• The KillerFrogs

OT: Favorite Professor at TCU

SuperBarrFrog

Was just thinking about this after the thread about majors. I can barely remember any of the professors from my major. I liked Mr T and Shannon Shipp from business school but not even sure what classes they taught. Freshman year I liked Dr Atwood that taught world religions a lot. In RTVF I liked Professor Kompare and Andy Haskett of course. I had a great time in college and only disliked a few professors; luckily I can’t remember any of their names.

Last edited:

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Tucker - History of the Vietnam War
Forgot his name - Bowling

Not making the list:

Every grad student teaching assistant that was trying to prove their worth and did so with an iron fist

Any professor with attendance requirements in order to pass the class (I’m looking at you Spanish 2 lady)

And pretty much any professor that just taught straight from the textbook

Edit: Frank Locker was professor emeritus of bowling. He changed a skinny kid out of the Midwest that couldn’t roll worth a crap into a powerhouse on the hardwoods that once, just for fun, rolled left handed for a 180. Because Frank Locker doesn’t care what hand you bowl with he just knows you have to shake hands with lane and shake and shake until you can do it in your sleep. And watch out for micro-trauma. It will shorten a career.

Last edited:

Billy Clyde

Andy Haskett was pretty good, but way too passive, IMO. Doug Newsome was much more demanding but great.
Hands down though, Walton Rothrock (French) was the best. of mine. Natural teacher/leader, comfortable with kids even though he was probably 70 when he was teaching my classes, and demanded high standards of performance without demeaning his students. Class act, all the way around. His favorite line was, he intended to keep teaching as long as his dad's money held out. :) (Dad owned car dealerships)

Billy Clyde

*Honorable mention Sam Bogart. Gave not a rip about grades, used to let us take exams in a room full of students with nobody watching. FWIW.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Dr. Donald Jackson and Dr Dorraj in political science.

Yes also on Dr Tucker in history. Was in his class when the siege at Waco burned down. He wheeled in a tv and the class watched it happen live.
One day in Tucker’s class there were bees in the ceiling that invaded the classroom. Tucker didn’t stop teaching. He pressed on and we dealt with it. Not for this moment specifically but he was the only professor I had that ever truly challenged me. Other than Locker in bowling but that’s different.

tcudoc

I’m convinced that Drs Minter and Reinecke were the toughest professors at TCU... but I’m also convinced that they are a big reason I was successful in getting into medical school.

Worst was Patty Knowles. I think she was a part timer who didn’t last long. She cheated me out of an A in her class because she could not do the math. She got mad when I showed her the correct calculation and doubled down to make sure I didn’t get the A after that. She was a real piece of work. Getting into medical school required a high gpa and I was pretty pissed off about it.

Last edited:

SuperBarrFrog

Tucker - History of the Vietnam War
Forgot his name - Bowling

Not making the list:

Every grad student teaching assistant that was trying to prove their worth and did so with an iron fist

Any professor with attendance requirements in order to pass the class (I’m looking at you Spanish 2 lady)

And pretty much any professor that just taught straight from the textbook

Edit: Frank Locker was professor emeritus of bowling. He changed a skinny kid out of the Midwest that couldn’t roll worth a crap into a powerhouse on the hardwoods that once, just for fun, rolled left handed for a 180. Because Frank Locker doesn’t care what hand you bowl with he just knows you have to shake hands with lane and shake and shake until you can do it in your sleep. And watch out for micro-trauma. It will shorten a career.

Pretty sure my bowling teacher was a lady. Definitely my favorite class at Tcu. Only class you could smoke during though we had to wait until after class in our free bowling to drink; apparently a class the year before us ruined that.