• The KillerFrogs

2019 Recruiting Thread

asleep003

I've got no beef with small town ETx. I love it. I'd love to have some acreage outside Gladewater, White Oak, Etc. I'm from Kilgore and love ETx and the people there.

But anyone from Gladewater disparaging another small ETx town is a fool. Unless that town is Henderson. Screw that place.

Hmmmm

froginmn

Corby on The Ticket does a segment each year after signing day that takes a look back at the top 25 recruits in the country from 4 years ago.

Roughly half to 60%(didn’t really keep track) washed out for whatever reason and never lived up to the rankings, of which most of them were high 4 and 5 star locks.
This is precisely what drives me crazy when people say we need to increase our recruiting rankings. There are plenty of higher ranked kids who, instead of improving our program, may instead drag it down by getting in trouble with the law, skipping class, acting like prima donnas and actually hurting the team, etc.

You don't need the highest rated recruits, you need the right ones.

froginmn

We have this debate a hundred times a year. Take a look at the recruit rankings for the first round of the NFL draft, or the stats for how many kids in each ranking get drafted. Stars absolutely DO matter. Sure, lots of high-star kids wash out, but that’s true at every level.
To me this depends on whether you are trying to recruit kids who will have success at the next level, or at this one.

We've had some guys who were phenomenally successful with us but didn't become top pros. I'm fine with that, as long as they become successful humans.

4th. down

To me this depends on whether you are trying to recruit kids who will have success at the next level, or at this one.

We've had some guys who were phenomenally successful with us but didn't become top pros. I'm fine with that, as long as they become successful humans.

IMHO, this is a good discussion - this level or the next level. Personally I believe GP recruits for this level.

As somewhat of a guide, the following is a list of TCU players who made 1st. team all Big 12 since we entered the conference in '12. When you see the names it will bring back memories and just realize how many good players we have had that were not 4* recruits and certainly no 5*. How many are still in the NFL and are playing SIGNIFICANT minutes?

Fields, Maponga, Verrett, Boykin, Oberkrom, Dawson, Hackett, Doctson, Hunt, Pierson, Carraway, Kindred, Howard, Turpin, Banogu, Boesen, Texada, Orr, and Collier. 19 players in 7 years.

Moose Stuff

Sure, but we’re never gonna take the next step in recruiting until we consistently start putting our better players into the NFL and those players start succeeding in the NFL. We’ve had some, we need more. That’s the#1 way to sell a program these days. We need LJ and Ben to make it. We need Ross to make it. Reagor, Sewo, Niang, Innis, Gladney.....

4th. down

Sure, but we’re never gonna take the next step in recruiting until we consistently start putting our better players into the NFL and those players start succeeding in the NFL. We’ve had some, we need more. That’s the#1 way to sell a program these days. We need LJ and Ben to make it. We need Ross to make it. Reagor, Sewo, Niang, Innis, Gladney.....

Moose, I think the players you mentioned (8) all have a good chance of being drafted (not free agency) which would indicate GP's recruiting is getting better. The list of 1st. team all Big 12 is 19 and I only see 4/19 getting significant minutes and now you bring up 8 which are potentially going to make it. There is no doubt, the trend is good.

netty2424

It's not so much that they have no clue about how good the kid is, but it's that they have little clue about how good the kid is going to be. These are 16-17 year old kids....some are already grown up, others have a whole lot more growing up to do. I know how a kid projects physically plays a part in their ranking but that's about an impossible thing to predict. Everyone knows that kid in high school that was a badass athlete as a soph-junior just because he matured faster than everyone else. And then add to that you've got kids that get homesick, lose their work ethic/drive etc etc etc and it just makes it that much more of a crapshoot to identify the ones who will come close to reaching their potential.
That’s the point. Doesn’t matter what a kid did in high school, never know what a kids going to do when he gets to the next level, measurables or not.

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

That’s the point. Doesn’t matter what a kid did in high school, never know what a kids going to do when he gets to the next level, measurables or not.

So much of it comes down to makeup and how well your assistants are getting to know these kids as they recruit them. I always felt like Charlie Strong’s staff at UT was awful at this. Sure they got a bunch of highly regarded kids but I always felt like they were just randomly offering highly rated kids with little regard for if they were a good fit.

MTfrog5

So much of it comes down to makeup and how well your assistants are getting to know these kids as they recruit them. I always felt like Charlie Strong’s staff at UT was awful at this. Sure they got a bunch of highly regarded kids but I always felt like they were just randomly offering highly rated kids with little regard for if they were a good fit.
And offered whoever TCU offered.

Eight

gary touched on something in his last press conference that i truly believe does hurt the frogs in this state and it is the lack of respect the program receives in various areas of the state.

not just in the media, but i believe at the high school coaching staffs. over the holidays was at a friends house who coaches at the high school level and there were some other members of the staff. couple were guys who graduated from 1-aa schools, but were riding texas.

when i asked why i heard about mensa, the locker room etc.....part of this is an image war we won't ever win based on numbers of alums etc...but part of this is because we have not got word out about the facilities and in some cases opened up the program to the high school coaches as other schools around the state.

froginmn

I certainly understand your point and agree to an extent. But I don't know how to feel about the point that player success in the NFL is the #1 way to sell a program.

There are lots of schools that put tons of guys in the league but don't get highly rated classes - Pitt, Wisconsin, Cal to name a few.

Our recent string of tackles in the league doesn't seem to have improved our OL recruiting.

And again, we disagree on "the next step in recruiting". Many of the programs that get the highest rated guys end up dedicating time to getting them to go to class, stay off of the police blotter, work hard, spend time in the film room, etc.

I wouldn't trade our classes over the last ten years with UT's, and yet we've accomplished more. And I certainly don't envy Baylor for the highly rated guys they brought in - I don't want to compromise our standards for that.

To me, we're never going to get a top 10 class, and I'm fine with that. I just hope we get slightly higher rated guys who don't bring us trouble.

Eight

I certainly understand your point and agree to an extent. But I don't know how to feel about the point that player success in the NFL is the #1 way to sell a program.

There are lots of schools that put tons of guys in the league but don't get highly rated classes - Pitt, Wisconsin, Cal to name a few.

Our recent string of tackles in the league doesn't seem to have improved our OL recruiting.

And again, we disagree on "the next step in recruiting". Many of the programs that get the highest rated guys end up dedicating time to getting them to go to class, stay off of the police blotter, work hard, spend time in the film room, etc.

I wouldn't trade our classes over the last ten years with UT's, and yet we've accomplished more. And I certainly don't envy Baylor for the highly rated guys they brought in - I don't want to compromise our standards for that.

To me, we're never going to get a top 10 class, and I'm fine with that. I just hope we get slightly higher rated guys who don't bring us trouble.

1) you don't think players in the nfl at that position had a thing to do with landing williams and coker?

2) you really are going to play that card? why didn't turpin finish the season? i forgot, what was his injury?

tcu has kids that don't go to class on their own, get in trouble, and word has it even had a starting quarterback who really didn't like to do film work, but that only happens elsewhere right?

PO Frog

Uh, we have guys on staff dedicated to "project shadow" that do just this, so I'm not sure we are getting the big trade off you think we are.

Froggish

gary touched on something in his last press conference that i truly believe does hurt the frogs in this state and it is the lack of respect the program receives in various areas of the state.

not just in the media, but i believe at the high school coaching staffs. over the holidays was at a friends house who coaches at the high school level and there were some other members of the staff. couple were guys who graduated from 1-aa schools, but were riding texas.

when i asked why i heard about mensa, the locker room etc.....part of this is an image war we won't ever win based on numbers of alums etc...but part of this is because we have not got word out about the facilities and in some cases opened up the program to the high school coaches as other schools around the state.
GP is respected but not the most liked by the media.

Eight

You need to watch this.

i seen spiller play in several games and have not seen foster play in person, but i just don't see the explosiveness in spiller especially this past season.

not sure foster is the top back in the state and don't know how barlow isn't a 4-star, but i have said that for multiple tcu recruits in this class