• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: Beer sales coming to TCU's Amon G. Carter Stadium!

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Beer sales coming to TCU's Amon G. Carter Stadium!

By Jeremy Clark

Beer is coming to Amon G. Carter stadium beginning this season! TCU athletic director Jeremiah Donati made the big announcement through his Twitter account on Tuesday morning and cheers could be heard for miles from Frog fans.

Today I am excited to announce we will now make beer available for purchase to the public throughout the stadium. We look forward to seeing @MillerCoors and @sodexoUSA deliver a great experience for our fans," Donati said in his Tweet.

Read more at https://247sports.com/college/tcu/Article/Beer-sales-coming-to-TCUs-Amon-G-Carter-Stadium-134227695/

Limp Lizard

So numerous extra patrons will be drawn due to beer sales? Does that mean an exodus at the beginning of the 4th quarter, when beer sales are shut down? Assuming we get all these extra people in the stands due only to beer sales. For years beer sales have been the panacea for all that ails the football attendance issue. Sure seems to me that those who come only due to beer sales would leave after the 3rd quarter.

Plus, how much griping over paying $7.00 for a beer. And of course griping about not selling beer the entire game.:rolleyes:

Be nice to have beer during a game, but I don't see it as the cure-all.

At least now whining on this board can be restricted to video board size, sound system, incomplete east side of stadium, west side lower bowl, band song selection, play calling ....and of course price and availability of beer late in games.

Purp

So numerous extra patrons will be drawn due to beer sales? Does that mean an exodus at the beginning of the 4th quarter, when beer sales are shut down? Assuming we get all these extra people in the stands due only to beer sales. For years beer sales have been the panacea for all that ails the football attendance issue. Sure seems to me that those who come only due to beer sales would leave after the 3rd quarter.

Plus, how much griping over paying $7.00 for a beer. And of course griping about not selling beer the entire game.:rolleyes:

Be nice to have beer during a game, but I don't see it as the cure-all.

At least now whining on this board can be restricted to video board size, sound system, incomplete east side of stadium, west side lower bowl, band song selection, play calling ....and of course price and availability of beer late in games.
I think this misses the point on the call for beer sales. It wasn't a bunch of alcoholics pining for beer in the stadium to keep their buzz going. I don't expect you'll see a mass exodus in the 4th quarter either unless the game is a blow out one way or the other. Remember, they'll get a fresh beer to start the 4th quarter. That will at least carry them several game minutes into the 4th quarter.

For the TCU fans who don't return in the 2nd half our football games are a social event for them and reuniting with friends they don't see as often as they used to is important to them. For better or worse, those relationships are more important to these fans than the games are. I think this is the primary reason our tailgate scene is as good as it is.

Socializing for these typically/often happens with libations. By providing them an opportunity to drink a beer together in their seats (or in a shady concourse at half time) we're more likely to keep those fans in the stadium who also have a strong desire to watch the game (just not as strong as their desire to hang out with buddies).

4 Oaks Frog

My seats have been in the lower west side bowl for many years. During that time I’ve seen many changes. First the old AGC, then the demolition, then the reconstruction with wide isles, then the addition of drink tables, then what’s next. It gone from an intimate, packed, loud, engaged home side, to a spread out, quite many times, not involved stadium seating area dotted with the opposing team’s colors. We used to be packed in with Frog Fans that were our AGC pals. Mostly now it seems to be an area where you meet new people. Don’t get me wrong! It is a wonderful place from which to watch the game, but the atmosphere is not as much fun as it used to be. I hate that I will have to give up the seats after this season.

What does this have to do with selling beer in AGC? As much as the physical changes over time to the west bowl has eroded the enjoyment of watching the game, the selling of beer in my section is the change that I hate the most. The constant hawking of “Cold Beer” by the vendors, the attitude of vendors not minding that they are in your way of seeing the play, supposed fans impolitely clamoring around the vendor blocking your view of the game just so they can get their beer on, the constant passing beer and money back and forth to the beer buyer down the row, the obnoxious loud mouth drunks...particularly when it’s a opposition fan...the drunk throw up, and the rubber gloved staff coming to clean it up (happened in our section three times last season). All of this has come from the sell of beer. I like cold beer, but the price you pay, and I don’t mean dollars, just isn’t worth it in my opinion.

So, be careful what you wish for. You just might get it. OOPS! We just did...

GO FROGS !
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!!

Limp Lizard

First of all I don't mind the selling of beer in the stadium, as long as it is done correctly like other places in the country. It's just that I never saw it as a cause for a huge increase in attendance. We will see if there is an exodus in the fourth quarter.

I still bet some will whine about $7.00 beers, which is probably in line with a lot of venues, and a lot less than $10.00 beers in the Rose Bowl 10 years ago. Wonder how much they are now? Limey's $12 is probably closer to the mark.

Purp

First of all I don't mind the selling of beer in the stadium, as long as it is done correctly like other places in the country. It's just that I never saw it as a cause for a huge increase in attendance. We will see if there is an exodus in the fourth quarter.

I still bet some will whine about $7.00 beers, which is probably in line with a lot of venues, and a lot less than $10.00 beers in the Rose Bowl 10 years ago. Wonder how much they are now? Limey's $12 is probably closer to the mark.
$7 beer for a sporting event like Big 12 football is extremely good relative to what you'll pay at other places. I'm sure people will complain, but not very many. Mostly fairly recent grads who will be more price conscious. Otherwise, there's not much reason to complain.

Limp Lizard

$7 beer for a sporting event like Big 12 football is extremely good relative to what you'll pay at other places. I'm sure people will complain, but not very many. Mostly fairly recent grads who will be more price conscious. Otherwise, there's not much reason to complain.
I hope so. Consider recent grads see nothing in paying huge prices for a concert of a mediocre band.

HFrog12

Its not the exodus in the 4th quarter that is the problem when the game is lopsided. It's the exodus at half time that don't come back until late in the 3rd or at all. I feel this will deter a lot of people from leaving the game permanently if they know they can't get back in to watch the second half of B12 action.

Limp Lizard

Its not the exodus in the 4th quarter that is the problem when the game is lopsided. It's the exodus at half time that don't come back until late in the 3rd or at all. I feel this will deter a lot of people from leaving the game permanently if they know they can't get back in to watch the second half of B12 action.
I hope you are right.

CountryFrog

My seats have been in the lower west side bowl for many years. During that time I’ve seen many changes. First the old AGC, then the demolition, then the reconstruction with wide isles, then the addition of drink tables, then what’s next. It gone from an intimate, packed, loud, engaged home side, to a spread out, quite many times, not involved stadium seating area dotted with the opposing team’s colors. We used to be packed in with Frog Fans that were our AGC pals. Mostly now it seems to be an area where you meet new people. Don’t get me wrong! It is a wonderful place from which to watch the game, but the atmosphere is not as much fun as it used to be. I hate that I will have to give up the seats after this season.

What does this have to do with selling beer in AGC? As much as the physical changes over time to the west bowl has eroded the enjoyment of watching the game, the selling of beer in my section is the change that I hate the most. The constant hawking of “Cold Beer” by the vendors, the attitude of vendors not minding that they are in your way of seeing the play, supposed fans impolitely clamoring around the vendor blocking your view of the game just so they can get their beer on, the constant passing beer and money back and forth to the beer buyer down the row, the obnoxious loud mouth drunks...particularly when it’s a opposition fan...the drunk throw up, and the rubber gloved staff coming to clean it up (happened in our section three times last season). All of this has come from the sell of beer. I like cold beer, but the price you pay, and I don’t mean dollars, just isn’t worth it in my opinion.

So, be careful what you wish for. You just might get it. OOPS! We just did...

GO FROGS !
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!!
While you're spot on about having more drunk fans around you, the rest of what you're describing (while it will no doubt be happening somewhere in the stadium at some point) seems like a lot of worrying about things that are rarely if ever going to effect any one individual.

But if just the POSSIBILITY of these things happening around you makes you not want to go to the games anymore then I'll take your West side lower bowl seat!

4 Oaks Frog

While you're spot on about having more drunk fans around you, the rest of what you're describing (while it will no doubt be happening somewhere in the stadium at some point) seems like a lot of worrying about things that are rarely if ever going to effect any one individual

But if just the POSSIBILITY of these things happening around you makes you not want to go to the games anymore then I'll take your West side lower bowl seat!

Hey Country...If it was just a concern that it might be like what a described, I would never gone to the trouble of posting anything about it. I simply described what HAS happened in the lower west bowl since beer sales started there. Never once have I ever given it a thought to not using my seats. I will be there early before first kick, through halftime, until the last note of the school song. I just wanted you to know that your section will change, and suffer from the very same distractions that I mentioned. Perhaps you won’t mind those distractions, but you will soon see. Bottoms Up and tip your beer guy!
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Hey Country...If it was just a concern that it might be like what a described, I would never gone to the trouble of posting anything about it. I simply described what HAS happened in the lower west bowl since beer sales started there. Never once have I ever given it a thought to not using my seats. I will be there early before first kick, through halftime, until the last note of the school song. I just wanted you to know that your section will change, and suffer from the very same distractions that I mentioned. Perhaps you won’t mind those distractions, but you will soon see. Bottoms Up and tip your beer guy!
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
There won’t be beer hawkers walking the aisles in the stadium except in the lower west side. Beer only sold at concession stands everywhere else.

CountryFrog

GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Sounds like you've just been very unlucky then. I've been to countless football, basketball, baseball games both pro and college at venues in 20+ states and have NEVER seen most of what you're describing. I know it all happens from time to time but I've never actually seen it live and in person myself.

Or maybe I'm just extremely lucky.

TRF51

I think having beer in the stadium will be a good thing and probably bring in a younger louder crowd. I also think a lot of people will drink a lot less and people won’t be as intoxicated as they are now from all the over consumption that happens before the game. I know I have boat raced a lot of beers before the game and at half time because I knew I would not have a drink for hours. So if your argument is that you won’t enjoy the game because everyone will be drunk and acting a fool around you I think you are wrong.

Ray Finkle

If oil goes back below $50, I’ll probably be forced to flask-in some Old Crow while you high rollers drink your Miller Lites.