• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Moose Stuff

I’m pretty fired up for tonight too. Hoping for some fire from the decidedly underdog Americans (and some Pulisic magic). Either way, hopefully the game has some of that good old USA/Mexico edge to it.

Purp

I’m gonna disagree. Look, I don’t agree with much of what she says but I respect what she’s trying to do. And yes, they are raising the money for the ladies but they’re raising it even more for the men so the gap is only growing. She has a legitimate point (especially in THIS country).

And all the while she’s kicking ass on the field. I can respect just about anyone who talks the talk AND walks the walk.
I respect what she accomplishes on the pitch, but I have little respect for her off the pitch. She may get me to support her cause with a different attitude and approach to delivering her message. She loses me every time she steps on her soapbox, though.

And I'm also not sure why we keep having to hear from her. I don't think she's the best or most important player in the team, yet all we have to hear about is what Rapinoe thinks about this or that. I really couldn't care less anymore. I'd rather hear Carli Lloyd, Ertz, Heath, Morgan, O'Hara, or Saurbrunn.

My point here is that I think the only reason there's controversy around her is because the media wants there to be. There are a lot of other players who carry sway in that room, but we seldom hear from the rest of them since they aren't as controversial. I feel like we've been played for 2 months just to generate some interest in this tournament when the same amount of interest would have existed without the nonsense.

Purp

I'm pumped about tonight also. Both sides have shown kinks in the armor in this tournament. I'm not sure what to expect. I can see it going either way. Would love to add to the dos a cero history in this rivalry.

Moose Stuff

I respect what she accomplishes on the pitch, but I have little respect for her off the pitch. She may get me to support her cause with a different attitude and approach to delivering her message. She loses me every time she steps on her soapbox, though.

And I'm also not sure why we keep having to hear from her. I don't think she's the best or most important player in the team, yet all we have to hear about is what Rapinoe thinks about this or that. I really couldn't care less anymore. I'd rather hear Carli Lloyd, Ertz, Heath, Morgan, O'Hara, or Saurbrunn.

My point here is that I think the only reason there's controversy around her is because the media wants there to be. There are a lot of other players who carry sway in that room, but we seldom hear from the rest of them since they aren't as controversial. I feel like we've been played for 2 months just to generate some interest in this tournament when the same amount of interest would have existed without the nonsense.

Trump responding to her ensured the story raged on.

Chongo94

If FIFA and or CONCACAF had ANY stones, they’d suspend Mexico from international competition or at the very least have the team play to empty stadiums until its idiotic fan base stops that stupid chant.

Eight

It is rather curious as to why the women's world cup discussion is buried in a nearly 50 page thread about euro soccer. I figured it warranted it's own thread.

maybe, but it being buried in a thread started to talk about euro soccer hits the mark far more than nike's sermon after the game about how the women's game should be viewed on the same level as the men.

the average women's pro game drew just over 6,000 people and those numbers were propped up by an expansion team that drew on average five figures crowds.

the dash in houston with millions of people, thousands of girls playing club drew under 4,000 a game last year

let mexico's c team show up to reliant and they draw 50,000+

Moose Stuff

maybe, but it being buried in a thread started to talk about euro soccer hits the mark far more than nike's sermon after the game about how the women's game should be viewed on the same level as the men.

the average women's pro game drew just over 6,000 people and those numbers were propped up by an expansion team that drew on average five figures crowds.

the dash in houston with millions of people, thousands of girls playing club drew under 4,000 a game last year

let mexico's c team show up to reliant and they draw 50,000+

I’m not sure Megan (or anyone else) is arguing for equal pay for men and women at the club level. It’s at the national/World Cup level unless I’ve missed something.

At the very least it’s hard to argue that OUR men’s team truly deserves significantly more than our ladies do. I’d be willing to bet the TV ratings on that game today were massive.

Eight

I’m not sure Megan (or anyone else) is arguing for equal pay for men and women at the club level. It’s at the national/World Cup level unless I’ve missed something.

At the very least it’s hard to argue that OUR men’s team truly deserves significantly more than our ladies do. I’d be willing to bet the TV ratings on that game today were massive.

I agree that pay at the national level should not have the disparity, but the two worlds are inverted .

women's soccer in the us is predominantly the national team and the clubs are an afterthought.

the money in men's soccer around the world is at the club level to the point we have seen clubs refuse to release players for national friendliest.

why does any of this matter? talked to a guy who covers soccer worldwide and played in the old nasal. part of why the men are paid what they are is that they don't depend on the income to live and national teams have to make it economically appealing to get some of these guys to play for the national team on top of playing 50-60 matches for their clubs.

pay the national women more, give them a cut of jersey sales, but three out of four years the women's game doesn't draw much interest to the viewing public

PO Frog

First to admit I know very little about soccer tactics and strategy, but Bradley doesn’t look like he belongs out there imo. Pulisic is impressive.

Eight

First to admit I know very little about soccer tactics and strategy, but Bradley doesn’t look like he belongs out there imo. Pulisic is impressive.

pulisic is legit, but he needs help and he was playing with better talent at dortmund in the midfield and up front than with the us.