• The KillerFrogs

Baldwin to transfer to TCU

flyfishingfrog

Somebody else’s rejects has worked out well for OU as of late. Blue blood Ohio State is rolling with a reject this year. Blue blood Auburn. Miami. LSU. Those are just the ones I though of in 11 seconds. Are all of their OC’s failures as well?
so two schools that have consistently made the playoffs, one of which that has made us their [ hundin] - that is your argument.

Fine - when Cumbie figures out how to make our offense a strength post-Boykin, who he didn't recruit but did adapt to the right system - I will agree with you that the fact that we can't recruit at the QB position and coach them up is ok.

And beyond those two - do you really want to use Auburn, Miami and LSU as your justification that it is ok to have to use constantly have to depend on transfers to be your starter?

Ensminger at LSU is in what - year 2? because Canada got run off for failing to find a QB that could play or call an offense that could move the ball despite top ranked recruits - sound familiar?

I would not exactly call Stidham a world beater at Auburn but he was far from Baylor's reject - he was their starter and we all know why he left. So yeah, if Cumbie can convince a top tier D1 QB that is going to start for one of the top offenses in the country to transfer to TCU - I will change my perspective. None of our transfers to date have been that - they have all LOST the starting job and then transferred to TCU.

Miami when 7-6 last year and it was so bad Richt retired abruptly from his Alma Mater. So that is the result you want to use to say its ok we keep doing the same thing?

Eight

Somebody else’s rejects has worked out well for OU as of late. Blue blood Ohio State is rolling with a reject this year. Blue blood Auburn. Miami. LSU. Those are just the ones I though of in 11 seconds. Are all of their OC’s failures as well?

the last ou quarterback recruit who started against tcu was trevor knight in 2014.

that is also the last time tcu beat ou and the worst big 12 record for the sooners since tcu has joined the big 12 (8-5, 5-4).

interestingly, knight is one of 7 quarterback prospects signed by ou between 2012 and 2018. 6 of those 7 were 4-star prospects. trevor is the only one to be a starter at ou and for 3 years ou had a kid who was a transfer walk-on.

this year they signed a 5-star prospect out of arizona, but most likely will be starting their 3rd straight transfer quarterback.

so when only 1 of your 7 quarterback recruits from 2012 onward get significant playing time what does that say about the ability of the ou staff to identify talent in high school prospects and develop that talent?

Froggish

so two schools that have consistently made the playoffs, one of which that has made us their [ hundin] - that is your argument.

Fine - when Cumbie figures out how to make our offense a strength post-Boykin, who he didn't recruit but did adapt to the right system - I will agree with you that the fact that we can't recruit at the QB position and coach them up is ok.

And beyond those two - do you really want to use Auburn, Miami and LSU as your justification that it is ok to have to use constantly have to depend on transfers to be your starter?

Ensminger at LSU is in what - year 2? because Canada got run off for failing to find a QB that could play or call an offense that could move the ball despite top ranked recruits - sound familiar?

I would not exactly call Stidham a world beater at Auburn but he was far from Baylor's reject - he was their starter and we all know why he left. So yeah, if Cumbie can convince a top tier D1 QB that is going to start for one of the top offenses in the country to transfer to TCU - I will change my perspective. None of our transfers to date have been that - they have all LOST the starting job and then transferred to TCU.

Miami when 7-6 last year and it was so bad Richt retired abruptly from his Alma Mater. So that is the result you want to use to say its ok we keep doing the same thing?

At least to this point in his career, Cumbie has proven to be a good recruiter but a questionable OC/QB developer...However as for the transfer thing...It’s important to recognize that in the CFB world, recruiting transfers is as important as recruiting HS kids...If it’s better for Cumbie to go find a guy that another program has developed some, then I have no problem with that..If he can’t do himself then it’s probably a better strategy

flyfishingfrog

the last ou quarterback recruit who started against tcu was trevor knight in 2014.

that is also the last time tcu beat ou and the worst big 12 record for the sooners since tcu has joined the big 12 (8-5, 5-4).

interestingly, knight is one of 7 quarterback prospects signed by ou between 2012 and 2018. 6 of those 7 were 4-star prospects. trevor is the only one to be a starter at ou and for 3 years ou had a kid who was a transfer walk-on.

this year they signed a 5-star prospect out of arizona, but most likely will be starting their 3rd straight transfer quarterback.

so when only 1 of your 7 quarterback recruits from 2012 onward get significant playing time what does that say about the ability of the ou staff to identify talent in high school prospects and develop that talent?
That they aren’t that good at it

Of course winning the B12 every year, making the playoffs and kicking the crap out of us proves they are good at developing the talent the get to transfer at the QB position at least

Us - not so much...see the difference?

flyfishingfrog

At least to this point in his career, Cumbie has proven to be a good recruiter but a questionable OC/QB developer...However as for the transfer thing...It’s important to recognize that in the CFB world, recruiting transfers is as important as recruiting HS kids...If it’s better for Cumbie to go find a guy that another program has developed some, then I have no problem with that..If he can’t do himself then it’s probably a better strategy
Let me know when the transfer concept gets us to the next level...instead of just making our offense something the defense has to make up for...

Eight

That they aren’t that good at it

Of course winning the B12 every year, making the playoffs and kicking the crap out of us proves they are good at developing the talent the get to transfer at the QB position at least

Us - not so much...see the difference?

no, too obtuse

TX_Krötenechse

I would agree that Cumbie hasn’t been a great developer of quarterbacks - both Boykin and Hill had really bad mechanical habits that were never broken (or even really improved upon), and Robinson was one of the worst fundamental QBs I’ve ever watched (seriously I watched him throw from so far off his back foot that he literally fell down). Cumbie had each of these guys for two years or more and they showed little improvement.

That said, Cumbie has been good at developing other aspects of the QB position. Boykin and Hill both became better team leaders and game managers under Cumbie and both thrived when the game plan was tailored to them. Shawn is an exception here, as he never seemed to become a leader and certainly wasn’t a game manager, but we have also heard a lot about his other issues that could get in the way there.

Cumbie also helped Boykin and Hill develop a really important skill, which was that they both became really clutch. At various points both of those players put the team on their back and carried them to a win, and I think we can ascribe that to Cumbie.

This is long so I’ll sum up: Cumbie is a great QB recruiter and seems to be good at helping QBs develop in non-mechanical ways. We need a talented GA or something to work with the QBs on game fundamentals because Cumbie sucks hard there.

ticketfrog123

I don't know how some of you live your lives with any degree of happiness. Just relentless bitching and moaning about everything all the time.

Well some of us have limited outlets to [ hundin] and moan to, especially where the bitching will be echoed and encouraged.

Have you ever complained to your pet about the end zone fade? Not as fun as drawing conspiracy theories about Russia’s involvement in the +4 system

Putt4Purple

That was the plan until our top returning RB went out got himself suspended.

No doubt Sewo had big MO in his favor and messed up. I have read and seen the potential in all the other running backs and have no doubt we will be in a good spot with them with no drop off. Anderson is proven, lets hope he stays healthy.

netty2424

I would agree that Cumbie hasn’t been a great developer of quarterbacks - both Boykin and Hill had really bad mechanical habits that were never broken (or even really improved upon), and Robinson was one of the worst fundamental QBs I’ve ever watched (seriously I watched him throw from so far off his back foot that he literally fell down). Cumbie had each of these guys for two years or more and they showed little improvement.

That said, Cumbie has been good at developing other aspects of the QB position. Boykin and Hill both became better team leaders and game managers under Cumbie and both thrived when the game plan was tailored to them. Shawn is an exception here, as he never seemed to become a leader and certainly wasn’t a game manager, but we have also heard a lot about his other issues that could get in the way there.

Cumbie also helped Boykin and Hill develop a really important skill, which was that they both became really clutch. At various points both of those players put the team on their back and carried them to a win, and I think we can ascribe that to Cumbie.

This is long so I’ll sum up: Cumbie is a great QB recruiter and seems to be good at helping QBs develop in non-mechanical ways. We need a talented GA or something to work with the QBs on game fundamentals because Cumbie sucks hard there.
Would love to know more about how to teach a kid to be clutch?

Froggish

Let me know when the transfer concept gets us to the next level...instead of just making our offense something the defense has to make up for...

Transfer or HS kid is irrelevant..We haven’t gotten a whole lot of adequate play out of either. If we’d rather load up on Transfers with 3-4 years to play, I could really not give a damn...We have to find a QB and at this point I don’t care where he comes from