• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Purp

Yeah, if having ESPN starts bleeding me to the tune of $300 a year I’m out.
I'm with you. It'll be interesting how it all shakes out. I've held out this long bc I'm already paying them with my TV service subscription. I'm not interested in paying them again for a somewhat fringe sport. But if one of my main teams ends up being broadcast routinely on ESPN+ I might break down. I think ESPN knows sports fans are a unique target market who possess a loyalty to their teams similar to that of a religious person. I'm hoping as the subscriber base for + increases the costs will continue to tick down. I don't have much confidence in that, though. I'm also worried that the regional networks they just bought will have their properties pushed to + as a way of forcing us to subscribe.

dawg

So the Bundesliga sold their TV rights to ESPN, and will start streaming on ESPN+ in the 2020/21 season. I'm sure that will come with more coverage for the entire league, but I think visibility in the states will take a massive nose dive. I loved the Fox coverage (I guess it helps being a fan of one of the European giants since their games were always televised), and I think that helped make the Bundesliga the 2nd most popular league behind the EPL. My hate for all things ESPN will have to take a backseat to watching my club I guess.

Fox acutally did a pretty good job with Bundesliga. Between FS1 and 2, not to mention Der Klassiker was on "Big Fox" a few years running. Hopefully they'll show matches on News, U, or The Deuce and not force everything to ESPN+ (because I'm with you guys in never getting +). I finally cut the cord and have no intention of EVER paying north of $80 for television again (I'll start YouTubeTV for $50 when CFB kicks off; a few friends had it last year, and they have every channel needed for TCU FB).

Chongo94

So the Bundesliga sold their TV rights to ESPN, and will start streaming on ESPN+ in the 2020/21 season. I'm sure that will come with more coverage for the entire league, but I think visibility in the states will take a massive nose dive. I loved the Fox coverage (I guess it helps being a fan of one of the European giants since their games were always televised), and I think that helped make the Bundesliga the 2nd most popular league behind the EPL. My hate for all things ESPN will have to take a backseat to watching my club I guess.

Damnit. This pisses me off so much. They’ll probably show it just like they do their Serie A coverage, which is to say just pipe in the Italian feed, have zero pre and post game discussion and show zero league highlight shows and informative shows.

tcujsauce

Damnit. This pisses me off so much. They’ll probably show it just like they do their Serie A coverage, which is to say just pipe in the Italian feed, have zero pre and post game discussion and show zero league highlight shows and informative shows.

And that will be a travesty, bc the Fox network coverage of the Bundesliga was absolutely incredible between the matches and all the weekly special features, pre/mid/post match commentary, etc. and Kate Abdo. :(

Chongo94

And that will be a travesty, bc the Fox network coverage of the Bundesliga was absolutely incredible between the matches and all the weekly special features, pre/mid/post match commentary, etc. and Kate Abdo. :(

Totally. All those weekly special features were great. I think they were more Bundesliga produced than Fox produced but at least Fox aired them. Espn won’t do jack, except kill everything they touch ugh.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)
1740837.gif

Portland Frog

tcujsauce

German SuperCup is currently airing on main Fox channel.

Not an ideal outcome lol. Bayern is in a tough spot right now. Kovac really wants to run a 4-3-3 system, but lacks one winger and a true 6 to run it effectively, so they are in this fluctuating 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 nonsense. Depth is also an issue, one or two injuries away from tragedy. Need to wrap this Sané business up, go get Marc Roca, and maybe Ziyech from Ajax for added midfield/winger depth.

Last edited:

Chongo94

Deadline day for the EPL is almost done. Some very interesting moves made this transfer period. A lot of “video game all stars but unproven on the big stage” players coming in.

Veterans going to smaller teams. Everton trying to push into the top 6. Chelsea and Arsenal’s potential craziness with David Luiz.

Took a while but this transfer period finally got rolling.

Last edited:

tcujsauce

Deadline day for the EPL is almost done. Some very interesting moves made this transfer period. A lot of “video game all stars but unproven on the big stage” players coming in.

Veterans going to smaller teams. Everton trying to push into the top 6. Chelsea and Arsenal’s potential craziness with David Luiz.

Took a while but this transfer period finally got rolling.

Everton should be top 6 with that badass new stadium.

Don’t forget Wayne Rooney to be player-coach for Derby County.

Also would like to send a special f u shoutout to Pep Guardiola for letting Leroy Sané sit on the bench all last season, then start him in a meaningless game only for him to tear his ACL and further complicate (and possibly ruin) his desired move to Bayern.

dawg

"You have to call it." No, Anton Chigurh will not come visit you with a cattle gun if you're incorrect.

Champions: Liverpool.
CL Places: City, Spurs, Chelsea
Europa League: Arsenal, Wolves
"Everton Trophy" (7th): West Ham
Relegated: Newcastle, Brighton, Sheffield United.

Footy is back!

Chongo94

"You have to call it." No, Anton Chigurh will not come visit you with a cattle gun if you're incorrect.

Champions: Liverpool.
CL Places: City, Spurs, Chelsea
Europa League: Arsenal, Wolves
"Everton Trophy" (7th): West Ham
Relegated: Newcastle, Brighton, Sheffield United.

Footy is back!

Still calling Liverpool even with Alisson’s injury today?

dawg

Still calling Liverpool even with Alisson’s injury today?

Wow....Picks were made before I knew about it. That’s ‘uuuuuge (and seriously dents their League hopes) if he’s out for any extended period.

@Purp, apparently Allison was helped off with a “calf injury,” and Klopp won’t know the extent until his scans are done tomorrow. Apparently, their only fit keeper is some dude named Adrian, just signed from West Ham.

Edit: What @Chongo94 said.