• The KillerFrogs

OT: Shotguns

Bob Sugar

I will also advise the Browning Citori. I have a 12 and a 20, and they are quick to shoulder, easy to move and second nature to aim.
4f6d0c91-f704-49a1-b714-75601d7eb19b_text.gif

ross

KMA
Winchester 101 pigeon grade O/U. A bit pricey but a lifetime source of pride. Citori a pretty close second place. One bit about a O/U is the ease of packing since you can break them in half and a hard case is only about 31 or 32" long. Sometimes a long gun can be a pain in the butt to pack/disguise.
As a prior poster said, >2 shots while dove hunting is wasted lead. The only reason to need 2 is for shooting pairs. If you don't hit with your first shot, your percentages drop insanely on a second shot, and #3 (which is your limit with the required plug for an auto) is a near-guaranteed miss.
Shooting skeet/trap/sporting clays, O/U is almost exclusively what you'll see the regulars use.

ross

KMA
+1
Learn to shoot well and an O/Uis all you need
I prefer the Winchester 101
Had a matched set 20 and 12 before my sons got them
They make a lightweight version that looks very much the same as the pigeon grade but it’s lighter to carry than the regular weight gun
You may have to look around to find a good 101 but it’s worth the effort

kidkarr

Looking to purchase a new semi auto shotgun.

Will use primarily for clay shooting and dove/quail hunting.

I want a wood stock, but not positive what make or model I want yet. So far I'm considering the:
Beretta A400 Upland
Beretta A400 Xplor Action
Browning Maxus
Browning A5
Remington 1100

Willing to pay a little more for a gun that I'll be happy with for a lifetime.

Curious to hear the board's opinions and recommendations.

Thanks
Was at a charity shoot a couple weeks ago and everyone shooting the Browning A5 loved them, included our best shooter. I shot a few rounds with it and thought it was nice.

H0RNEDFR0G

HFB, is there a lot of difference between those and the beretta o/u? (not quality wise, but feel and handling)

Not that I am good enough to really know the difference.

I actually think there is. Benelli put some pretty solid engineering into it. They redesigned the breach to control recoil via the spring loaded locking plate and they added recoil buffers to the stock. It feels like shooting a 20 gauge o/u to me.

After a round of trap you'd see a huge difference between a silver pigeon and an 828u in my humble opinion.

Billy Clyde

I actually think there is. Benelli put some pretty solid engineering into it. They redesigned the breach to control recoil via the spring loaded locking plate and they added recoil buffers to the stock. It feels like shooting a 20 gauge o/u to me.

After a round of trap you'd see a huge difference between a silver pigeon and an 828u in my humble opinion.

Dang that's cute. Nowhere even close to being in the plan/budget, but I may just have to look into that. Any retailers/ranges around FW that have a demo?

Ray Finkle

Maniac, the guy I worked with has an engraved Beretta DU Edition auto with a wooden stock. Pretty gun. PM me and I’ll text you some pics. Yes, he is selling it.

Mean Purple

Thanks

4th. down

Was at a charity shoot a couple weeks ago and everyone shooting the Browning A5 loved them, included our best shooter. I shot a few rounds with it and thought it was nice.

Back to the question of field or clays, or both?

Yes, you will see Browning A5 at charity shoots. You won't see 1 at the big NSCA Regionals, US Open, or the US Nationals. At the 3 big yearly shoots, OU over autos by 10-1. Out of the top 20 US pros, no autos. Field, gas operated auto, clays, OU. Bird hunting and charity shoots, Beretta A400 Upland.