• The KillerFrogs

Could this be a “win now” kind of season?

Froggish

Really no such thing as “win now” in college football but this seasons team seems to be about as top to bottom talented as we’ve had since joining the Big12...Well probably behind 14 but it’s close..

So I’m curious..Given how many projected senior starters we have (12...?) and a few underclassmen that could project to the NFL (Reagor/Blacklock), it feel like it could be the kind of the year that there’s a little more on the line. Would seem to be a shame to see all this senior talent get let down by bad QB play and injuries again.

Really want to see these seniors go out big. Although there is no such thing as win now it feel like this one could be.

texas_sicilian

Really no such thing as “win now” in college football but this seasons team seems to be about as top to bottom talented as we’ve had since joining the Big12...Well probably behind 14 but it’s close..

So I’m curious..Given how many projected senior starters we have (12...?) and a few underclassmen that could project to the NFL (Reagor/Blacklock), it feel like it could be the kind of the year that there’s a little more on the line. Would seem to be a shame to see all this senior talent get let down by bad QB play and injuries again.

Really want to see these seniors go out big. Although there is no such thing as win now it feel like this one could be.
All boils down to QB. Have all the tools and talent to blow it up this year.

Limp Lizard

It all depends on the offense and how it executes. We know the defense will be fine. In other words how good a job does Cumbie does. And I don't mean play calling...we could have brought the best play caller in the world last seasons (on Saturdays only, just play calling) and maybe have gotten one more win. The coordinators make or break the team Sunday through Friday.

With 5 QB's we surely have at least one or two who can excel at this level. If not, bye bye Cumbie. OTOH, I hope he excels...if we lose him to another team after the season, that's OK. That's what happens with most good coordinators. The best situation would be for Cumbie to have a great season and stay.

Of course, it all is a wreck if we have injuries like last season. Hopefully GP has at least some answers to last season. Or just a year of bad luck which will never be repeated?

MTfrog5

Defense I guess you could make that argument and Reagor will be gone, but this is the deepest our roster has ever been IMO. 2021 is the year I’m really looking forward to especially if we see Rogers or Duggan this year

tcudoc

Winnow-
verb (used with object)

1. to free (grain) from the lighter particles of chaff, dirt, etc., especially by throwing it into the air and allowing the wind or a forced current of air to blow away impurities.
  2. to drive or blow (chaff, dirt, etc.) away by fanning.
  3. to blow upon; fan.

This season will blow?

The efficiency at the QB position and the ability of this team to perform well on the road will be the factors that

ultimately determine this season's fortunes.

LeagueCityFrog

Gary said this team has at least 8 NFL draft picks on it. When does Gary ever put his balls out there preseason like that? This season will be about good, simplified offensive play calling and coaches Luper, Thomsen, and the new receivers coach OU's Malcolm Kelly on the field keeping the offensive players chill, focused, and executing at a high level. While Cumbie is up in the box calling plays to shred Big XII defenses up with Glasgow helping him with suggestions.

Gary is going to have his best ever defense fielded this season.

Schedule builds and sets up well too.

A lot of pressure on our strength and conditioning coach building bodies that gets the maximum players out of our two a days unlike last Fall camp, but still minted TCU tough forged by that Texas heat.

Calling it now, Frogs 11-1 and we beat OU in Arlington, 12-1, and we start hearing Clemson fans chanting, "We want TCU..."

MTfrog5

Gary said this team has at least 8 NFL draft picks on it. When does Gary ever put his balls out there preseason like that? This season will be about good, simplified offensive play calling and coaches Luper, Thomsen, and the new receivers coach OU's Malcolm Kelly on the field keeping the offensive players chill, focused, and executing at a high level. While Cumbie is up in the box calling plays to shred Big XII defenses up with Glasgow helping him with suggestions.

Gary is going to have his best ever defense fielded this season.

Schedule builds and sets up well too.

A lot of pressure on our strength and conditioning coach building bodies that gets the maximum players out of our two a days unlike last Fall camp, but still minted TCU tough forged by that Texas heat.

Calling it now, Frogs 11-1 and we beat OU in Arlington, 12-1, and we start hearing Clemson fans chanting, "We want TCU..."
Based on how Clemson has handled OU recently, I think they’d rather play OU imo. Clemson fans are still some of the best I’ve ever encountered

Eight

i think in regards to an opportunity presenting itself that hasn't been there for a few years there is a sense of urgency, but in regards to this being the peak of the roster type thing no.

i agree with those who have said there is a great deal of young talent on the roster.

consider the front 6 of the defense. frogs have 23 scholarship players on the current roster who play in the defensive line or linebacker. 2 of those 23 are seniors (blackshear and montrel wilson) and even if big ross were to leave the frogs return to project 6 other defensive tackles.

crazy part is there is a load of young talent that we just don't know what they truly can do , but the upside is as high as anytime in the program under patterson.

yes, there might be a few players who the frogs can't quite replace to the same degree of their skills or ability (i.e. jeff gladney or lucas niang), but there really isn't a spot on the roster where you don't have a group of young talent and there might be more true competition across the roster for back up roles than any other patterson team.

after looking at the roster i understand why the wanted robinson to be a hit at quarterback. you add an experienced, proven quarterback to this roster for 2019 and 2020 and this is a team that could do some serious damage.

still might, people stay healthy, some young players develop, and they get solid production from the quarterback position.

Talent wise, I think this is about as good as I've felt going into a season since we've been in the Big 12. As has been pointed out, maintaining the health of key players, finding a QB, and the ability of the OC to put together a cohesive, coherent offense are the question marks. The schedule on the road is difficult but overall it can be manageable if the question marks get answered and they are able to play with confidence.