• The KillerFrogs

Poll: What QB gets the most B12 snaps

Pick Him-Who gets the most snaps in B12 play?

• Delton

Votes: 40 29.4%
  • Collins

Votes: 14 10.3%
  • Duggan

Votes: 57 41.9%
  • Rogers

Votes: 20 14.7%
  • Baldwin

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters

Eight

interesting question on hurts.

first two years he threw a great deal of shorter stuff and actually lead alabama in rushing attempts in 2017 and 2018.

tua takes over in 2019 and the offense opens up a bit throwing the ball down the field.

bama averaged less than 10 yards a pass attempt in 2017 and 2018 and just over 11.5 a completion in 2017 and 13.5 ypc in 2018

tua in 2019 average over 11 yards per attempt and over 16 yards per completion.

funny thing is hurts numbers in limited action don't vary that much from tua in 2019.
jalen was 10.9 per pass attempt, 15.0 yards per completion, and a touchdown ever 8.8 attempts.

lane kiffin was the oc in 2016, brian daboll in 2017, and mike locksley in 2018.

Froggish

I don’t have it in me to build a case, but I think it can probably be argued that Jalen Hurts was a game manager for Bama.

You could be right. However Bama has traditionally had the kind of talent on both sides of the ball that a QB doesn’t necessarily have to elevate them into playoff contention. TCU and just about every program not named Alabama/Clemson have to get playmaking ability from the QB position. Not just consistent playmaking ability, but also some critical explosiveness.

Keep in mind that getting into the playoffs is much different then getting to 10 wins or contending for a Big12 title. We know we can win 10 every year with a game manager...Do we want more? I don’t know how GP feels about that as he’s pretty conservative. What I do know is that OU certainly hasn’t settled for a game manager at QB and their talent level says they would have a better chance of pulling that off then us..Why do you think that’s the case? My guess is 10 wins isn’t enough for their program or their fan base. Why should it be enough for us?

I get it, turnovers and mistakes are frustrating as hell. But, I’d rather take my chances and aspire towards greatness while we still have GP. It’s not because we can’t get their with anyone else, but it’s because even in frustrating seasons lGP is good enough to keep us from dropping into the abyss. Essentially while I’m not sure if GP can get that National Championship, Im certainly we will never drop out of the possibility with him at the helm. Let’s go for broke while he’s still here and install a QB and an offense that can give people hell.

No I don’t want all out risk but game manager feels way to conservative to win titles

Froggish

first two years he threw a great deal of shorter stuff and actually lead alabama in rushing attempts in 2017 and 2018.

tua takes over in 2019 and the offense opens up a bit throwing the ball down the field.

bama averaged less than 10 yards a pass attempt in 2017 and 2018 and just over 11.5 a completion in 2017 and 13.5 ypc in 2018

funny thing is hurts numbers in limited action don't vary that much from tua in 2019.
jalen was 10.9 per pass attempt, 15.0 yards per completion, and a touchdown ever 8.8 attempts.

lane kiffin was the oc in 2016, brian daboll in 2017, and mike locksley in 2018.

Wouldn’t you agree that the talent gap/depth between Bama and TCU is so great that both programs need something different from the QB position to achieve the same results?

JockO de Frog

Collins was a 56% passer with 6 TD and 2 INT. For a full year that would be 17 TD and 6 INT. I would gladly take 17 TD and 6 INT from this year's QB(s).
SR had 9 TD and 8 INT. SR was the better runner when he wasn't fumbling.
But he was usually fumbling.
Good point...
Who thinks Andy Dalton was a good quarterback for TCU?
In Andy’s soph year his stats were 182 completions of 307 attempts for 59.3% rate. He played in 11 games for 2242 yards with 7.3 yards per attempt. 11 Tds to 5 int. for a 129.2 rating.
Mike Collins played in only 5 games, was 79 of 140–56.4% for 1,059 yds with 7.6 yards per attempt. He had 6 Tds and 2 int. with a 131.3 rating.
I would not rule out Mike Collins in this discussion. Just saying. I also remember the Trevone Boykin haters before 2014. Quarterbacks grow up and game slows down. We’ll see….

asleep003

Collins was a 56% passer with 6 TD and 2 INT. For a full year that would be 17 TD and 6 INT. I would gladly take 17 TD and 6 INT from this year's QB(s).
SR had 9 TD and 8 INT. SR was the better runner when he wasn't fumbling.
But he was usually fumbling.

Agree. Though SR was the better athlete, Collin's feet pleasantly surprised me too.

Frog-in-law1995

Hurts only started 1 year, 2017.

HG73

Good point...
Who thinks Andy Dalton was a good quarterback for TCU?
In Andy’s soph year his stats were 182 completions of 307 attempts for 59.3% rate. He played in 11 games for 2242 yards with 7.3 yards per attempt. 11 Tds to 5 int. for a 129.2 rating.
Mike Collins played in only 5 games, was 79 of 140–56.4% for 1,059 yds with 7.6 yards per attempt. He had 6 Tds and 2 int. with a 131.3 rating.
I would not rule out Mike Collins in this discussion. Just saying. I also remember the Trevone Boykin haters before 2014. Quarterbacks grow up and game slows down. We’ll see….
I'm very comfortable with Collins. Hope someone can beat him out, but if not he will be just fine.

Ron Swanson

Everyone on the TCU boards craps all over Collins, but we have to realize it was his first year as well. It’s possible he .can improve

I don’t know for a fact he will be a good QB, but I certainly don’t know that he CAN’T be a good QB.

He didn’t show me anything that tells me he doesn’t have the physical talent to be a good QB. I doubt he’ll ever be an all-conference player, but he could end up being pretty good if he develops his game.

Ron Swanson

The reason we played Shawn Robinson last year was because he had a much higher ceiling than any other healthy QB on the roster, and the coaches were hoping that with in-game experience it would eventually “click” for him. He had a cannon for an arm and could run like a deer. Of course they were cutting him some slack and hoping he would get it.

I don’t think for a second that it was because we promised him as a recruit that he would start (or anything like that).

Froggish

I'm very comfortable with Collins. Hope someone can beat him out, but if not he will be just fine.

I think Collins could be fine. It’s possible that his last season experience could mean the game will slow down for him. The tough part is that although he didn’t turn the ball over like SR, he did nothing that made us better on 3rd down and red zone conversion rates. We didn’t have a QB last year who could keep drives going with their arm. While Collins was a surprise that he could “run” from the RPO, I don’t think any of us think he could do that more then a 3-4 times a game. He’ll win or loose the job with his arm.

It’s a shame that this QB competition will be so much fun and we won’t know anything about it until the actual season starts

asleep003

I think Collins could be fine. It’s possible that his last season experience could mean the game will slow down for him. The tough part is that although he didn’t turn the ball over like SR, he did nothing that made us better on 3rd down and red zone conversion rates. We didn’t have a QB last year who could keep drives going with their arm. While Collins was a surprise that he could “run” from the RPO, I don’t think any of us think he could do that more then a 3-4 times a game. He’ll win or loose the job with his arm.

It’s a shame that this QB competition will be so much fun and we won’t know anything about it until the actual season starts
Yes, it would be nice to be able to watch this battle in person this August, as it appears the talent level is good and very level between the 4 of them.

Last edited:

texas_sicilian

Yes, it would be nice to be able to watch this battle in person, as it appears the talent level is good and very level between the 4 of them.
Level in the sense that every one of them has a con, but all talented:
QB 1: great scrambler, fast, leader, experienced, but not the strongest arm and questionable decision making
QB 2: beautiful long ball, natural talent, natural leader, but still recovering from major injury
QB 3: fast, student of the game, very strong arm, good decision making, but true freshman
QB 4: good arm, decent long ball, great work ethic, real experience, but coming off injury
QB 5: solid decision making, decent arm, good accuracy, but uncertain when they’ll be officially ready to play

Last edited:
Everyone on the TCU boards craps all over Collins, but we have to realize it was his first year as well. It’s possible he .can improve

I don’t know for a fact he will be a good QB, but I certainly don’t know that he CAN’T be a good QB.

He didn’t show me anything that tells me he doesn’t have the physical talent to be a good QB. I doubt he’ll ever be an all-conference player, but he could end up being pretty good if he develops his game.
I agree with this. I think people forget what a mess the whole offense was regardless of who was playing QB. They played basically one game (Oklahoma State) where it looked like there was anything more to a grab bag approach to a game plan. And, he was the QB in the loss to Kansas even though anyone who paid attention would realize he was the least of our problems that day.

While I didn't see anything to make me think he has the potential to be transformative on his own, I also didn't see anything lacking in his abilities that convinced me he couldn't be pretty decent if the offense is otherwise functional around him. If I'm just basing it on what I've seen between the two playing actual games instead of second hand reports about practice, it would not surprise me in the least to find him ahead of Delton on the depth chart by the time the season starts.

Froggish

I agree with this. I think people forget what a mess the whole offense was regardless of who was playing QB. They played basically one game (Oklahoma State) where it looked like there was anything more to a grab bag approach to a game plan. And, he was the QB in the loss to Kansas even though anyone who paid attention would realize he was the least of our problems that day.

While I didn't see anything to make me think he has the potential to be transformative on his own, I also didn't see anything lacking in his abilities that convinced me he couldn't be pretty decent if the offense is otherwise functional around him. If I'm just basing it on what I've seen between the two playing actual games instead of second hand reports about practice, it would not surprise me in the least to find him ahead of Delton on the depth chart by the time the season starts.

There’s a pretty compelling argument that could be made for all 3 of the healthy QBs. There are plenty of reason why each could succeed or fail..I just can’t help but think that person that really needs to succeed this year is Cumbie. He has had enough talent to work with that he should be shouldering more of the blame for their failures.

Wexahu

It's kind of ridiculous how much a kid's 247 or Rivals recruiting ranking weighs into how "good" we think they are, and how that seems to definitively set their ceiling as a player. If Collins was a 4-star recruit and played exactly the same way he played last year we'd all have a completely different opinion of him right now. If Shawn Robinson had been a 2-star kid with only a few offers, nobody would have wanted him to see a field again after the 2017 Tech game. Instead, since he was highly recruited, we raved about his pretty incompletions and nice spirals.

Tom Brady split time with Drew Henson his senior year at Michigan. Kurt Warner couldn't get a D1 offer. Drew Brees had to go to Purdue because nobody down here really wanted him. I could name about 50 others. A kid can become a completely different player at 21 than he was at 18. Who the heck knows how this will all play out, I'm just glad it looks like there's going to be some real competition.