• The KillerFrogs

Baldwin to transfer to TCU

Froggish

I respectfully disagree. I am not a Horn fan or backer but they will challenge this year IF Erhlinger stays healthy. It's all about the QB. That goes for any team, including ours.

It is a ton about the QB...See TCU last year. However, I’m not convinced that UT will be as good as last year..I also see the whole league being more competitive. Frogs and Baylor will be better...ISU defense will challenge our Frogs as the best unit in the league, and UT will be down..I fully expect OU to be really good but come back to the pack..I’m not a believer in Hurts arm

texas_sicilian

I respectfully disagree. I am not a Horn fan or backer but they will challenge this year IF Erhlinger stays healthy. It's all about the QB. That goes for any team, including ours.
Texas is one of the worst in the nation with only 8 returning starters in 2019. Yes, one of those is Sam E. SB Nation (Bill Connelly) has them ranked at 121 out of 130 teams in percent returning.

4th. down

After OU, there is a significant talent and coaching gap and OU's offensive starters, eight, are 4*. Texas has a QB, but if he gets injured, they slide way back. We could make the championship game if a QB shows up.

On a side note, Rogers never stops pursuing his craft as he is in a QB camp right now. Don't count him out. He's a RS but his knowledge of the offense is at least equal to Collins and ahead of Baldwin. We have to score and Delton, in 4 years has not shown he can light up the scoreboard, save and except the bowl game against UCLA which is an outlier IMO.

Froggish

After OU, there is a significant talent and coaching gap and OU's offensive starters, eight, are 4*. Texas has a QB, but if he gets injured, they slide way back. We could make the championship game if a QB shows up.

On a side note, Rogers never stops pursuing his craft as he is in a QB camp right now. Don't count him out. He's a RS but his knowledge of the offense is at least equal to Collins and ahead of Baldwin. We have to score and Delton, in 4 years has not shown he can light up the scoreboard, save and except the bowl game against UCLA which is an outlier IMO.

Delton lost the job at KSU...He seems like a great kid with a lot of leadership qualities but the facts are the facts...He couldn’t win the job outright at KSU...

MTfrog5

Delton lost the job at KSU...He seems like a great kid with a lot of leadership qualities but the facts are the facts...He couldn’t win the job outright at KSU...
That’s the interesting part that is a little hard to see past. He didn’t look great at KSU. Is that because the offense they ran didn’t fit his strengths or is it because he just wasn’t t very good? Guess we will see come fall. As to Rogers being at a QB camp, I’ve never wanted a kid to win the job so bad. If he doesn’t get hurt in high school, Delton isn’t here and he plays last year instead of Collins.

4th. down

We need to remember that Rogers was the No. 2 dual threat in the nation before injury. If he reports to fall camp at 95% physical, believe he's our QB until proven otherwise.

Let's look at what we have: Baldwin, don't know if he plays this year, Collins, didn't show that much last year, Duggan, probably RS, Delton, a reliable sub, just like he was at Kansas State. I don't think Sonny is making anymore promises to a QB about him being our QB like he did with Robinson. Believe he learned his lesson on that. Now, IF Baldwin is cleared to play, it will come down to a Rogers/Baldwin contest where we win at the end regardless of who comes out on top.

Froggish

That’s the interesting part that is a little hard to see past. He didn’t look great at KSU. Is that because the offense they ran didn’t fit his strengths or is it because he just wasn’t t very good? Guess we will see come fall. As to Rogers being at a QB camp, I’ve never wanted a kid to win the job so bad. If he doesn’t get hurt in high school, Delton isn’t here and he plays last year instead of Collins.

We’ve speculated a bunch around here about Delton being in the wrong offense at KSU but it seems to me he was in the perfect offense for his skill set..I mean outside the pure option what better fit would a running QB have?...The reality is you have to be able to effectively throw it in the Big12..Even Snyder came around to that idea in his last few years. That’s probably what relegated Delton to the bench..

We all want to see winning football from the QB position but I don’t think there’s a true Frog fan who doesn’t hope Rogers is the guy to do it. He’s a tireless worker who loves the game and by all accounts, loves being a Frog. His story he’s writing is an amazing one and I can’t help imagining his legend if he returned to form and led us to the playoff.

ShreveFrog

We’ve speculated a bunch around here about Delton being in the wrong offense at KSU but it seems to me he was in the perfect offense for his skill set..I mean outside the pure option what better fit would a running QB have?

I was going to say, outside of KSU maybe only the military academies fit his skills better. But let's see who can play this fall and who plays the best.

MTfrog5

I was going to say, outside of KSU maybe only the military academies fit his skills better. But let's see who can play this fall and who plays the best.
Triple option is a better fit than KSU. Delton needs the play to happen a lot faster than KSU ran their read plays.

BoondocksFrog

This says more about our QB room (prior to Baldwin)...after spring multiple reports had Delton as the leader of the pack. That said, Baldwin could shake things up.

McFroggin

We need to remember that Rogers was the No. 2 dual threat in the nation before injury. If he reports to fall camp at 95% physical, believe he's our QB until proven otherwise.

Let's look at what we have: Baldwin, don't know if he plays this year, Collins, didn't show that much last year, Duggan, probably RS, Delton, a reliable sub, just like he was at Kansas State. I don't think Sonny is making anymore promises to a QB about him being our QB like he did with Robinson. Believe he learned his lesson on that. Now, IF Baldwin is cleared to play, it will come down to a Rogers/Baldwin contest where we win at the end regardless of who comes out on top.

While I’m rooting for Rogers, he isn’t ready. Delton is ahead of him, and Collins may reach being healthy faster. He’s trying hard, but his foot isn’t cooperating.

4th. down

While I’m rooting for Rogers, he isn’t ready. Delton is ahead of him, and Collins may reach being healthy faster. He’s trying hard, but his foot isn’t cooperating.

Yes McFroggin, I know, and I don't have any "inside" info. But...........I'll take Rogers at 95% over Delton. You are not going to beat OU and Texas with Delton and no offense to Delton, but it is what it is, his track record is verifiable. Collins is good for 7-5 IMO. His passing is not that good (56%), and he turns the ball over too.

y2kFrog

Yes McFroggin, I know, and I don't have any "inside" info. But...........I'll take Rogers at 95% over Delton. You are not going to beat OU and Texas with Delton and no offense to Delton, but it is what it is, his track record is verifiable. Collins is good for 7-5 IMO. His passing is not that good (56%), and he turns the ball over too.

Collins only win as a starter (not counting the Baylor game which he had no part of winning) was over Delton. I still think Rogers beats them both out (even if he still has a bad foot). I have no thoughts on Baldwin until he’s ruled eligible.

4th. down

Collins only win as a starter (not counting the Baylor game which he had no part of winning) was over Delton. I still think Rogers beats them both out (even if he still has a bad foot). I have no thoughts on Baldwin until he’s ruled eligible.

Those missed extra points are brutal.

I don't see much difference between Collins and Delton.

Last edited:

Froggish

This says more about our QB room (prior to Baldwin)...after spring multiple reports had Delton as the leader of the pack. That said, Baldwin could shake things up.

I brought that up when we learned of the Delton Transfer here and was called an idiot by half of this board. To me there was no doubt we have real issues to be bringing in a guy like Delton. IMO, Spring only provided more doubt..Delton being called the clear favorite by insiders and yet another incoming transfer at the position. These are signs of a program grasping at straws. QB is the most important position on the field and we will head into fall camp with open try out....

Wexahu

Nobody knows if Rogers is any good or not. The line forms to the left when it comes to highly touted kids who never panned out in college and for some reason we make the assumption that if JR is healthy he's our best QB hands down.

I've said it many times and I still believe it's true. You don't know how good a QB is until they're faced with a 3rd and 8, the protection isn't all that great and the pocket is breaking down, and the 1st receiver option isn't open. Until then it's all just based on pretty passes, media hype and what a guy looks like in his uniform, which don't mean a dang thing. Give me the QB who has the balls and the ability to make plays under stress without being a turnover machine. Who that is of the four guys we have I have no idea.

4th. down

Nobody knows if Rogers is any good or not. The line forms to the left when it comes to highly touted kids who never panned out in college and for some reason we make the assumption that if JR is healthy he's our best QB hands down.

I've said it many times and I still believe it's true. You don't know how good a QB is until they're faced with a 3rd and 8, the protection isn't all that great and the pocket is breaking down, and the 1st receiver option isn't open. Until then it's all just based on pretty passes, media hype and what a guy looks like in his uniform, which don't mean a dang thing. Give me the QB who has the balls and the ability to make plays under stress without being a turnover machine. Who that is of the four guys we have I have no idea.

Yep, at the end of the day, that's what it comes down to.......who can win the game for you in crunch time.

Froggish

I’ve heard you use the 3rd and 8 line a number of times and while true, it applies to 1 Stars that are missing fingers as much as 4 stars... Yes 4star QBs miss all the time but the hype is generally based on a little more than looking good in a uniform. When people over hype players with accolades they are really just placing to much faith in their physical measurable tools.

Justin oozed measurables before his injury and I think there are a lot around here who want to equate that to success at TCU...As you’ve pointed out,it just doesn’t work that way...I wish it did...