• The KillerFrogs

Uhhh...Dixon to UCLA rumor/ news

BABYFACE

Comfortably Numb

4f0a6939415c84a23f106bb75cdc4720.gif

PurpleBlood87

Maybe Jamie never intended to leav
Did UCLA have a word minimum on everything? Good gosh y'all are wordy. If you're going to write so much anyways, you should go ahead and include a TLDR one sentence summary

Brevity is not a word taught at UCLA.

Last edited:

PurpleBlood87

Dang Eeyore, that's some restaurant-quality gloom right there... We'll be fine, with or without Jamie. Our big 3 men's programs are at a level now that championships (conference, at least) are regularly within reach if things break right. Even with different coaches.
I like Jamie, and pleased overall with his work here, but TJ did what in hindsight looks like remarkable work in bringing and keeping talent here under disastrous conditions.
Now we got a gym that shines like a diamond in a billy-goat's ass, and a donor class wiling to pour money down a basketball hole, I'd say that's more than enough to make us attractive to any number of coaches who could do what Jamie has done, or better.

No matter who is brought in to coach the problem is retaining recruits. What if Noi, Lat and Bane leave? It's a little late for a new coach to find what could end up being 7 or 8 players. That puts the program back how many years?

Billy Clyde

No matter who is brought in to coach the problem is retaining recruits. What if Noi, Lat and Bane leave? It's a little late for a new coach to find what could end up being 7 or 8 players. That puts the program back how many years?

Pretty sure there's a version of this post on last year's TT message boards, after losing 4 starters. Picked to finish last in conference. Turned out pretty decent for them. Teams lose players. Coaches get new ones. Life moves on. It's a unique sport in how few outstanding players it takes to compose a great team.

Rose Bowl

For a really good coach the more schollys he has the quicker the turnaround is. A great talent evaluator identifies guys who fit his system and then melds the parts into a team. Let’s hope Jamie can get some guys in who can play and we can field a representative side.

Billy Clyde

Losing Lat Mayen would have little to no impact. Losing Bane would be a huge hit.

I'm sure people will think I'm crazy, but I'm not a big fan of Bane. He's just not that much fun to watch to me, plus he disappears for long stretches at a time. Hate to say it, and I'm sure I'll get boo'd off the site for it, but there it is.

robbroyy

I'm sure people will think I'm crazy, but I'm not a big fan of Bane. He's just not that much fun to watch to me, plus he disappears for long stretches at a time. Hate to say it, and I'm sure I'll get boo'd off the site for it, but there it is.
He disappears because Robinson and Miller tried to do everything themselves at times. Bane wasn’t the alpha dog calling for the ball so he went with the flow.

I think with Kenric at PG it will be a lot different next year

Wexahu

"Not a fan" probably isn't the best way to put it, but he does have some limitations to his game, especially in the half-court offense. He just doesn't handle the ball or shoot off the dribble that well. That maybe more than anything is why he seems to disappear at times. Once the game slows down to the half court, he's just not all that difficult to defend, and our offense as a whole doesn't do a whole lot to spring guys open because generally the guys off the ball are kind of standing around instead of screening and cutting. That and the sometimes lazy defense is what has been so frustrating to watch.

Putt4Purple

I am for one very happy that JD is staying with the Frogs. One or two great players can turn a basketball program around. It is not like football which has many more personnel involved. It can be done very fast with a good supporting cast of coarse.

Billy Clyde

He disappears because Robinson and Miller tried to do everything themselves at times. Bane wasn’t the alpha dog calling for the ball so he went with the flow.

I think with Kenric at PG it will be a lot different next year

I hope you're right. I love Davis, from the moment he scored his first basket for us at home. Said then, he will turn out to be the one guy you need to feed the ball to, when you absolutely have to have a bucket. I love his intensity, even though he sometimes gets a little out of control.

PurpleBlood87

Pretty sure there's a version of this post on last year's TT message boards, after losing 4 starters. Picked to finish last in conference. Turned out pretty decent for them. Teams lose players. Coaches get new ones. Life moves on. It's a unique sport in how few outstanding players it takes to compose a great team.

Apples and oranges.

cheese83

I like Bane’s game a lot, he is a pretty good slasher for his size and can hit the 3 ball. He does need to work on aspects of his game but anticipate a big year out of him assuming he stays.

But if you want to talk about people disappearing or have night & day performances look at Noi. There were a number of conference games where he was sloppy and wouldn’t even shoot.

Both these guys can really improve a ton with a good summer of continued development.

Dogfrog

will be interesting to see an offense with two slightly more conventional PG’s in Davis and Farabello. While Bane is not a great ball handler, he is a very effective driver / finisher who could replace that part of Robinson’s game in certain circumstances. Look forward to seeing what Smith and Fuller bring also. Hopefully this time they will both come in and contribute immediately. Very happy with Samuel’s development as a freshman so we have a decent nucleus coming back.

PurpleBlood87

He disappears because the ARob doesn't distribute the ball at times and just dribbles the shot clock down to three seconds then takes a wild shot or attempts to drive the lane.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Okay...Just a reminder on what Pitt did regarding their oversized buyout when Jamie wanted to come to TCU. Read:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...pittsburgh-panthers-take-tcu-horned-frogs-job
Thanks for all of your input. Sorry your storied program couldn’t draw a new coach away from little old TCU. I’m sure Shaka Smart will be a great hire. And it’s probably guaranteed the Horns won’t hold him to a buyout. They may even be happy to let you have him.