• The KillerFrogs

Black Flag Conditions

FrogAbroad

I thought a Black Flag condition meant there were too many roaches running around
il_fullxfull.316830632.jpg

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
When I was assigned to my carrier in Norfolk, we all had firefighting training. This included going into a blazing building, wearing and carrying heavy equipment. My luck, it was during one of the hottest summers in Norfolk history. The following week, they suspended the training because it was too dangerous.
Buttercup training during that time was delightful, however!
newport-ri-june-7-2018-naval-rotc-midshipmen-patch-a-leaking-pipe-on-the-uss-buttercup-damage-control-wet-trainer-during-sea-trials-at-naval-station-newport-in-rhode-island-sea-trials-is-a-10-day-event-during-which-midshipmen-must-perform-a-series-of-scenarios-and-properly-demonstrate-the-skills-they-have-developed-throughout-their-training-PF92DY.jpg

Jet Set Frog

When I was assigned to my carrier in Norfolk, we all had firefighting training. This included going into a blazing building, wearing and carrying heavy equipment. My luck, it was during one of the hottest summers in Norfolk history. The following week, they suspended the training because it was too dangerous.
Buttercup training during that time was delightful, however!
newport-ri-june-7-2018-naval-rotc-midshipmen-patch-a-leaking-pipe-on-the-uss-buttercup-damage-control-wet-trainer-during-sea-trials-at-naval-station-newport-in-rhode-island-sea-trials-is-a-10-day-event-during-which-midshipmen-must-perform-a-series-of-scenarios-and-properly-demonstrate-the-skills-they-have-developed-throughout-their-training-PF92DY.jpg
Buttercup training is a BLAST! Loved it!

SnoSki

Out on the road today I saw a black flag sticker on a Cadillac //
Little voice inside my head said “don’t look back, you can never look back” //
I thought I knew what love was, what did I know? //
Those days are gone forever, I should just let em go but...

Limp Lizard

WGBT of 90 (Naval threshold for a black flag) is somewhere in the area of 110 heat index. Not the same, but a way of factoring in humidity. 95 in the desert would mean a pretty low heat index. As I type this, Las Vegas is 109 with a HI of 99. The Vegas dew point is 27, so at 95 the heat index is 89...about 20 degrees less than at the Naval Air Station Tuesday. No need for all the macho posturing.

Frog-in-law1995

WGBT of 90 (Naval threshold for a black flag) is somewhere in the area of 110 heat index. Not the same, but a way of factoring in humidity. 95 in the desert would mean a pretty low heat index. As I type this, Las Vegas is 109 with a HI of 99. The Vegas dew point is 27, so at 95 the heat index is 89...about 20 degrees less than at the Naval Air Station Tuesday. No need for all the macho posturing.

tenor.gif

Frog-in-law1995

Just looked up the Atari’s version on youtube. WAY faster. Also, injecting punk rock youthful exuberance into a song about facing middle age seems a bit out of place. Like their sound, though.

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
Short answer: Yes.

Longer answer: Wet bulb globe temperature readings determine a heat category and work/rest cycles.

The WBGT is often confused with the heat index, which is a measurement of ambient temperature, including the effect of relative humidity. WBGT requires special monitoring equipment for humidity, ambient temperature ....

Borrowing from Riggs:

You made that up.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Also, I doubt anyone would question el huevos on the PJs, FACs, Medi Vac Helos and know plenty of guys in the dirt who have bought a drink or two for guys providing air cover...

Truth. And many go pro vids I’ve seen show TIC calling for mortar/arty support when in garrison under attack but on patrol or convoy? It’s 90% the same—-where’s my f’ing air support/CAS?!?!?! Chair Force to the rescue!