• The KillerFrogs

Fall camp thread

y2kFrog

You would think so but word is Max is closing fast.

I would think something is up. If Delton was truly hands down the starter at this point, it would be announced. Last year, Robinson was named stater on August 18. If drags on past today, which it appears to be doing reading the tweets, I don’t think it is as cut and dried as some people make it seem.

Wexahu

I would think something is up. If Delton was truly hands down the starter at this point, it would be announced. Last year, Robinson was named stater on August 18. If drags on past today, which it appears to be doing reading the tweets, I don’t think it is as cut and dried as some people make it seem.

And Rogers just seems to be kind of out there in who knows where land. If he ends up the starter at some point that would be a major head fake by GP.

Froggish

I don’t really believe anything he says to reporters. Often I think he’s trying to encourage kids that are really struggling by talking them up, which is kind of Coaching 101.

I prefer pissed off GP because then you know that he knows he’s got something.

Agreed....What we do know is GP is very often using the media to send players a message a divert others from knowing anything...It’s well known we have a LB depth issue but If we take GP at face value we have 1 Unbelievable Freshman LB (Wyatt), 1 Fantastic Soph LB (Van Zandt), and one Freshman who reminds him of Ty in (Winters)...I don’t think he intends to blow smoke but you can often tell when he’s sending a message or shrouding a problem.

IMHO he’s shrouding an issue at LB

McFroggin

The difference is the available player personnel. Last year, SR was essentially the boy king while MC was the transfer learning the ropes. No one else had a shot at starting.

This year we have 2 transfers that were both told they could compete immediately (compete not PT), returning starter MC, slow-healing JR, and a promising young freshman. GP is going to hold true to his promises that everyone is getting a fair chance. Naming a starter early will only be discouraging to other QB’s. The rest of the team clearly sees what is happening.

With that said, Delton is clearly far ahead right now. I don’t think anyone can catch him by game 1, but it sure as hell helps to have a plethora of young QB’s push each other while GP holds true to his word.

Moose Stuff

Agreed....What we do know is GP is very often using the media to send players a message a divert others from knowing anything...It’s well known we have a LB depth issue but If we take GP at face value we have 1 Unbelievable Freshman LB (Wyatt), 1 Fantastic Soph LB (Van Zandt), and one Freshman who reminds him of Ty in (Winters)...I don’t think he intends to blow smoke but you can often tell when he’s sending a message or shrouding a problem.

IMHO he’s shrouding an issue at LB

Or maybe he’s being honest because pretty much every time he sticks someone there they end up being really good (Travin Howard for example). Who the hell knows???

Last edited:

netty2424

This where I’m at. It may end up Delton under center to start, but if it’s so clear cut, name Delton and start game planning.
The difference is the available player personnel. Last year, SR was essentially the boy king while MC was the transfer learning the ropes. No one else had a shot at starting.

This year we have 2 transfers that were both told they could compete immediately (compete not PT), returning starter MC, slow-healing JR, and a promising young freshman. GP is going to hold true to his promises that everyone is getting a fair chance. Naming a starter early will only be discouraging to other QB’s. The rest of the team clearly sees what is happening.

With that said, Delton is clearly far ahead right now. I don’t think anyone can catch him by game 1, but it sure as hell helps to have a plethora of young QB’s push each other while GP holds true to his word.
If Delton is “clearly far ahead” it would be no surprise if he were named. Players know the pecking order in practice. This is no secret to them.

Wexahu

This where I’m at. It may end up Delton under center to start, but if it’s so clear cut, name Delton and start game planning.

If Delton is “clearly far ahead” it would be no surprise if he were named. Players know the pecking order in practice. This is no secret to them.

It’s a secret to the opponent though. I know it’s APB and then we have a week off but it’s also GP. Maybe he thinks by not naming a QB we’ll still he kind of undecided and Purdue will have to prepare for 2 QBs. Hell II don’t know but it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s GP’s angle here.

Last edited:

LawFrog504

With regard to GP quotes, I always think back to 17 when he wanted more from Ross Blacklock. So in camp he was saying true freshman Corey Bethley was "really impressive" and "is the starter there right now" in order to motivate Ross. Ross started every game that year. Bottom line- who tf knows

MTfrog5

With regard to GP quotes, I always think back to 17 when he wanted more from Ross Blacklock. So in camp he was saying true freshman Corey Bethley was "really impressive" and "is the starter there right now" in order to motivate Ross. Ross started every game that year. Bottom line- who tf knows
Not disagreeing with your point, but didn’t Bethley start every game at the other DT spot that year?

netty2424

It’s a secret to the opponent though. I know it’s APB and then we have a week off but it’s also GP. Maybe he thinks by not naming a QB we’ll still he kind of undecided and Purdue will have to prepare for 2 QBs. Hell II don’t know but it wouldn’t surprise me if that’s GP’s angle here.
There’s a level of strategy to the point it hits insanity.

Delton has so little tape out there despite being a 5th year, at a new program, in a rumored new offensive system.

I’d say APB has more than enough to worry about with limited resources than who’s named as a first time starter for TCU today, or in a week.

Wexahu

There’s a level of strategy to the point it hits insanity.

Delton has so little tape out there despite being a 5th year, at a new program, in a rumored new offensive system.

I’d say APB has more than enough to worry about with limited resources than who’s named as a first time starter for TCU today, or in a week.

I’m saying multiple QBs might play about an even amount of time against APB but he’ll still say the job is up for grabs going into the Purdue game. Not that he’s trying to fool APB or that’s he’s at all worried about them.

puckster59

My guess is that Delton's the starter unless he's hurt. Duggan, at this point, probably needs the reps more than Delton simply because he's going to be the No. 2 and has to be ready at the drop of a hat. (And yes, both are new to TCU, but one has never played a snap of college football.)