• The KillerFrogs

Uhhh...Dixon to UCLA rumor/ news

Froginbedford

My gut at this point tells me Dixon is staying. The LA Times reported he was meeting with the team about an hour ago. No reports have leaked with him leaving. An assistant has been hired to the staff. You don't hire an assistant and then quit.

Channel 11 reported at the 6 p.m. news that Dixon is staying...FWIW....

TRF51

Channel 11 reported at the 6 p.m. news that Dixon is staying...FWIW....

If true things might be a little awkward going forward. They put coach in a tough spot. If you are going to hire him hire him and make a commitment, they knew he had a buy out going into it, if they didn’t they are stupid.

mc1502

So how does JD feel if he is only staying because TCU is requiring the $8M buyout, and he would really like to leave? Making him stay because his dream job's employer was too cheap to fund the buyout will not make him want his dream job any less. He might very well be left in a job he doesn't want, and have animosity towards his current employer because they stood between him and his nervana. I've seen this exact scenario over a dozen times in my capacity due to executive noncompete agreements

Frog Wild

Ticket Exchange Pass
So how does JD feel if he is only staying because TCU is requiring the $8M buyout, and he would really like to leave? Making him stay because his dream job's employer was too cheap to fund the buyout will not make him want his dream job any less. He might very well be left in a job he doesn't want, and have animosity towards his current employer because they stood between him and his nervana

He's got several million reasons to like his job, UCLA notwithstanding.

Francis Xav

I dont know how to read this : first, I can not fault any coach for entertaining the UCLA job. Nobody. Heck , Calipari went and listened. I dont think jamie is trying to get more money from us. But like I said, cant blame a coach for listening.

2: he did himself a favor by staying quiet. That is all I will say. While it may be a bit akward, if he stays, thats good because ucla will not be opening up for 4-5 years at minimum. These situations are hard, but staying quiet is probably the best move he could make .

Farmfrog

I have had a conversation with someone who has close contacts with UCLA and he swears the deal is going to get done. I told him what we’re hearing is that he’s staying. I just want this saga to be over one way or another.

Double V

Of course...they did a thorough job...You wouldn't want to hire a coach, then find out you could have had someone you thought was untouchable. How would you feel if TCU hires a coach...then later you learn that, say, Mark Few wanted the job--but your AD never even called him?

Famously, back when Jim Harrick was hired, someone in the press asked him about being the sixth choice...And Harrick responded "I wasn't my wife's first choice either"...
Who? and who?

Bruin Steve

I have a feeling with all the budget issues California is having the buyout and other terms are a huge issue. I am also not sure there is a booster willing to foot that bill right now, and the state of California might not allow it.

I'm not sure where all this sort of stuff comes from but...

First of all, California does NOT have any unusual "budget issues"...
When Jerry Brown took office in 2011, he inherited a $27 billion deficit from Schwarzenegger...and proceeded to better than balance the budget EVERY year of his two terms. The state now hold a budget SURPLUS of $14.5 BILLION.

Of course, all of that is pretty much immaterial. First of all, despite being a "public university", UCLA currently gets only a small percentage of its funding from the state...and the amount has been dwindling over the years...so much so, that there has even been talk of "taking the university private". But that argument is even more immaterial than that--those figures are really only for the academic side of things. The athletic department functions and is budgeted on its own--Donors, ticket sales, television revenues and a very large contract with Under Armor--pretty much the same as most other college sports programs are funded. And the state government actually, despite some people's ill-informed suppositions, has no veto power over which coaches the University hires. Can you imagine how things might go if you allowed the state government bureaucrats (many of whom are, perhaps, alums of USC, Stanford or Cal) to be able to gum up the works?

AddRan Clark

Fascinating. This is the kind of content I like to see on a board oriented towards my alma mater's athletics. The connections to California's finances are palpable. Any other relevant information we need to know about California, it's budget, and their state university system? Surely there's a lot more we really need to know about these things.

AroundWorldFrog

First of all, California does NOT have any unusual "budget issues"...
When Jerry Brown took office in 2011, he inherited a $27 billion deficit from Schwarzenegger...and proceeded to better than balance the budget EVERY year of his two terms. The state now hold a budget SURPLUS of $14.5 BILLION.

Of course, all of that is pretty much immaterial. First of all, despite being a "public university", UCLA currently gets only a small percentage of its funding from the state...and the amount has been dwindling over the years...so much so, that there has even been talk of "taking the university private". But that argument is even more immaterial than that--those figures are really only for the academic side of things. The athletic department functions and is budgeted on its own--Donors, ticket sales, television revenues and a very large contract with Under Armor--pretty much the same as most other college sports programs are funded. And the state government actually, despite some people's ill-informed suppositions, has no veto power over which coaches the University hires. Can you imagine how things might go if you allowed the state government bureaucrats (many of whom are, perhaps, alums of USC, Stanford or Cal) to be able to gum up the works?
Trying way too hard, dude.

netty2424

“As many have speculated, his interest in UCLA is very real. Both his and his wife’s parents still live in Southern California, and he is intrigued by the name recognition of a program like the Bruin’s - especially after TCU was snubbed by the NCAA Tournament this year. Dixon believes that, with 11 National Championships, UCLA would have gotten the benefit of the doubt, whereas his TCU team clearly did not.”

TooColdU

“As many have speculated, his interest in UCLA is very real. Both his and his wife’s parents still live in Southern California, and he is intrigued by the name recognition of a program like the Bruin’s - especially after TCU was snubbed by the NCAA Tournament this year. Dixon believes that, with 11 National Championships, UCLA would have gotten the benefit of the doubt, whereas his TCU team clearly did not.”

Well if CJD stays, he should talk to Donati about trying to get the Big 12 a representative on the selection committee. We were the only P5 conference without one this year.