• The KillerFrogs

Fall camp thread

jake102

Agree to an extent but it’s still situational. The worst is trying a 40+ yard FG on 4th and less than say 3 yards. That is just dumb at the college level almost no matter who the kicker is. I KNOW the math doesn’t favor that. Thankfully Bill Snyder practically gifted us a game with that Neanderthal thinking in 2015.

No, the worst is punting on 4th and six inches from the opponents 37 yard line. Oh and especially when you punt it into the endzone anyways

Last edited:

Froggish

I'm not sure why it's surprising. We had one kicker who has been inconsistent/injured for the four years he's been on campus, one that has been inconsistent and never looked above average at his best who was run over on his scooter, and brought in a preferred walk-on who has made some nice kicks on Youtube but didn't really have any FBS offers. I'm hoping something comes together for them but if the lack of prioritizing the position bites us in the butt again, I can't look at the situation and wonder how that could be.

Is the kicker thing like injuries where we think we have it worse then others but really a ton of teams have this issue or are we cursed

4th. down

No the worst is punting on 4th and six inches from the opponents 37 yard line. Oh and especially when you punt it into the endzone anyways

Ohhh......why did you have to bring that up? We have the ability to lose it from time to time on things such as this, and game time management late in the game.

Wexahu

I hope Blacklock plays about four snaps against APB. Same with Gladney and Lewis.

They'll be in there mid-3rd quarter even if we're up by 40 unless something has changed. I'm always amazed how long our defensive starters stay in the game against the FCS teams.

We lost a starting safety (Iloka) for the season once on a special teams play of all things in the 3rd quarter of an FCS game.

LawFrog504

Reagor Anderson Barber and Sewo should get every single on offense. We need to OD on these dudes. Do not try and "rotate and spread the wealth" with god awful players who do not get open

4th. down

They'll be in there mid-3rd quarter even if we're up by 40 unless something has changed. I'm always amazed how long our defensive starters stay in the game against the FCS teams.

We lost a starting safety (Iloka) for the season once on a special teams play of all things in the 3rd quarter of an FCS game.

70-0 beginning the 4th. No passing in the 4th. quarter.

CountryFrog

Someone has to cover kicks. I know people love to pile on coaches when guys get hurt playing special teams but it's actually very rare to suffer a severe injury covering kicks. Are we all going to get super upset about Reagor returning kicks and/or punts this year because that's MUCH more dangerous than covering kicks? I'm pretty sure we'll see him back there quite a bit and fans will all be dazzled by his speed and explosiveness. It will only be if he gets injured doing it when it will have become a horrible idea.

Plus with the way Iloka's career played out, it was only a matter of time before he got injured anyway. I really really hate saying that about kids but every year there are a handful of those guys on the team. I can think of at least two on this year's team.

Froggish

Someone has to cover kicks. I know people love to pile on coaches when guys get hurt playing special teams but it's actually very rare to suffer a severe injury covering kicks. Are we all going to get super upset about Reagor returning kicks and/or punts this year because that's MUCH more dangerous than covering kicks? I'm pretty sure we'll see him back there quite a bit and fans will all be dazzled by his speed and explosiveness. It will only be if he gets injured doing it when it will have become a horrible idea.

Plus with the way Iloka's career played out, it was only a matter of time before he got injured anyway. I really really hate saying that about kids but every year there are a handful of those guys on the team. I can think of at least two on this year's team.

I don’t mind Reagor returning kicks but I’d prefer to do it in games that matter. We will beat APB without Reagor even leaving the locker room.

Wexahu

Every year we have about 30 walk ons standing on the sideline that I’m sure would love to get in a game covering kicks in the 3rd quarter against the FCS team. What’s the worst thing that can happen, they run one back and you go from winning by 45 to winning by 38?

PO Frog

Is the kicker thing like injuries where we think we have it worse then others but really a ton of teams have this issue or are we cursed
I think that's closer to the truth than many on here realize. Most people watch so much NFL where the kickers are so great (and I think the ball is easier to kick) that they are spoiled by everything inside 45 being automatic. Song's actual make percentage is pretty good. Granted there have been issues with his availability, but I would bet his FG% is better than average. And he's certainly been good on XPs, which haven't always been automatic for the Frogs.

Edit: just looked it up. Appears that Song is 17-20 over the last two seasons - 8 for 8 two years ago and 9 for 12 last year. Pretty dang good when he's on the field. 81% would have put him in the top 30 or so when comparing nationally to FBS teams.

Wexahu

I think that's closer to the truth than many on here realize. Most people watch so much NFL where the kickers are so great (and I think the ball is easier to kick) that they are spoiled by everything inside 45 being automatic. Song's actual make percentage is pretty good. Granted there have been issues with his availability, but I would bet his FG% is better than average. And he's certainly been good on XPs, which haven't always been automatic for the Frogs.

Edit: just looked it up. Appears that Song is 17-20 over the last two seasons - 8 for 8 two years ago and 9 for 12 last year. Pretty dang good when he's on the field. 81% would have put him in the top 30 or so when comparing nationally to FBS teams.

There’s nothing wrong with Song other than he’s not out there enough. He’s a very solid kicker IMO.

Last edited: