• The KillerFrogs

DMN: TCU RB Sewo Olonilua squats 705 lbs twice in front of teammates

Spike

Lot's of armchair S&C coaches in here.

Lifting heavy (92%+ 1RM) with low numbers increases neurological firing leading to increased strength without adding mass. Lifting heavy is the only way to do this. The team most likely uses the conjugate system to develop speed/power and explosiveness, this requires lifting heavy. Tendons/ligaments grow 3x slower than muscles do. They need a [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] ton of stimulation to grow. How do you do that? Lift heavy.

How do you strengthen ligaments and tendons? Lift heavy.
How do you get stronger without adding unwanted mass? Lift heavy.
Padding on the bar only puts the back at a mechanical disadvantage and increases lower back injury risk due to moment arm extension. Use your natural padding (traps/delts) to protect the bone.
Literally no chance of "blowing a knee out" by lifting heavy. What happens is you lift light, don't stress the tendons/ligaments enough, then try and cut full speed and screw yourself. Or worse, you use a machine (leg press) to go heavy and be "safe" where you don't activate the stabilizers, go to cut, then rip half your [ steaming pile of Orgeron ].

FYI Don Sommer interned under Louie Simmons who consults for multiple NFL teams including the Patriots and pioneered the conjugate system. Leave the S&C work to the experts.

Thank you!!!!!

TCURiggs

Lots of armchair S&C coaches in here.

Lifting heavy (92%+ 1RM) with low numbers increases neurological firing leading to increased strength without adding mass. Lifting heavy is the only way to do this. The team most likely uses the conjugate system to develop speed/power and explosiveness, this requires lifting heavy. Tendons/ligaments grow 3x slower than muscles do. They need a [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] ton of stimulation to grow. How do you do that? Lift heavy.

Padding on the bar only puts the back at a mechanical disadvantage and increases lower back injury risk due to moment arm extension. Use your natural padding (traps/delts) to protect the bone.
Literally no chance of "blowing a knee out" by lifting heavy. What happens is you lift light, don't stress the tendons/ligaments enough, then try and cut full speed and screw yourself. Or worse, you use a machine (leg press) to go heavy and be "safe" where you don't activate the stabilizers, go to cut, then rip half your [ steaming pile of Orgeron ].

FYI Don Sommer interned under Louie Simmons who consults for multiple NFL teams including the Patriots and pioneered the conjugate system. Leave the S&C work to the experts.

One of the most informative posts I've read on here in quite some time. Good ship. Gracias.

What type of lifting do you recommend for a 36 year-old who mostly just plays golf and washers while drinking?

Surfrog

One of the most informative posts I've read on here in quite some time. Good ship. Gracias.

What type of lifting do you recommend for a 36 year-old who mostly just plays golf and washers while drinking?

Lol considering I just finished programming for clients and nothing better to do:

LIFTS:
I. Squat (back barbell, front barbell, Double KB Rack, KB Goblet, Single Arm KB Rack).
II. Deadlifts: (Barbell, KB, RDL).
III. Pull-Ups/TBar Row, Ring or TRX Row.
IV Lunges (Barbell, Lateral, KB Rack)
V. Cleans

Explosion: Box Jumps, Rotational Medball Throws, Sled Push

Stability: Plank, Deadbugs, Single Leg RDL, Glute Bridges, Single Leg Glute Bridge, Single Leg Squat off Box.

Atom

giphy.gif

CountryFrog

If you're trying to insinuate that these highly paid professionals know more about what they're doing than everyone on here then you can take that garbage somewhere else Sunshine Pumper.

TCURiggs

Lol considering I just finished programming for clients and nothing better to do:

LIFTS:
I. Squat (back barbell, front barbell, Double KB Rack, KB Goblet, Single Arm KB Rack).
V. Cleans

Stability: Plank, Deadbugs, Single Leg RDL, Glute Bridges, Single Leg Glute Bridge, Single Leg Squat off Box.

That sounds like a lot of work...

Paint It Purple

You obviously know your subject matter and could be correct for the ages. But, there has never been much decided science in these areas. Over the years much has been trial and error or ad hoc cases for certain individuals. Just about the time a certain methodology seems universally accepted, is the time when the next guru appears with a different approach. Years ago it was the strength coach at the University of Nebraska whom everyone followed to the letter. Now I guess Louie Simmons is an authority. I would just gently caution that guys like Louie Simmons advocate what originally worked specifically for them and some of their clients. Louie runs a gym I suppose and sells books and magazines. Louie probably doesn't report those individuals that his methods fail to work for. I guess I should have just written that the human body is not universally the same. What works to build strength or prevent injury for one, may not work for the next. It's probably difficult to individualize training for 100 football players, but that's why TCU has more than one strength coach I suppose.

Volare

My concern is not with "lifting heavy" as part of a structured program but rather with this annual "contest" where the whole team pumps each other up and competes to see who can lift what insane amount of weight. That atmosphere would seem to be asking for trouble. (Not saying that this instance with Sewo was the "contest"- in my recollection it is closer to the season, and they give out awards for linemen, RBs, WRs, etc.)

FrogCop19

Not to get NEARLY as technical as Surf did, max lifts are also a way to set a baseline for the rest of your individual workout regime.

You can't tell someone, "Do 3 x 8 reps of 135 lbs." if you don't know if they can lift 135 or not. What you CAN do is say, "Do 3x8 reps of 60% of your max on dynamic days, and graduated sets starting at 8 at 60%, 6 at 70%, 4 at 80%, and 2 at of 90% on heavy lift days."

So these heavy lift celebration days very well could be them establishing their max for the latest cycle, showing both themselves and their teammates their progression and growth. Hell yes I would celebrate being able to prove how much stronger I've gotten.

Surfrog

You obviously know your subject matter and could be correct for the ages. But, there has never been much decided science in these areas. Over the years much has been trial and error or ad hoc cases for certain individuals. Just about the time a certain methodology seems universally accepted, is the time when the next guru appears with a different approach. Years ago it was the strength coach at the University of Nebraska whom everyone followed to the letter. Now I guess Louie Simmons is an authority. I would just gently caution that guys like Louie Simmons advocate what originally worked specifically for them and some of their clients. Louie runs a gym I suppose and sells books and magazines. Louie probably doesn't report those individuals that his methods fail to work for. I guess I should have just written that the human body is not universally the same. What works to build strength or prevent injury for one, may not work for the next. It's probably difficult to individualize training for 100 football players, but that's why TCU has more than one strength coach I suppose.

Problem is, by the time the science has gone through the IRB process, study executed, and results peer-reviewed, someone else has come up with another protocol which might or might not work and shotgunned it through a marketing department i.e. orange theory, pure barre, etc to name a couple.

There is so much damn kool-aid out there it's hard for someone with an average background to tell the truth from [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ].

There's a reason Prilepins chart and the Conjugate system are still around - they work through the [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] and kool-aid.

It's hard to market hard work smart progressive programming. Everyone wants the easy way, the shortcut, the "secret."

maximilian

LIFTS:
V. Cleans

Gonna need you to post a vid of this workout in a tweet reply to one of our recruits to show them they don't even lift. Otherwise how will anyone know you lift?