• The KillerFrogs

Fall camp thread

Mean Purple

I follow more teams that most. And do so through their respective local and related online media. Very hard to find anybody who had anywhere near what we had last year and a couple of years before that.
GP should have gotten a national award past year for getting that squad to 7.

jake102

I think unfortunately we've had two seasons recently (2015? and 2018) where we were probably the most injured team in P5. Most seasons we are about on par with the average... knock on wood we are way healthier than usual this year.

Although it sounds like GP is being very tactical about sitting older, experienced guys. Which is a brilliant move... if they have experience, know the playbook and are in shape, no need to break them every day.

Wexahu

Likely based on past experience. So the nerves about injuries seems warranted in these parts. more than 30 guys missed 4 or more games last year. Significant injuries in the 20s.

No, they didn't. At least not 30 that were going to play any kind of significant minutes. If you disagree, name them. I don't think our offense had more than a few guys out for any more than a game or two at most. Shawn Robinson, Collins, Cordel, the WR from Paschal....who else?

We definitely had injury issues last year, but the numbers got embellished quite a bit.

Wexahu

Believe Anderson was out a few games, Turpin left team

I don't think he was out more than one or two but let's say he was. Him + Turpin and the others I named. 24 more to go. Who were they? Blacklock, Gaines, Summers, Bowen, Onyamoabi (sp?). Still 19 to go, I'm sure I missed a few but I have no idea how that 30 number gets thrown out there, it's not even close in terms of kids missing more than a couple games. Again, at least kids that were maybe going to play.

Froggish

I don't think he was out more than one or two but let's say he was. Him + Turpin and the others I named. 24 more to go. Who were they? Blacklock, Gaines, Summers, Bowen, Onyamoabi (sp?). Still 19 to go, I'm sure I missed a few but I have no idea how that 30 number gets thrown out there, it's not even close in terms of kids missing more than a couple games. Again, at least kids that were maybe going to play.

Obviously there aren’t 30 guys who play significant snaps on the team but we had a pretty high number of injuries....the 30 number was a GP# so who knows

Zubaz

I get your point that the number seems a bit inflated and likely includes practice squad / 3rd string guys...but I think you're being a bit dismissive of the impact that losing our starting QB and his backup, with the presumed third stringer still being injured from a high school injury, our best running back, our starting DT, S, and LB, and the most experienced WR / best special teams player in TCU history has on a team. Not too many teams face that kind of injury attrition over the course of a year.

Wexahu

I get your point that the number seems a bit inflated and likely includes practice squad / 3rd string guys...but I think you're being a bit dismissive of the impact that losing our starting QB and his backup, with the presumed third stringer still being injured from a high school injury, our best running back, our starting DT, S, and LB, and the most experienced WR / best special teams player in TCU history has on a team. Not too many teams face that kind of injury attrition over the course of a year.

Other than Blacklock and Gaines I don't think any injury we had was THAT devastating. Cordel was talked about like he was indispensable but losing an otherwise unheralded interior O-lineman shouldn't completely derail an offense. As for the QBs I'm not sure we had a good starter in the lot so even if healthy that position was going to struggle. And Turpin wasn't an injury.

I just thought the whole injury line last year used by GP sounded an awful lot like a convenient excuse for some really bad play. Yes, it would have been nice to have some of the other players available but it's not like we had a great team at full strength, not with the QB situation. I thought the injuries hit us a lot worse in 2015.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Wex is probably right...
yRO9z8n.jpg

Eight

the numbers that got tossed around at times last year and going into this year just don't seem to match the actual information provided by tcu on games played by the players of tcu's 2018 roster.

i do think there were a number of guys who played hurt last year (i.e. sewo, reagor) some who never really got well last year (darius), and some things that weren't injury related that hurt this team.

i do agree that losing two quarterbacks hurt a great deal last year and there were some things a bit out of the ordinary (turpin, joe broadnax)

top of my head guys who missed with injuries:

niko
ross b (season)
innis (half the season)
darius
atanza (season)
mike collins
d. thomas (most of the season)
montrell (season)
mike o (season)
bowen (half the season)
summers
lanz (season)
hollins
robinson (half the season)
myers
cordel (2/3 of the season)
heights

hard to say on some of the others as we don't know if tevallance and stephens didn' t play because they weren't ready or injury.

Mean Purple

No, they didn't. At least not 30 that were going to play any kind of significant minutes. If you disagree, name them. I don't think our offense had more than a few guys out for any more than a game or two at most. Shawn Robinson, Collins, Cordel, the WR from Paschal....who else?

We definitely had injury issues last year, but the numbers got embellished quite a bit.
So you call GP a liar?

Zubaz

Other than Blacklock and Gaines I don't think any injury we had was THAT devastating.
I mean, we ended up down to the 4th stringer on the single most important position in college football. You can say Robinson wasn't that great even before his injury (I disagree, personally), but the drop from him to Collins was substantial, and the gap between Collins and Muehlstein even more so. Anderson was also a huge loss.

And yeah, any one injury might not be "that devastating" in and of itself, but the cumulative effect of THAT MANY starters and key contributors shouldn't really be ignored.

Wexahu

I mean, we ended up down to the 4th stringer on the single most important position in college football. You can say Robinson wasn't that great even before his injury (I disagree, personally), but the drop from him to Collins was substantial, and the gap between Collins and Muehlstein even more so. Anderson was also a huge loss.

And yeah, any one injury might not be "that devastating" in and of itself, but the cumulative effect of THAT MANY starters and key contributors shouldn't really be ignored.

What was our record while that 4th stringer was playing and what would our record have been in the games he played had someone else been in there? How much impact did it really have?

Mean Purple

No, I'm not. Lots of ways things can be interpreted or construed. I'm saying that we didn't have 30 kids injured and unable to play who otherwise would have played in a meaningful game.
Dude, we had somewhere between 11 - 13 starters miss during this past Spring alone. Trying to get guys healthy. But I'm sure they were banged up from moving back into the dorm or something.
Our injury bug last year was far from over blown.

Wexahu

Dude, we had somewhere between 11 - 13 starters miss during this past Spring alone. Trying to get guys healthy. But I'm sure they were banged up from moving back into the dorm or something.
Our injury bug last year was far from over blown.

I admit it's kind of pet peeve of mine, but the combination of GP's super secrecy about the nature and type of injury while constantly referencing how many injuries your team has (like last year) is a bad look IMO.

Zubaz

What was our record while that 4th stringer was playing and what would our record have been in the games he played had someone else been in there? How much impact did it really have?
Robinson was hurt in the Iowa State, at which point we went 2-4 over the next six games. Now, would we have beaten OU or WVU even with a healthy Robinson? Eh, probably not. But Kansas and Tech? Yeah, I think you can chalk those two losses up to the injuries. Losing to Kansas I think qualifies as "devastating".

Eight

Robinson was hurt in the Iowa State, at which point we went 2-4 over the next six games. Now, would we have beaten OU or WVU even with a healthy Robinson? Eh, probably not. But Kansas and Tech? Yeah, I think you can chalk those two losses up to the injuries. Losing to Kansas I think qualifies as "devastating".

robinson is a good example of a player who the average fans don't have a true understanding of how much the injury impacted his play on the field.

i doubt it because of the injury against, say texas, when reagor was open in the third quarter, he threw the interception but did the shoulder get worse as the season went on and how much did it impact his play.

further more, i do think there were a number of players who didn't miss game time, but missed practice time last year.

Last edited: