• The KillerFrogs

2019 Recruiting Thread

Here is Dallas Morning News take on 2019 recruiting (remember it's a bunch of Baylor and Texas alumns running that paper )

Link:
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...texas-oklahoma-area-schools-stack-one-another

TCU

"Currently at No. 32 nationally, 2019 will mark the first time since 2015 that TCU has hauled in a recruiting class outside the top 30 in the 247Sports Composite if the rankings hold. The Horned Frogs still have the No. 3 class in the Big 12, and of course, rankings haven't dictated success for Patterson in the past. But on paper, the overall caliber of talent has a slight dip from 2016-2018." -- Dean Straka

Grade: B

Baylor: B+
Texas: A
Texas A&M: A
University of North Texas: B+
SMU: B
Texas team Oklahoma gets: A-

Eight

Here is Dallas Morning News take on 2019 recruiting (remember it's a bunch of Baylor and Texas alumns running that paper )

Link:
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...texas-oklahoma-area-schools-stack-one-another

TCU

"Currently at No. 32 nationally, 2019 will mark the first time since 2015 that TCU has hauled in a recruiting class outside the top 30 in the 247Sports Composite if the rankings hold. The Horned Frogs still have the No. 3 class in the Big 12, and of course, rankings haven't dictated success for Patterson in the past. But on paper, the overall caliber of talent has a slight dip from 2016-2018." -- Dean Straka

Grade: B

Baylor: B+
Texas: A
Texas A&M: A
University of North Texas: B+
SMU: B
Texas team Oklahoma gets: A-

if the tcu class is rated higher in the big 12 than the baylor class how is the tcu class rated a b and baylor a b+

if the tcu class is rated higher in the big 12 than the baylor class how is the tcu class rated a b and baylor a b+

Because Baylor is rebuilding they would say after the rape scandal. But really it's because our media in DFW is infested with Baylor and Texas grads. Our DFW media support the rapists over the local teams. They can't wait to praise Rhule and Herman.

Ray Finkle

If this clown was really good at identifying talent, he’d be on a coaching staff somewhere. I’ve always trusted our coaches’ eyes for talent and could care less about what this guy, Rivals, etc. have to say about our recruiting haul. It always seems to workout for us. We won a Rose Bowl with classes that were like #70 in the country.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
The ranking system makes no sense regardless. Arizona State (I think, I’ve had whiskey since i looked) has a lower average rating and less commits yet somehow a higher overall ranking than TCU. There is no math in the universe where that makes sense. Except maybe common core math but no one knows how to do that.

Eight

The ranking system makes no sense regardless. Arizona State (I think, I’ve had whiskey since i looked) has a lower average rating and less commits yet somehow a higher overall ranking than TCU. There is no math in the universe where that makes sense. Except maybe common core math but no one knows how to do that.

you won't get any disagreement from me.

two things i really love about the rankings that popped up this year.

texas is given credit for bru mccoy among their 2019 class except for one small thing. bru has already enrolled at usc and is a transfer. why include mccoy among the texas class and exclude plant, blackshear, and delton from the tcu class?

second is the shooting star phenomenon we saw with some recruits coming out of nowhere in the rankings.

isiah hookfin plays for a large program in ft bend so he isn't in the middle of nowhere, is barely moving the needle from anyone until most of the offensive tackles are off the table. next thing we know hookfin has passed both coker and williams in getting his 4th star. williams kicks ass for the state champion all season and nada.

same with the linebacker from virginia who signed with unc and jordan. both got "discovered" late which happens, but my favorite part is they both get rated down the rankings in their initials rankings and then skyrocket with teams start recruiting them.

Wexahu

Ranking kids to the 4th decimal point is completely ridiculous, but when we land a kid with a high ranking we get pretty damn excited about it....and don't hesitate to bring up that kid's ranking as an indication of how good a player the kid is.

I think our class is really good, mainly because I don't think there's nearly as much dead weight at the "bottom" as has been in some others. DE looked pretty bleak late but the staff did a great job filling that gap as best they could.

netty2424

Corby on The Ticket does a segment each year after signing day that takes a look back at the top 25 recruits in the country from 4 years ago.

Roughly half to 60%(didn’t really keep track) washed out for whatever reason and never lived up to the rankings, of which most of them were high 4 and 5 star locks.

The reality is people get excited for these high ranking kids committing/signing with their schools after watching a 2 minute highlight clip, but really have no clue how good the kid even is.

4th. down

Starsies are well, mostly hype for ESPN, pundits, talking heads, alumni, etc. However an interesting stat is the Big 12 had 5 defensive linemen at the NFL combine and Clemson had 4. Clemson wasn't much when we beat them in '09, Dabo's first year. How have they done it?

TX_Krötenechse

We have this debate a hundred times a year. Take a look at the recruit rankings for the first round of the NFL draft, or the stats for how many kids in each ranking get drafted. Stars absolutely DO matter. Sure, lots of high-star kids wash out, but that’s true at every level.

That said, once you’re out of the true elite kids - mid four-star and below, say - there’s very little difference, and a lot of kids get ranked higher simply because the services people have seen them play or seen them at camps.

Froggish

Starsies are well, mostly hype for ESPN, pundits, talking heads, alumni, etc. However an interesting stat is the Big 12 had 5 defensive linemen at the NFL combine and Clemson had 4. Clemson wasn't much when we beat them in '09, Dabo's first year. How have they done it?
No real answer other than that winning on a National scale has a profound effect. After winning the Rose we got a bump. Clemson Broke through on the national level and has sustained. There’s just to many variables to really know what causes a snowball like that. I can’t help but think that if we played in the 2014 CFB playoff we would have less up and down

Wexahu

The reality is people get excited for these high ranking kids committing/signing with their schools after watching a 2 minute highlight clip, but really have no clue how good the kid even is.

It's not so much that they have no clue about how good the kid is, but it's that they have little clue about how good the kid is going to be. These are 16-17 year old kids....some are already grown up, others have a whole lot more growing up to do. I know how a kid projects physically plays a part in their ranking but that's about an impossible thing to predict. Everyone knows that kid in high school that was a badass athlete as a soph-junior just because he matured faster than everyone else. And then add to that you've got kids that get homesick, lose their work ethic/drive etc etc etc and it just makes it that much more of a crapshoot to identify the ones who will come close to reaching their potential.

JogginFrog

Never been to Newton but Gladewater kid making fun of anything is pretty comical

No kidding. I drive through Gladewater to go to my grandmother's house in Longview. The town has a "loop" so I guess they think they're big time. It's really nothing more than a 1 mile bypass to totally avoid the town.

Hey now--a little respect for TCU great Tony Jeffery's hometown. It may not be much of a place, but it still produced the "Gladewater Glide."
https://forum.killerfrogs.com/index...all-the-best-of-the-best-running-back.152492/

Purp

Hey now--a little respect for TCU great Tony Jeffery's hometown. It may not be much of a place, but it still produced the "Gladewater Glide."
https://forum.killerfrogs.com/index...all-the-best-of-the-best-running-back.152492/
I've got no beef with small town ETx. I love it. I'd love to have some acreage outside Gladewater, White Oak, Etc. I'm from Kilgore and love ETx and the people there. But anyone from Gladewater disparaging another small ETx town is a fool. Unless that town is Henderson. Screw that place.