• The KillerFrogs

DMN: Patterson updates QB competition, says Frogs 'in better position than we were a year ago'

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
DMN: Patterson updates QB competition, says Frogs 'in better position than we were a year ago'

By SportsDayDFW.com
Contact SportsDayDFW.com on Twitter: @SportsDayDFW

TCU head coach Gary Patterson recently joined The Matt Mosley Show on ESPN Central Texas 92.3 FM/1660 AM to talk all things college football. Here are some highlights:

Has anyone taken the lead in your mind, or do you still have an open mind about your QB battle?

Patterson: "I have a complete open mind. Obviously, Alex Delton has played the most football out of everybody that we have here. But I was really happy with our freshmen. Justin Rogers is healthier, probably not completely. Mike Collins didn't go through the spring, so his competition will start here in the fall. But I think the quarterback position is in better position than we were a year ago. ...

Read more at https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...-thinks-horned-frogs-better-position-year-ago

LawFrog504

Nigeria is in a better place than it was a year ago- still don't like their odds against the United States.

The only way this season goes well is if Baldwin wins the appeal and gets the job. Alex Delton will be figured out by week 2

ShreveFrog

I think Collins is a better bet given the health and inexperience of the rest of the pack. Again, I'm talking Aug. 31. Camp starts pretty soon. Collins played well vs. OU before he got hurt. Not worried.

TX_Krötenechse

Nigeria is in a better place than it was a year ago- still don't like their odds against the United States.

The only way this season goes well is if Baldwin wins the appeal and gets the job. Alex Delton will be figured out by week 2
Considering that Baldwin isn’t even going through fall camp due to surgery, I’d say his chances of winning the job (regardless of appeal status) are about zero.

jake102

Considering that Baldwin isn’t even going through fall camp due to surgery, I’d say his chances of winning the job (regardless of appeal status) are about zero.

And just reading GPs quotes, it's obvious that he sees Delton, Rogers, Duggan and Collins as the four guys battling for the starting spot. Baldwin is not going to start the season, maybe he wins the job by game 8 or something, but he won't be the starter.

McFroggin

It’s not the information itself, it’s the joy you seem to take in his slowed progress. Despite the truly incredible amount of progress he’s made.

You’ve kind of hung your hat on that around here. I personally don’t get it.

Joy? Reading comprehension issues there. I’d love for JR to be 100%. It’s disappointing he isn’t, but it is frustrating that I’ve been stating this only for you to constantly argue with me. I’ve been stating as a means to divert attention to how our QB situation will be fine without this inexperienced QB many are hanging our season on.

Baldwin has a good chance of being approved, but coaches aren’t going to publicly jinx themselves. If for some crazy reason Baldwin isn’t given the waiver, Delton and Collins will be ready.

netty2424

I was going to comment on this also. I'd rather be wrong than gloat about being correct in this instance.
Yep. I give @McFroggin a hard time about it bc honestly it may be the truth, but if we’ve learned anything, there’s more misinformation coming out of spring/fall camps under GP than seemingly any program in the country.

Anytime there’s a GP quote or sound byte from camp, I just roll my eyes.

Last year we heard how well the QB’s took care of the football. Oops.

Billy Clyde

There it is. Maybe now some will believe my comments about JR’s health.

Later in the same conversation about quarterbacks: "They all know whoever ends up moving the offense and turns the ball over less and scores the most points really is the guy that we’re going to go with. You’re set with six guys. Six guys who are gonna be at full strength. . . "