• The KillerFrogs

Fall camp thread

Wexahu

Robinson was hurt in the Iowa State, at which point we went 2-4 over the next six games. Now, would we have beaten OU or WVU even with a healthy Robinson? Eh, probably not. But Kansas and Tech? Yeah, I think you can chalk those two losses up to the injuries. Losing to Kansas I think qualifies as "devastating".

And more than a few people claimed Collins should have been starting all along. Didn't he start against Kansas? The QB situation was going to be a mess no matter who was in there. We finished the season 3-0 with our 3rd or 4th string QB and supposedly 30+ guys out with injuries and we were 4-6 prior to that with our 1st and 2nd string QB and less injured players, so whatever impact all those injuries had didn't really show up in the W/L column.

ticketfrog123

robinson is a good example of a player who the average fans don't have a true understanding of how much the injury impacted his play on the field.

i doubt it cause the injury against, say texas, when reagor was open in the third quarter, but did the shoulder get worse as the season went on and how much did it impact his play.

further more, i do think there were a number of players who didn't miss game time, but missed practice time last year.

Really hard to make the claim his injury severely changed much...won’t know unless he gets good time at Missouri.

He missed a few wide open guys at Ohio State. No injury there...he’s not accurate, sure the banged up shoulder didn’t help as the season went on.

TX_Krötenechse

Blacklock alone was probably worth a game. Blacklock and Gaines together might have been two. If Shawn stays healthy all season, he might’ve clicked and we win a couple more.

Mean Purple

I admit it's kind of pet peeve of mine, but the combination of GP's super secrecy about the nature and type of injury while constantly referencing how many injuries your team has (like last year) is a bad look IMO.
valid point.
But you also have to consider that even if an injured guy is not a starter, how does it affect the 2 deep. Some may say they are 3rd string. Well heck, 3rd string is midseason starter on the Frog roster some years. And starters don't get rotated as much because nobody is behind them to carry short load. (I exclude rcvrs from this as that amount of rotation there is a sore subject).

Mean Purple

Really hard to make the claim his injury severely changed much...won’t know unless he gets good time at Missouri.

He missed a few wide open guys at Ohio State. No injury there...he’s not accurate, sure the banged up shoulder didn’t help as the season went on.
the fact that his mechanics did not seem to develop further, as well as reading the field, brings up a question I think many are afraid to ask. and it aint about the player himself.

Mean Purple

Robinson was hurt in the Iowa State, at which point we went 2-4 over the next six games. Now, would we have beaten OU or WVU even with a healthy Robinson? Eh, probably not. But Kansas and Tech? Yeah, I think you can chalk those two losses up to the injuries. Losing to Kansas I think qualifies as "devastating".
He could not really move well and lost touch on the ball by the end of the Tech game. Pretty sure that was injury related.

CountryFrog

If you think injuries had no impact at all on losing the Kansas game then you're just lost in the "no excuses, next man up" mentality that, while very important for players on the team to believe and buy into, is in reality not at all true. And just there difference in one extra win in football is a big deal, especially when it's Kansas.

Now, you can certainly say that we still should've won the game anyway and I'd agree with that. But if you think injuries had no impact at all on the final record in 2018 then you're being foolish and stubborn. Injuries are a huge factor in every sport at every level on how many games teams win and acting like last year's injuries weren't a factor because they weren't all suffered by future NFL Pro Bowlers is denying an obvious truth of how sports work.

MAcFroggy

We were 7-6 last year, and if not for a butt fumble we would have been 8-5. If you take away a few of the major injuries we could add 1-2 wins as well. That would put us at 9-4 or 10-3.

However, we were also lucky enough to play Iowa State before Brock Purdy started playing. Assuming we would have lost that game even if our injured players were at full strength, that puts us back at a 8-5 or 9-4 season.

Wexahu

If you think injuries had no impact at all on losing the Kansas game then you're just lost in the "no excuses, next man up" mentality that, while very important for players on the team to believe and buy into, is in reality not at all true. And just there difference in one extra win in football is a big deal, especially when it's Kansas.

Now, you can certainly say that we still should've won the game anyway and I'd agree with that. But if you think injuries had no impact at all on the final record in 2018 then you're being foolish and stubborn. Injuries are a huge factor in every sport at every level on how many games teams win and acting like last year's injuries weren't a factor because they weren't all suffered by future NFL Pro Bowlers is denying an obvious truth of how sports work.

I'm not saying injuries had no impact, of course they did. Injuries impact every season for every team. But it was almost like GP couldn't wait to tell everyone how injured his team was, it just seemed like he was fishing for an excuse. Don't want to talk about injuries? Then don't talk about injuries. That's basically it.

4th. down

I'm not saying injuries had no impact, of course they did. Injuries impact every season for every team. But it was almost like GP couldn't wait to tell everyone how injured his team was, it just seemed like he was fishing for an excuse. Don't want to talk about injuries? Then don't talk about injuries. That's basically it.

GP, historically doesn't want to talk about injuries but last year, oh well.

y2kFrog

And more than a few people claimed Collins should have been starting all along. Didn't he start against Kansas? The QB situation was going to be a mess no matter who was in there. We finished the season 3-0 with our 3rd or 4th string QB and supposedly 30+ guys out with injuries and we were 4-6 prior to that with our 1st and 2nd string QB and less injured players, so whatever impact all those injuries had didn't really show up in the W/L column.

We only won one game Collins started and finished. The thrilling 14-13 victory over Kansas St.

y2kFrog

We were 7-6 last year, and if not for a butt fumble we would have been 8-5. If you take away a few of the major injuries we could add 1-2 wins as well. That would put us at 9-4 or 10-3.

However, we were also lucky enough to play Iowa State before Brock Purdy started playing. Assuming we would have lost that game even if our injured players were at full strength, that puts us back at a 8-5 or 9-4 season.

Just think where we would have been if didn’t take them 2/3 of the season to figure out they needed to get the ball to Reagor.

McGregor's Goat

This is how I see it as well. I'm surprised to see that there are people who think Robinson was kind of good pre-injury. He was bad against SMU and Texas, and absolutely could not see safeties standing right in front of him when he threw. Maybe he gets better at Missouri, but he was bad in 2018.

4th. down

This is how I see it as well. I'm surprised to see that there are people who think Robinson was kind of good pre-injury. He was bad against SMU and Texas, and absolutely could not see safeties standing right in front of him when he threw. Maybe he gets better at Missouri, but he was bad in 2018.

3/10 for 44 yds. and rushed 2 times for -7 yds. in the Missouri spring game. No good, and bad karma - glad he's gone out of our locker room. We've got good chemistry now, ready to rock.

Last edited:

Mean Purple

9-3 Got Florida into the Peach Bowl last year.

H0RNEDFR0G

I thought he got injured @ SMU.