• The KillerFrogs

DMN: It's been 8 years since TCU's Rose Bowl win. Finally, Gary Patterson has shared the gameplan

CryptoMiner

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...ally-gary-patterson-shared-gameplan-backstory

He is the master....

During a breakout session at Big 12 Media Days at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Patterson reportedly revealed to media members that he was in on the news that Chryst, then Wisconsin's offensive coordinator, was vying for the same role on Mack Brown's staff at Texas as the 2010 season wrapped up.

And knowing that a rush-heavy offensive scheme likely wouldn't cut it for landing the job in Austin, Patterson could only assume that Chryst would have the Badgers offense would move the ball through the air more than usual.

So Patterson prepared for exactly that. And it worked.

"Do you think you can get the offensive coordinator job at Texas by running for 300 yards and not throwing the football and just pounding TCU? Probably not," Patterson told media members Monday. "So I took that into consideration ... that they would probably try to play action and do more.

So we played to our advantage until the last drive. We had them locked, incomplete, 2nd and 10 -- well now that plays to the advantage of a smaller TCU team."

Zubaz

I hate the narrative that if they had just ran the ball on the 2 point conversion they would have gotten it, THEY MADE THE RIGHT CALL. This wasn't a case like the Super Bowl where the DB was able to make the play on the guy he was covering, their receiver was wiiiiiiiide open. Tank (and everyone else) was on a blitz and even HE got stuffed. He just saw that he was stuffed and jumped in the air, making the play of his life.

Oh, and even that would have just tied it, and there were still 2 minutes left in the game.

H0RNEDFR0G

I hate the narrative that if they had just ran the ball on the 2 point conversion they would have gotten it, THEY MADE THE RIGHT CALL. This wasn't a case like the Super Bowl where the DB was able to make the play on the guy he was covering, their receiver was wiiiiiiiide open. Tank (and everyone else) was on a blitz and even HE got stuffed. He just saw that he was stuffed and jumped in the air, making the play of his life.

Oh, and even that would have just tied it, and there were still 2 minutes left in the game.

It's true that the Frogs would've had 2 minutes to score, but we we hadn't scored since 11:56 in the 3rd Q. The 2nd half was not very productive offensively for us.

The biggest coaching blunder of the day was not by Wisconsin's O.C. it was by Bielema. His poor clock management at the end of the second half cost them more than anything else. He was so proud of himself for pulling off the fake punt (twice) that he lost track of time. Also there was the trap/catch review that took forever. Credit TCU with bending but not breaking and making Wisc take 14 plays and 7 mins for that FG. But even the announcers were caught off guard with how much time it took, BB went into the lockerroom at half with all 3 timeouts. Can you imagine going into the locker room down 17-14?

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
watt.jpg

CountryFrog

The great advantage that all football fans have over coaches is that whenever something doesn't work for the coach, the fan always knows that the coach is a total moron for not doing the OTHER THING because obviously the OTHER THING always would've worked.

LVH

It's true that the Frogs would've had 2 minutes to score, but we we hadn't scored since 11:56 in the 3rd Q. The 2nd half was not very productive offensively for us.

Our 2nd half offense played ultra conservative, not to lose. We moved the ball well, would get the ball past midfield, but stall out just outside of field goal range. However this allowed us to force bad field position for Wisconsin with great special teams play.

With a sense of urgency like we showed in the 1st half, I think we could have made a game winning drive.

LVH

The great advantage that all football fans have over coaches is that whenever something doesn't work for the coach, the fan always knows that the coach is a total moron for not doing the OTHER THING because obviously the OTHER THING always would've worked.

Like GP always says, take what the defense(or offense) gives you.

We were daring them to pass all day.

TK2000

The biggest coaching blunder of the day was not by Wisconsin's O.C. it was by Bielema. His poor clock management at the end of the second half cost them more than anything else. He was so proud of himself for pulling off the fake punt (twice) that he lost track of time. Also there was the trap/catch review that took forever. Credit TCU with bending but not breaking and making Wisc take 14 plays and 7 mins for that FG. But even the announcers were caught off guard with how much time it took, BB went into the lockerroom at half with all 3 timeouts. Can you imagine going into the locker room down 17-14?
After their failed attempt, they were trying to get the ball back and we basically drove the ball into field goal range and started taking knees. I remember because I would have won my bet if Gary kicked the FG. Nothing is a gimme but I think we kick a FG to win it easy.

Zubaz

After their failed attempt, they were trying to get the ball back and we basically drove the ball into field goal range and started taking knees. I remember because I would have won my bet if Gary kicked the FG. Nothing is a gimme but I think we kick a FG to win it easy.
I mean yeah, but they wouldn't have kicked it onsides if they were tied either. Not really comparable.

Frog-in-law1995

Our 2nd half offense played ultra conservative, not to lose. We moved the ball well, would get the ball past midfield, but stall out just outside of field goal range. However this allowed us to force bad field position for Wisconsin with great special teams play.

With a sense of urgency like we showed in the 1st half, I think we could have made a game winning drive.

The only time we didn’t score on our next drive following a Wisconsin score was that last drive.