• The KillerFrogs

Winners and Losers In The Realignment Wars

Eight

Yes the numbers do show it
TCU actually did quite well in their tv ratings last year, a whole lot better than Tech. Tech's tv ratings suck, last year and every other year.
In the last week of the regular season, 1.615 Million watched TCU and Okie State, 333K watched Tech and Baylor. Okie State was not fighting for bowl eligibility, only TCU and both Tech and Baylor.
Based on all of last year's tv ratings, TCU was a solid third place in the Big 12.
No disputing it.

2.7 Million watched TCU beat Cal in their bowl game.
What were the ratings of the bowl game Tech was in?

compare the numbers of the baylor-tcu the week before at a similar time zone and channel assignment. 80,000 viewer difference.

pretty much the case across the year when you compare the actual numbers found on the links provided.

tcu gets a big bump from a prime time game w ohio state when urban was in the news and the bowl game which tech didn't play in last year.

do the frogs get some bump for being in the metroplex yes, but outside that the presence is slight across the state and i am not sure why the comparison to tech in the first place

Limey Frog

Mizzou is only a winner if you're interested in revenue, which no one is because only a few coaches and administrators actually get paid. They suck at everything that matters, and no one in the SEC gives a poo about them. Without their Big 8 rivalries they are a futile waste of space.

Atomic Frawg

Since none of what we say matters, I'm just gonna let it be known that I am in the apparent minority of not caring too much for adding any teams west of Lubbock. The TV sets are east of the Mississippi and the travel is cheaper. Try to pick up Cincinnati and whatever two teams we can poach from the ACC and be done. The only thing I like about the western teams are their locations. The time zones mean nobody watches, and because nobody watches nobody cares.

Wexahu

Mizzou is only a winner if you're interested in revenue, which no one is because only a few coaches and administrators actually get paid. They suck at everything that matters, and no one in the SEC gives a poo about them. Without their Big 8 rivalries they are a futile waste of space.

Not a bad assessment. That’s a program that’s gonna be mired in mediocrity for basically forever now, much like Arkansas. Not that Mizzou ever was front page news, but they’re a total afterthought now.

Atomic Frawg

Last edited:

Hell Sent Frog

No, but you’re kind of making my point. Let’s say TCU and Tech each go 9-3 for five straight seasons. Who has better ratings?

Tech’s floor is a lot higher than ours in terms of $ generated and TV ratings. If we ever have a stretch like Tech has had the last 6-7 years, our TV ratings would suck worse than Tech’s. Sucks to say, but true. That’s what a 10k vs 30k enrollment does.

There was a time when Miami was about the biggest badass program going and they got huge ratings, but as soon as they were no longer a top 10 team, that all went away. Because it’s a relatively small private school.

This is not about enrollment. The majority of people who go to college are not football fans.
This is about football fans, football fans who like college better than the pros or they like both.
It's about eyeballs that watch football. There are more eyeballs in the Metroplex and this part of Texas than there are in Lubbock and the Panhandle, it's easy math.

Texas Tech has never had any long term anything close to top 10 type success.
You are comparing hypothetical success by Tech to real national success by TCU.

Tech has a bigger enrollment in the middle of nowhere. TCU is the Power 5 home team of the 8 Million inhabitants of the Metroplex. College football fans come from all walks of life, especially the tv viewers.

I live in the Metroplex and every cfb fan I speak with here loves watching the Horned Frogs Football games, especially the bigger games.
Maybe the Showgirls help, but TCU Football is seen as sexy and the program is a national sports media darling.
The Metroplex sports talk radio never even talk about Tech, never.
Why did the Red Raiders play their Spring game in Frisco?

Last edited:

Hell Sent Frog

compare the numbers of the baylor-tcu the week before at a similar time zone and channel assignment. 80,000 viewer difference.

pretty much the case across the year when you compare the actual numbers found on the links provided.

tcu gets a big bump from a prime time game w ohio state when urban was in the news and the bowl game which tech didn't play in last year.

do the frogs get some bump for being in the metroplex yes, but outside that the presence is slight across the state and i am not sure why the comparison to tech in the first place

The ratings of the TCU vs Ohio State game just destroyed those of the Ole Miss vs Texas Tech game.

TCU's game with lowly SMU did surprisingly well, which provides additional evidence to the power of the Metroplex college football viewing audience.

College football fans have spoke with their eyeballs, TCU is easily the #3 most attractive football program in the Big 12 and that's the argument.

Last edited:

LeagueCityFrog

I was told by a reliable source back in the "psychologically disadvantaged era" of the Big XII that the picking order of the Big XII members if it was to break up in the eyes of the other conferences went:

1. Texas
2. Oklahoma
3. Kansas, because of their basketball
4. TCU, because of their success AND market

then everyone else... with K-State, Iowa State, and Baylor being the most vulnerable.

All this is a moot point now, the Big XII has roared back. All they need to do is win either the CFP championship or the Final Four and we back on top. I would prefer us to go back to 12 via adding Arizona and Arizona State. I'd be cool with Colorado coming back too.

Last edited:

frog-hat

I was told by a reliable source back in the "psychologically disadvantaged era" of the Big XII that the picking order of the Big XII members if it was to break up in the eyes of the other conferences went:

1. Texas
2. Oklahoma
3. Kansas, because of their basketball
4. TCU, because of their success AND market

then everyone else... with K-State, Iowa State, and Baylor being the most vulnerable.

All this is a mute point now, the Big XII has roared back. All they need to do is win either the CFP championship or the Final Four and we back on top. I would prefer us to go back to 12 via adding Arizona and Arizona State. I'd be cool with Colorado coming back too.

I'm speechless

If this is true, why did the Big 12 take TCU before they even thought of taking West Virginia.
These are new times, different things matter than before
Big advertisers want to spend their money in big metropolitan tv markets.
Sports advertising is aimed a lot on urban black viewers and young upscale adults living in large cities.

When you really examine the tv ratings and viewers, TCU is #3. Do the math !
Texas Tech Football is a regional program, not a region of the country but only a region of one state.
College football in Texas would be better off without Tech and Baylor, they are two football programs who have no national identity but take up valuable space.

Because Big 12 was replacing A&M and wanted another Texas team. Later when Missouri left WVU was added (should of added Louisville and WVU but ESPN tricked Big 12 thinking they could add the golden goose Notre Dame all the while they already had deals of Notre Dame to go to the ACC. Then Maryland left ACC and ESPN fully owned conference needed a replacement and they stole Louisville while Big 12 was sitting on their hands on what to do. ESPN and ACC taking both Louisville and Notre Dame. Big 12 was lucky and was saved by the Sugar Bowl deal with the SEC). But two football champions one of the MWC and one of the Big East replacing mediocre football programs (A&M and Missouri). Luckily TCU was winning at the right time.

Look I hope if somehow the conference does break apart in 2023 or 2024 that TCU has proven and is attractive by its commitment in facilities, its fan support, it's high TV ratings, its location, its central time zone, its winning tradition and history that some other big conference comes calling. It's also very important our administration and boosters make friends to other important administration and boosters in other conferences. I think TCU could be a huge asset to another power conference.

Let's also hope Big 12 stays around for a long time and becomes generationally stable.

Ahhh, it's not off season unless we talk realignment or adding to the conference.

Last edited:

Eight

The ratings of the TCU vs Ohio State game just destroyed those of the Ole Miss vs Texas Tech game.

TCU's game with lowly SMU did surprisingly well, which provides additional evidence to the power of the Metroplex college football viewing audience.

College football fans have spoke with their eyeballs, TCU is easily the #3 most attractive football program in the Big 12 and that's the argument.

you cherry pick with the best as ole miss v tech was early broadcast, not a major channel when there were multiple games being played while the ohio state game was prime time on abc after urban had been the story of the early college football season. yep, damn near identical situations.

the only game tcu had a viewing audience over 3M was prime time on a network everyone has access against one of the biggest tv draws in college football. frogs never broke 3M again despite according to you being the darling of tv viewers in the metroplex

tech broke 3M three times despite in your opinion no real viewing fan base.

i also find it interesting that you say tech is a regional program when tcu struggles to garner media notice in houston and austin/ sa.

frogs need to win, put butts in the seats, and build relationships.

Eight

Okay... this was 8 years ago and an opinion piece? Not sure how this is relevant?

did you read it?

two lines really stand out to me.

1) "No, TCU hasn’t drawn huge crowds, but when you’re playing New Mexico in a pro market, that’ll happen. Get Auburn on campus and it’s a sellout. And if they need more seats, well, glorious, 100,000-capacity Cowboys Stadium is just a few miles away."

are you scheissing kidding me?

2) "As far as television, the best that can be said is TCU doesn’t hurt in the Dallas market. It doesn’t help much at this point either. The Cowboys rule and a half dozen other schools have far, far more impact. That isn’t likely to change.

It also doesn’t matter. The TV money will be huge no matter what."

curious if lsu or atm are on tv at the same time tcu is playing who draws the bigger ratings in the metroplex?

LeagueCityFrog

Because of the mute point, right?

Corrected.

One other thing too, the CFP has four spots, and even if the SEC gets 2, the Big XII champ will get one of the remaining 2 spots.

TCU just has to find a way to beat OU at the Big XII championship game and we good. 12-1 champ, maybe even 11-2 if the loss was on the road in a tight game vs a decent team gets TCU in the playoff. We have elevated our status nationally and the conference is percieved as strong again compared to say the Pac 12 or Notre Dame.

Froggish

Corrected.

One other thing too, the CFP has four spots, and even if the SEC gets 2, the Big XII champ will get one of the remaining 2 spots.

TCU just has to find a way to beat OU at the Big XII championship game and we good. 12-1 champ, maybe even 11-2 if the loss was on the road in a tight game vs a decent team gets TCU in the playoff. We have elevated our status nationally and the conference is percieved as strong again compared to say the Pac 12 or Notre Dame.

If we get a couple of Big12 out right titles and invite to the CFP...I would imagine it gets much more difficult to leave us out of any big boy realignment. We are 2/3rd up in an elevator right now as a program. If we can continue to climb to the elite floors we will be fine. Drop and all bets are off.

Hell Sent Frog

you cherry pick with the best as ole miss v tech was early broadcast, not a major channel when there were multiple games being played while the ohio state game was prime time on abc after urban had been the story of the early college football season. yep, damn near identical situations.

the only game tcu had a viewing audience over 3M was prime time on a network everyone has access against one of the biggest tv draws in college football. frogs never broke 3M again despite according to you being the darling of tv viewers in the metroplex

tech broke 3M three times despite in your opinion no real viewing fan base.

i also find it interesting that you say tech is a regional program when tcu struggles to garner media notice in houston and austin/ sa.

frogs need to win, put butts in the seats, and build relationships.

Tech did not break 3M three times.

TCU garners more media notice in Houston and Austin/SA than Tech does.

Texas Tech Football has never had any national success. All Tech has ever done is keep chipping away at the successful programs in the state.

LeagueCityFrog

Tech did not break 3M three times.

TCU garners more media notice in Houston and Austin/SA than Tech does.

Texas Tech Football has never had any national success. All Tech has ever done is keep chipping away at the successful programs in the state.

Tech does not get any coverage here in Houston. The local media here talks about TCU about 4 times a year like The North on Game of Thrones. Basically, people they know about, but knows not to mess with them.

A&M runs Houston media.

Horned Toad

According to https://www.statista.com/statistics/748033/college-football-tv-ratings/

Tech only broke 3 mil once last year.

Day, game (conference) (network) Rating Viewers
September 29, 2018 West Virginia vs. Texas Tech (B12) (ESPN2) 0.7 1,147,000
September 22, 2018 Texas Tech vs Oklahoma State (B12) (FS1) 0.51 868,000
September 15, 2018 Houston vs. Texas Tech (AAC, B12) (FOX) 0.7 1,079,000
September 1, 2018 Ole Miss vs. Texas Tech (SEC, B12) (ESPN) 1.2 1,929,000
October 27, 2018 Texas Tech vs. Iowa State (B12) (ESPN2) 0.55 885,000
October 20, 2018 Kansas vs. Texas Tech (B12) (FS1) 0.3 472,000
October 11, 2018 Texas Tech vs. Texas Christian (B12) (ESPN) 0.8 1,233,000
November 3, 2018 Oklahoma vs. Texas Tech (B12) (ABC) 1.9 3,135,000
November 24, 2018 Baylor vs. Texas Tech (B12) (FS1) 0.21 333,000
November 10, 2018 Texas vs. Texas Tech (B12) (FOX) 1.6 2,679,000

Total through 10 games (site didn’t provide the K. St game stats) 13,760,000

TCU

Day, game (conference) (network) Rating Viewers
September 7, 2018 Texas Christian vs. Southern Methodist (B12, AAC) (ESPN2) 0.7 1,076,000
September 15, 2018 Ohio State vs. Texas Christian (B1G, B12) (ABC) 4.2 7,328,000
September 22, 2018 Texas Christian vs. Texas (B12) (FOX) 1.7 2,887,000
September 29, 2018 Iowa State vs. Texas Christian (B1G) (ESPNU) - 366,000
October 11, 2018 Texas Tech vs. Texas Christian (B12) (ESPN) 0.8 1,233,000
October 20, 2018 Oklahoma vs. Texas Christian (B12) (ABC) 1.7 2,488,000
October 27, 2018 Texas Christian vs. Kansas (B12) (FS1) 0.19 325,000
November 3, 2018 Kansas State vs. Texas Christian (B12) (FS1) 0.24 477,000
November 10, 2018 Texas Christian vs. West Virginia (B12) (FS1) 0.39 728,000
November 17, 2018 Texas Christian vs. Baylor (B12) (FS1) 0.23 405,000
November 24, 2018 Oklahoma State vs. Texas Christian (B12) (FOX) 1 1,615,000

Total through 11 games. 18,928,000

If you add in the bowl game
December 26, 2018 Texas Christian vs Cal (Cactus) (ESPN) 1.6 2,700,000

Total 21,628,000

Both teams had six 1 Mil + games

Seems like both teams really have roughly similar viewership ratings.