• The KillerFrogs

OT - TV/Internet recommendations in Ft. Worth

Billy Clyde

Do you know if the Uverse fiber optic is available in the Westcliff area (just south of TCU)

Maybe the quality/reliability varies widely by zip, but my neighbor in Overton was constantly bitching about her ATT fiber. I've had Charter in a variety of forms but have lately settled on them for internet and a combo of hulu playstation netflix and amazon prime for watching options. all that together gives lots of programming variety and still costs under $80, I think... Firestick makes it easier to navigate between services, plus it's fun to come up with creative ways to try to stump/offend Alexa. That Briles.

Edit- Interesting, filter allowed bitching but not ho-bag

Ron Swanson

I have ATT Fiber and it’s solid

I switched recently from DirecTV to U-verse for TV. I like everything about DirecTV better except the reliability due to rain.

For what it’s worth, I’ve heard from multiple friends that if you’re cutting the cord, YouTube TV is fantastic

NewFrogFan

Do you know if the Uverse fiber optic is available in the Westcliff area (just south of TCU)

I am a 2 time quitter on Uverse, not sure why but the service would always decline to the point the picture would pixilate all the time. Have just straight DTV now but man their internet is slow, So, 2 year deal just ran out, not looking forward to the 2 hour call with “Jugdish”.

Ron Swanson

Can someone give me a rundown of the different streaming devices?

I have a Roku on one TV and like it. I have an old Apple TV on another TV and don’t like it as much as the Roku (mostly just the interface and tinyness/functionality of the remote), but I’m assuming Apple has improved their product since we got this one like 7 years ago. Although I do like being able to pair my iPhone and my Apple TV so I can stream what’s on my phone onto the TV.

I hear a lot of people talking about a couple others like the Amazon Firestick, etc...

ticketfrog123

Can someone give me a rundown of the different streaming devices?

I have a Roku on one TV and like it. I have an old Apple TV on another TV and don’t like it as much as the Roku (mostly just the interface and tinyness/functionality of the remote), but I’m assuming Apple has improved their product since we got this one like 7 years ago. Although I do like being able to pair my iPhone and my Apple TV so I can stream what’s on my phone onto the TV.

I hear a lot of people talking about a couple others like the Amazon Firestick, etc...

To me, there’s really only two devices worth having, with Roku being the clear #1.

I previously had an Amazon FireTV (not a stick) after grabbing it for like $50 during a Black Friday sale. Great device, was pretty quick to navigate around menus. The Stick plugs into the TV and is allegedly slower to load and stuff. Previously, Amazon devices did not allow you to download YouTube TV as Google owns them and those 2 (AMZN, GOOGL) are competitors. My FireTV also somehow died during an update.

I bought a Roku because there’s no restrictions on what platforms I can stream (allows YouTube TV) and the “versions” are really simple. There’s a Standard Def, HD, and 4K version the way I understand it. I bought the HD one for $60 and love it.

I don’t have a 4K TV and am not sure if too many things are streamed in 4K yet (maybe Netflix and YouTube TV?)

You can also use your PlayStation or Xbox to stream if you have one of those in the house.

Apple TV had pretty bad reviews from the “cord cutting” community and may have blocked BOTH amazon prime / video applications and YouTube TV. early on, I think it mostly forced you to buy movies and shows on iTunes for terrible prices.

flyfishingfrog

To me, there’s really only two devices worth having, with Roku being the clear #1.

I previously had an Amazon FireTV (not a stick) after grabbing it for like $50 during a Black Friday sale. Great device, was pretty quick to navigate around menus. The Stick plugs into the TV and is allegedly slower to load and stuff. Previously, Amazon devices did not allow you to download YouTube TV as Google owns them and those 2 (AMZN, GOOGL) are competitors. My FireTV also somehow died during an update.

I bought a Roku because there’s no restrictions on what platforms I can stream (allows YouTube TV) and the “versions” are really simple. There’s a Standard Def, HD, and 4K version the way I understand it. I bought the HD one for $60 and love it.

I don’t have a 4K TV and am not sure if too many things are streamed in 4K yet (maybe Netflix and YouTube TV?)

You can also use your PlayStation or Xbox to stream if you have one of those in the house.

Apple TV had pretty bad reviews from the “cord cutting” community and may have blocked BOTH amazon prime / video applications and YouTube TV. early on, I think it mostly forced you to buy movies and shows on iTunes for terrible prices.
I have the amazon prime app, Netflix and YouTube tv on my Apple TV devices

Biggest advantage to me is that is I can get it on my phone or iPad - I can get it on my tv either via the app on Apple TV or just streaming from my phone

But we are an all iPhone/iPad family

Drove me crazy before having some TVs requiring an android device to stream and other just not linking well with ios products

The Firestick has always allowed YouTube TV. It's just always been through the You Tube app.

To me, there is no comparison between the Roku and Firestick. The FS is much easier to use. The navigation menu for PS Vue is 1000% better on the FS than Roku. Netflix and Prime are easier as well. I put a tv on the porch last night with a Firestick and we now have 2 Rokus and 3 FS at the house. The Rokus are on TVs I rarely use.

If you're into the Kodi thing, to the best of my knowledge, the only way to get it on a Roku is to cast it from your phone. You can jailbreak a Firestick and add it directly. It's a pain in the ass but cool if you like watching movies that are currently in theaters.

I suppose that the Roku will be easier to use for people new to streaming or for older folks. My mother-in-law still can't get the hang of a Firestick.

Roku also has hidden apps. Wink.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
HD signal takes about 4mb/sec to run properly. 4K takes about 24mb/sec. There is no substitute for bandwidth.

Be careful with AT&T on what they say and what the actual product is. Often they will claim a particular level of bandwidth, and the actual level is considerably less during peak time. Insist on a high minimum bandwidth. It might cost more, but it's worth it, at least to me.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
HD signal takes about 4mb/sec to run properly. 4K takes about 24mb/sec. There is no substitute for bandwidth.

Be careful with AT&T on what they say and what the actual product is. Often they will claim a particular level of bandwidth, and the actual level is considerably less during peak time. Insist on a high minimum bandwidth. It might cost more, but it's worth it, at least to me.
AT&T internet service at my house sucks so very much. I darning hate it. End of DTV contract in July means end of AT&T altogether.

I have ATT for internet and have no problem at all. Apparently I have a fairly basic plan as well.

Dogfrog

we are in an old section of Fort Worth but have att fiber at the poles in the alley. When we moved here three years ago we went with U-verse internet and tv and it took a couple of weeks to get the service to stabilize. Since then it has been perfect with no maintenance or outages since. Direct is cheaper but Im sure ATT wants everybody to be on the satellite because it requires practically no infrastructure and maintenance. I am open to cheaper alternatives but really want to be certain before committing.

Ron Swanson

I think the only thing stopping me from switching to YouTube TV is that I don’t think I can get the Astros games on ATT Sports Net.

Even if I use my parents DirecTV login, I don’t think they have an app available on any of the streaming services. They have an app on my phone and I watch through that sometimes when I’m not in front of the TV, but I don’t want to have to stream it through my phone every time I want to watch an Astros game.

Am I missing anything?