• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Strong Back Nine Help Frogs to Fourth Place

JogginFrog

Frogs are looking good, but Triston Fisher just made double to go to +6. That puts pressure on the other four to avoid a big number down the stretch.

flyfishingfrog

There are six men's regionals, so it's not especially unjust for UT, as the top seed in its regional, to host. You expect the top seed to advance whether it hosts or not. It's a bigger issue for the competitive balance when a lower-seeded team hosts, as Oklahoma did last week for the women as a 5th seed. (Sooners did not advance.)
wait - you mean UT being 23 strokes ahead of the second place team may somewhat be due to their playing their home course....

I know they are better - but that is overdoing it a bit

JogginFrog

How do the tie breakers work for 5th?

Per the tournament manual:

Individual and Team Tie-breaking Procedures Teams. Ties shall be broken during a sudden-death playoff counting all five scores. ...The games committee will determine the playoff holes.​

They give two options for carrying out the playoff--the first one sends off teams in two fivesomes, with three players from one team and two from the other in Group A, then vice-versa in Group B.

The other is a shotgun start over multiple holes, which may be more manageable with 3+ teams.

Edit: If conditions do not allow for a playoff, they allow for a scorecard tiebreaker. The first tiebreaker is cumulative total of the non-counting scores.

MTfrog5

Make that 5 shots back for Arkansas after another bogey on 8 and bogey on 9. Their number 4 finished bogey, double, bogey and are having to use that score still.

JogginFrog

For the individual title, Chervony and Hammer are in the clubhouse at -9. Mazzoli is -8 with two holes to play. He played those holes even par on day 1 and 1-under on day 2.

JogginFrog

Make that 5 shots back for Arkansas after another bogey on 8 and bogey on 9. Their number 4 finished bogey, double, bogey and are having to use that score still.

Nightmare finish for them. Three under through 15 holes and then +8 on the last three. And to have the other teams coming to your home course for nationals.

JogginFrog

will be an interesting decision

Blessings is a lot different course that UT Golf Club

Probably depends on why he has struggled - ball striking vs distance vs short game

Was surprised to see how long Blessings is. Crazy -- 7,900+ yards.

How does Montigel typically make lineup decisions?

flyfishingfrog

Was surprised to see how long Blessings is. Crazy -- 7,900+ yards.

How does Montigel typically make lineup decisions?
I don't think it ever plays anywhere near 7900 - like a lot of modern courses that length gives them the option of stretching holes one day and then moving up 100 yds to next to create a totally different strategy.

I played a Sr amateur event there last year and we played the tips at around 7450 - which was still crazy long for a bunch of old guys but the pros said that was pretty common. It also has some elevation changes so some of the longer holes have a little down hill.

It is the greens that are just stupid - they want to be Oakmont. I think I had 4 holes where I was partially turned away from the hole on my first putt to try and lag it close. Makes Squire Creek feel like you are putting on shag carpet.

I am really not the best person to ask about Montigel's approach - he typically goes with the hot hand and who he feels is striking the ball best it seems, but he does pull out what seems like a random decision about 2-3 times a year that leaves me perplexed.

However his track record obviously demonstrates he knows how to get the best out of his team even if I sometimes wish the team had more of a drawl when they speak.

Last edited:

MTfrog5

I don't think it ever plays anywhere near 7900 - like a lot of modern courses that length gives them the option of stretching holes one day and then moving up 100 yds to next to create a totally different strategy.

I played a Sr amateur event there last year and we played the tips at around 7450 - which was still crazy long for a bunch of old guys but the pros said that was pretty common. It also has some elevation changes so some of the longer holes have a little down hill.

It is the greens that are just stupid - they want to be Oakmont. I think I had 4 holes where I was partially turned away from the hole on my first putt to try and lag it close. Makes Squire Creek feel like you are putting on shag carpet.

I am really not the best person to ask about Montigel's approach - he typically goes with the hot hand and who he feels is striking the ball best it seems, but he does pull out what seems like a random decision about 2-3 times a year that leaves me perplexed.

However his track record obviously demonstrates he knows how to get the best out of his team even if I sometimes wish the team had more of a drawl when they speak most years.
Have a buddy who has played that course and he hates it because of the greens. UT course I’ve heard it’s very gettable if you drive the ball in the right spots. It says it plays 7400 but a lot of that looks to be on the par 3’s, one par 4, and one par 5. Makes sense that Texas knows where to “miss” if there is that many gettable holes. Drive it in the right spot, lot of opportunities with short irons and wedges from what I’ve been told.

OU was the 5 seed in its women's regional (ranked approx. 18th nationally). UT was the 1 seed in its regional (ranked 6th nationally).

Because no golf course is reserved purely for college golf use, hosting bids are made well in advance and awarded by the NCAA on the basis of bid quality (cost, logistics, etc.) without regard to the ranking of the host team. However, unlike basketball, if a host team makes the field, it gets assigned to its own regional. It is an incentive to get teams to submit bids to host.

Currently, Stanford, UT and Georgia are host teams that are leading their respective regionals. Louisville is in fifth place in the regional it's hosting as a 5-seed (ranked 21st nationally); West Virginia and Iowa State are trying to chase them down on the last few holes. Host schools Washington State and Coastal Carolina did not make the field, rendering the Pullman and Myrtle Beach regionals as neutral sites.

If I'm Iowa State and WVU and miss qualifying by 1-2 shots to Louisville on its home course, I wouldn't be happy about it. It'd be easier to take if Louisville were a top-5 team and had "earned" hosting privileges that way.

OK thanks I see what you're saying now