally nobody seems to care. If Delton is the first option I'm not so sure a fully healthy Collins wouldn't be the second option, and I'm not 100% that would really be a bad thing.

The unknown guy seems to always be better than the known one, but we take it to a new level around here. I wish I could go dig up the posts about Shawn Robinson after he threw that TD pass in the state championship game. We all but had his seat reserved at the NY Downtown Athletic Club.
Not trying to be a prick here, but Delton has had 3 years to prove what? He couldn’t hold a starting job at KSU.

Don’t care about scheme, Coach, etc. if he was that great, he would’ve started. Period. It’s not like he was competing against top college QB’s for the job.

To me, Collins seems like a better option than Delton based on his experience in this system(assuming Veer & Shoot is rumor), but he’s been hurt so I can’t imagine he’s full speed yet.

So that leaves Duggan. GP himself stated Delton and Duggan are 1A & 1B. It doesn’t get any closer in competition than that, right?

I’m not meaning to come off as a Delton hater, I am no that. Delton will get his shot. And I’m not building a case for Duggan to start.

I just don’t think it’s so far out of the realm of possibility that Duggan takes over as the starter very quickly. If we’re being honest, he’s also not really up against elite QB competition right now, is he?

Wexahu

I just don’t think it’s so far out of the realm of possibility that Duggan takes over as the starter very quickly. If we’re being honest, he’s also not really up against elite QB competition right now, is he?

I don't either, and I don't totally disagree with you, but like you said it could very well be because the other guys are so underwhelming, and honestly my predictions for the season are going to be a little less optimistic if a true freshman is starting for us early in the season.

It is VERY rare for a true freshman kid to come in and just wow everybody right off the bat, there is a very good chance they'll be some real stinkers along the way, and it sure doesn't sound like many on here really see that as a possibility or are prepared to go through that. It's more along the lines of if Duggan starts he's got such a great upside we're going to be kicking ass every week.

GP's Step-Son

I don't either, and I don't totally disagree with you, but like you said it could very well be because the other guys are so underwhelming, and honestly my predictions for the season are going to be a little less optimistic if a true freshman is starting for us early in the season.

It is VERY rare for a true freshman kid to come in and just wow everybody right off the bat, there is a very good chance they'll be some real stinkers along the way, and it sure doesn't sound like many on here really see that as a possibility or are prepared to go through that. It's more along the lines of if Duggan starts he's got such a great upside we're going to be kicking ass every week.

But the way the schedule is laid out, there is no better year to start a true freshman than this year (Four relatively easy games with a bye week mixed in). The only knock that I'm hearing (articles/podcasts) on Duggan is that he tries to force things at times... if it's truly that close of a battle give him the reins and let him learn over four games given that there will be some leeway if he does in fact force some throws which turns into INTs.

jake102

Will all depend on the defense and if the OL really is as good as it should be. I see the argument in both. My preference is that the defense is out of this world, the OL mauls and Delton is good enough to throw the easy short sideways passes accurately, throw the one read deep ball and run like a madman. That could be enough to win 11 games.

If our defense is good, but not great and the OL is so-so (especially run blocking) and Delton is only able to throw sideways and one read deep, then I'd prefer to go ahead and use Duggan/Collins. I'm not in for watching a QB that can throw about 50% of the routes.

LawFrog504

What if we are 5-0 and Delton is playing well? That's what I hope for.
What will that have proved at that point? We could easily by 6-0 and not be good at all depending on what you think of ISU.

That would give Delton 3 very impressive wins against Kansas, APB, SMU. Feel confident in saying the back half of the schedule will present tougher challenges than those 3

Uh...Ok. I don't recall those schools offering him at least to the extent that offers were reported when there were several threads on here and 247 about whether TCU would offer. Hopefully, he is great. But, it doesn't change the fact that TCU has gone 4 years without a scholarship kicker other than Song, who has had limited production and availability, and the only offer I know of during that period is the kid last year that was already committed to A&M. Maybe we just have different ideas about what it means to prioritize because, especially if you are correct about his offers, he could have easily chosen to go somewhere else where he didn't have to pay his own way.
I'm with you: I would prioritize kicker and all special teams; it is a unit including offense and defense. And seriously, they have 85 schollys to give. I really don't think every third-string type player needs a scholly over a good kicker. Hell, 20 players on full rides will never see a scrimmage down. I hope LHCGP has learned a lesson. Should have learned it after the Arkansas home loss.

puckster59

I'm not saying he WON'T transfer this year because kids transfer all the time for a variety of reasons.

And the leading reason is they want to be THE guy, especially QBs. Hence my GUESS (as stated in the original post) that he will be gone before spring. Your GUESS could be something entirely different.

CountryFrog

And the leading reason is they want to be THE guy, especially QBs. Hence my GUESS (as stated in the original post) that he will be gone before spring. Your GUESS could be something entirely different.
But if the injury is what's holding him back here then it's going to hold him back wherever else he goes too. That's my point. If he was fully 100% himself and being beat out then yes a transfer would seem likely. But he's not by all accounts and that's not going to change by going to a different school.

jake102

God I can’t wait for the season to start (and this thread to disappear).
giphy.gif