• The KillerFrogs

FWST: College basketball implementing NIT experimental rules. How will they impact TCU?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
College basketball implementing NIT experimental rules. How will they impact TCU?

By Drew Davison

TCU should have no problems transitioning to a couple new rules men’s college basketball is implementing next season.

The NCAA playing rules oversight panel approved moving the 3-point line to the international basketball distance of 22 feet, 1 3/4 inches, as well as re-setting the shot clock to 20 seconds following an offensive rebound.

Each were experimental rules TCU played under during last season’s NIT run to the semifinals.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article231215993.html#storylink=cpy

WhatTheFrog

I imagine there will be a bit of headscratching going on early in the season when the fouls reset at the midpoint of the quarter. I didn't even totally understand it when I went to the Frogs game vs. SHSU, and I knew that there were new rules being tried. I expected the game to stop at 10:00 of first half to reset (almost like an end of quarter). When it didn't, I thought they forgot to implement the change. It wasn't until the next foul that I realized how it worked.

y2kFrog

I imagine there will be a bit of headscratching going on early in the season when the fouls reset at the midpoint of the quarter. I didn't even totally understand it when I went to the Frogs game vs. SHSU, and I knew that there were new rules being tried. I expected the game to stop at 10:00 of first half to reset (almost like an end of quarter). When it didn't, I thought they forgot to implement the change. It wasn't until the next foul that I realized how it worked.

I don’t think that rule is changed. Just a 20 sec shot clock on offensive rebounds and longer 3 point shot.

Eight

i like extending the 3 point line.

two other rule changes that haven't been mentioned are coaches being able to call live ball timeouts with less than two minutes in the halves and if applicable overtime and allowing basket interference or goal tending calls to be reviewed in the last two minutes.

two other rule changes that haven't been mentioned are coaches being able to call live ball timeouts with less than two minutes in the halves and if applicable overtime and allowing basket interference or goal tending calls to be reviewed in the last two minutes.
LIVE BALL timeouts? Don't they do that now when they call a timeout before their ball-handler gets whistled for a five-second violation? BTW, I hate that rule and feel only the PLAYERS should be allowed to call time out when they have possession with the clock running.

Eight

LIVE BALL timeouts? Don't they do that now when they call a timeout before their ball-handler gets whistled for a five-second violation? BTW, I hate that rule and feel only the PLAYERS should be allowed to call time out when they have possession with the clock running.

the article i read said that as of last year only a player could call time with less than 2 minutes to go in halves and overtime(s)

i agree and think the coaches have way too much control on the college game and this only extends that control in the most critical parts of the game.

at least they didn't implement the nba rule for advancing the ball.

Rose Bowl

I’m going to agree with Farm but I absolutely hate 18-20 foot jump shots. Stats say they are made less than one percent more than a three pointer so it would seem that taking three balls is actually more efficient.

MTfrog5

I really don’t understand why 2 minutes is the cutoff. I guess baskets at 3 minutes don’t mean as much? All baskets should be reviewed by someone sitting off the court and the refs just have to signal to have it reviewed.

Purp

I’m going to agree with Farm but I absolutely hate 18-20 foot jump shots. Stats say they are made less than one percent more than a three pointer so it would seem that taking three balls is actually more efficient.
I think this stat explains the current evolution of the offensive game. The stat ignores the fact that consistently hitting mid-range jumpers opens up higher percentage opportunities for bigs and littles in the paint. If a defender has to respect that shot he'll leVe the paint for you to drive or pass to a cutter in the open space. I think there's always value in a mid-range jumper the same way there's value in throwing deep balls even if your receiver doesn't always catch them. At some point he will bring one down so the defense has to respect it.

Farmfrog

I don’t think there is any corollary between 18 foot jump shots and getting a five footer on the interior Purp. Every team in the country can get an 18 footer because they aren’t efficient shots and don’t hurt you as much as a three point make. The best way to get a shot in close is by ball movement and dribble penetration. You take the longer mid range shots at the end of the shot clock.

Eight

I don’t think there is any corollary between 18 foot jump shots and getting a five footer on the interior Purp. Every team in the country can get an 18 footer because they aren’t efficient shots and don’t hurt you as much as a three point make. The best way to get a shot in close is by ball movement and dribble penetration. You take the longer mid range shots at the end of the shot clock.

the best ways to get shots in the interior are to either run an offense that isolate players down low or make shots from the perimeter and force the defense to choose if they are going to let a player continually hit open shots or go out and guard them.

Purp

I think we'd have had a lot more easy buckets under the basket for KD, Arob, Bane, etc. if Samuel was a legitimate threat to score from 12'-18' every time. If bigs can't be under the basket to block shots because they're defending outside the paint you get more easy looks.

Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker were great players, but they were made far greater still by Tim Duncan's ability to score from anywhere inside of 20' at a very high rate. That created far more space for those guys to penetrate and score with fewer imposing shot blockers nearby.

I'm not saying ARob and KD were Parker and Ginobili, but they both had the ability to beat their primary defenders off the dribble the same way Ginobili and Parker did. The difference is the Spurs guards got into a lot of open lanes after they beat their defenders where ARob and KD got into crowded lanes. Why was the lane crowded if we had 3 other shooters posted up on the 3 point line? Because Samuel's defender was still in/near the paint because Samuel couldn't threaten him from 18' and pull him far enough away from the basket to open up those driving lanes more.

There may not be a statistical correlation; I don't geek out on basketball stats enough to know one way or the other. But I understand how motion off the ball in an offense paired with the ability to threaten from certain areas on the floor/pitch/field/ice creates space for your best players to be better. Defenders have to go where the threats are. If your big is positioned 20' from the basket and makes 8% of his shots from there while your guards are great at getting penetration and nifty finishers under the basket I think it's clear where the defense will have its shot blocker/s positioned. That's all I'm saying.

Rose Bowl

I think Farm is trying to say that making the longer three pointers in and of itself will not insure that your offense will be any more efficient. Speaking only for myself but shots from 15” and shorter should be made at a much higher rate that a 18-20 foot shot. I don’t believe our bigs will shoot many shots outside the lane this season.