• The KillerFrogs

Your Three Favorite TCU Games

Frog DJ

Please bear with an old-timer who cherishes the 3 times Frogs knocked Texas out of the national championship:
Nov 15, 1941-- TCU 14, Texas 7.
Nov 14, 1959-- TCU 14, Texas 9.
Nov 18, 1961-- TCU 6, Texas 0.
The Horns are my favorite team to dislike, and all 3 were played in Austin--- sweet, sweet memories.
Leap - When I turned 11 in 59 my parents asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I told them tickets to see TCU play UT in Austin.

We got up early that morning, and a Blue Norther was rolling in. We crept along I-35 until we got almost all the way to Waco, and Dad lost control of the car on a patch of black ice.

He safely stopped the car, but my mother insisted he turn around and go home. I was heartbroken - especially when the Frogs won the game while Dad I listened to Kern Tips on the radio.

To add insult to injury Harold Taft announced on his Channel 5 weather report that night that the ice accumulations stopped just south of Waco.

Go Frogs!

Froggish

I have some of the same favorites but one that was really special was the 2009 ass kicking we put on BYU in Provo...

I was living in HI at the time next store to a Mormon center. Each Sat tons of BYU-HI students would file in there to watch BYU games as the cougs always had a lot islanders on their team. They would walk up this hill and pass right by my huge TCU flag. That morning it was special as they talked a ton of boat to me pre-game (BYU folks can be some of the nastiest fans you’ve ever seen) Of course we destroyed them that day in their own house and I gloated and talked boat the whole afternoon.. It was joyous

Since all the obvious one's are taken, I'll mention a couple great ones that have not yet been mentioned:

2000: TCU 41 - Northwestern 14. LT ran for 243, but should have been well over 300 had the damn refs not called BS holding calls on two of his long runs, which also would have made the score even more lopsided.

2016: TCU 62 - Baylor 22. Believe it or not, Baylor was ranked #13 when we played them, after going 6-1 to start the season. Biggest win in the history of the series, and it was in their toilet of a stadium. Suck it, Baylor.

2012: TCU 20 - Texas 13. First season in the Big XII. Thanksgiving night. I had no expectations of winning, but was glad to be able to watch the frogs on Turkey day. Watching our defense strangle UT in their own stadium was wonderful.

Mean Purple

running between meetings.
but honorable mention.

The game in (think it was) 93 when we beat Tulane for parents weekend. not because of the game, but because (I think) that's the game where they came over the pa system and asked students to stop throwing the lemon chill lids. :)

Bob Sugar

Since all the obvious one's are taken, I'll mention a couple great ones that have not yet been mentioned:

2000: TCU 41 - Northwestern 14. LT ran for 243, but should have been well over 300 had the damn refs not called BS holding calls on two of his long runs, which also would have made the score even more lopsided.

2016: TCU 62 - Baylor 22. Believe it or not, Baylor was ranked #13 when we played them, after going 6-1 to start the season. Biggest win in the history of the series, and it was in their toilet of a stadium. Suck it, Baylor.

2012: TCU 20 - Texas 13. First season in the Big XII. Thanksgiving night. I had no expectations of winning, but was glad to be able to watch the frogs on Turkey day. Watching our defense strangle UT in their own stadium was wonderful.
2016 Baylor, was that the year Boykin trucked the guy in the end zone?

Spike

Football-
1- Rose Bowl
2-At Boise 2011. (Hasn’t seen this mentioned yet) We were 14 point dogs and went up there with a mentality that we were going to drink every beer in Boise and just enjoy the game.

Casey played the game of his life and the Boise fans were the nicest bunch I’ve ever dealt with.

3- Peach Bowl- starting the S-E-C chant after they kicked a field goal to make it 42-3 took away a little bit of the sting of going #3 to #6.

You started the chant?

Spike

Football
1981 Arkansas
2002 Liberty
Both Alamo Bowls

Baseball
2005 Waco Regional Game v Stanford
2010 Game 3 Super Regional v UT
2015 Game 1 at Omaha v LSU
2004 Regular Season v Southern Miss.

Spike

More football:
2001 Louisville was greatness
2015 Baylor in the rain (no one has mentioned)
2004 at UH game was 62 55. Was my 1L year at STCL so nice to see Frogs playing there

More baseball
2005 Regular season @ Rice. They couldn't touch Lance Broadway. I took 17 hours that semester and could count on my fingers how many times I left the apartment that semester. A great moment.

TCURiggs

Leap - When I turned 11 in 59 my parents asked me what I wanted for my birthday. I told them tickets to see TCU play UT in Austin.

We got up early that morning, and a Blue Norther was rolling in. We crept along I-35 until we got almost all the way to Waco, and Dad lost control of the car on a patch of black ice.

He safely stopped the car, but my mother insisted he turn around and go home. I was heartbroken - especially when the Frogs won the game while Dad I listened to Kern Tips on the radio.

To add insult to injury Harold Taft announced on his Channel 5 weather report that night that the ice accumulations stopped just south of Waco.

Go Frogs!

Great story

Rabidfrog

Football, Basketball, Baseball

My favorites

Football
TCU-Wisconsin Rose Bowl
TCU-Utah 2009 College Game Day
TCU-Oregon Alamo Bowl

Basketball
TCU-Texas Jamie's Shot
TCU-Arkansas SWC Tournament Browder's FT's win the game.
TCU-Kansas 2013 The upset of the century

Baseball
TCU-FSU-Matt Curry's Grand Slam
TCU-A&M-16 inning win to go to the CWS
TCU-Texas Super Regional victory to go to our first CWS
Hard to argue with these. headline in
DMN after the Arkie game; "load of the winnebago, Irma, we headin' back to Little Rock."

Froginbedford

Memorial Stadium, Austin, Nov. 12, 1955.....TCU 47 - Texas 20

"The Rusk Rambler' Jim Swink dazzled the Horns, scoring 4 TDs on runs of - 1, 62, 57, 34 yards

This was the game where Texas first introduced the 'Hook 'Em Horns" sign.

The next year at Amon Carter, the Frogs crushed UT 46-0, and I thought TCU was the greatest team ever...I was 6 y/o....My first in-person game....Granddad used me as his excuse to go to lots of TCU games..."Have to take the boy to the game"....

stbrab

Football only:

Post season:
1 - 2011 Rose Bowl - what can you say...outside of a National Championship, the most prestigious bowl game there is. Great game! Watching Tank seal the victory was sweet!
2 - 2014 Peach Bowl - what an ass whipping! Ole Miss never knew what hit them. After the disappointment of missing the playoffs, it would have been easy for the team to get down. But they responded with an epic beat-down. I truly believe this team could have won the National Championship.
3 - 2016 Alamo Bowl - again, what can you say...a comeback for the ages. Truly miraculous!

Regular season:
1 - 2009 Utah - without a doubt, the loudest home game I've been to. The Carter was epic.
2 - 2014 Oklahoma - set the stage for what could have been a National Championship. With this victory i knew we had a special team.
3 - tie 2006 Tech - the most dominating defensive performance I've seen. After the debacle in Lubbock, this was especially sweet!
tie 2014 Tech - 82 - 27!!!

Purp

This reminded me of the RGIII Fluke game. Has that been mentioned? I believe it was 35-0 at half time and may well have been 42-0 at half had we not run out of time. Scored a TD on ever first half possession. Complete dominance made extra sweet b/c it was baylor. But not just any baylor team; it was an RGIII baylor team talking all kinds of B12 boat leading up to the game getting absolutely boat raced in every single possible way. Darn baylor and darn RGIII. I think that was also the game roid rage coach got into it with some fans coming off the field.

And this first half dominance reminded me of the Texas game at Amon G. back in 2015 when we hung 30 on them in the first quarter and eventually got up 50 something to nothing.

Neither of these are top 3 for me, but that baylor game may be close to top 10 for me.

Bob Sugar

This reminded me of the RGIII Fluke game. Has that been mentioned? I believe it was 35-0 at half time and may well have been 42-0 at half had we not run out of time. Scored a TD on ever first half possession. Complete dominance made extra sweet b/c it was baylor. But not just any baylor team; it was an RGIII baylor team talking all kinds of B12 boat leading up to the game getting absolutely boat raced in every single possible way. Darn baylor and darn RGIII. I think that was also the game roid rage coach got into it with some fans coming off the field.

And this first half dominance reminded me of the Texas game at Amon G. back in 2015 when we hung 30 on them in the first quarter and eventually got up 50 something to nothing.

Neither of these are top 3 for me, but that baylor game may be close to top 10 for me.
Good Job Big 12!!