• The KillerFrogs

Athlon Sports: Gary Patterson is the Big 12's Best Coach

Fosterpark Squatter

Correction, he made two Heisman Trophy Winners. He made Baker and Murray who they are, they were not the players they are now before he coached them.

GP is a great coach and the best defensive coach in college football but he and his defense have been owned by L. Riley, for that reason I would say Riley is the best coach then GP.
The few times he got in for the Ags Murray looked like he might of been all hype helped by the best offensive roster in hs.

Salfrog

Tier 1
Sorry, but no way is GP better than Riley. Riley has owned GP's defense, so until proven otherwise, it's not even close. I hate that, but it is what it is.

Froggish

I always like to perform the speculative test of what would happen if coaches traded places...just then not their staffs or players..HC only..

GP and Lincoln
GP and Saban
GP and Dabo
....etc
In all those scenarios my purple glasses tell me that GP could replicate their success but the other guys I don’t know..TCU is a unique situation that not many are wired for

Froggish

Lincoln’s Offense would whip any defense in America..That Bama Def last year got some stops but ultimately they weren’t much better then we were.

If you look at coaching as JUST X and Os, I’ll take GP against anyone in America. Where he’s not been elite is in recruiting of players and staff. Does that matter to those judging whos the best coach? I think it does and right now perhaps Lincoln is better..He does both at an unbelievably high level..Is it sustainable I don’t know..Is it even possible at a small school like TCU? I don’t know. I do believe there isn’t a coach in America that could wring the type of success out of the Frogs that GP has....On the other hand I’ll take 20 coaches and replicate Lincoln’s success

netty2424

Agree that recruiting is a big part of the coaching job. But put it in this context. If say Riley jumped tomorrow to the NFL and Patterson was named his replacement, do you think OU's recruiting would take a dive? I don't believe so, but others may disagree
Simply put, it would improve for GP as he’s filled rosters with 2-3 star kids for 18 plus years, and he’d be dealing with a higher ranked prospect across the board. But if I’m being honest, I still think GP would go after a handful of project kids and unranked, under the radar kids that the blue bloods don’t typically have to deal with on a regular basis.

I think taking a raw talented kid and molding him into something else/different position just does something for GP.

So for that, it actually might regress, on paper.

Fosterpark Squatter

I always like to perform the speculative test of what would happen if coaches traded places...just then not their staffs or players..HC only..

GP and Lincoln
GP and Saban
GP and Dabo
....etc
In all those scenarios my purple glasses tell me that GP could replicate their success but the other guys I don’t know..TCU is a unique situation that not many are wired for
Even GP with Strongs roster would be good considering it was all top 10 or 5 recruiting classes.

ifrog

Sorry, but no way is GP better than Riley. Riley has owned GP's defense, so until proven otherwise, it's not even close. I hate that, but it is what it is.

Two injury plagued teams. Riley has not been on long enough to prove anything. Patterson would have won two national championships with what Riley inherited.

Froggish

Brown did get one in his defense but shoulda had more.

Brown is a hell of a recruiter...Look at the class he putting together right now at North Carolina..He has a charm about him..Now I don’t think he’s a very good X and O guy but he can tongue whip an 18 yr old...Yup I said tongue whip

Latest posts