• The KillerFrogs

Kyler Murray signs with A's, will QB Sooners this fall

Chico Dusty

closest thing to murray was mike vick and vick had a much stronger arm. i will agree vick wasn't as accurate, but arm strengh isn't comparable and vick could match him in foot speed relative to his peers.vick was also a bit over 6' and over 200 lbs.

it is all bar talk at this time by mcshay and kiper and this is what we have seen in every sport from espn. take a story with some basis and blow it way out of proportion.

you are getting more and more push from veterans for guaranteed money in their contracts which means if you are drafting players you damn well better be right or it will cost your team more than a draft pick if you are wrong. mcshay can say what he says because if he is wrong it isn't his job.

there is no douby murray is an nfl athlete, but that doesn't mean he is an nfl quarterback and we have seen great college quarterbacks who didn't get the chance because they didn't fit the nfl game. even with the changes small players just don't last in that league with the brutal pounding and it would take someone like gruden who pretty much has been given full authority or a guy with nothing left to lose.

Yep. And Vick was a total freak of an athlete. The all time leading rusher as a QB. An absolute burner with insane quickness and escapability. I don’t see Murray being able to do that in the league.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I don’t think you’ll find too many people (if anyone) who would say he has a plus baseball arm. Football arm strength and baseball arm strength often don’t correlate though. John Elway didn’t throw a baseball nearly as well as a football from what I’ve been told. Former TCU QB Leon Clay could throw the hell out of a football and had a hard time getting it to 2B from RF in the air.
Liked for Leon Clay. First QB I watched play at TCU.

helcap

I don’t think you’ll find too many people (if anyone) who would say he has a plus baseball arm. Football arm strength and baseball arm strength often don’t correlate though. John Elway didn’t throw a baseball nearly as well as a football from what I’ve been told. Former TCU QB Leon Clay could throw the hell out of a football and had a hard time getting it to 2B from RF in the air.
I think you were told wrong about Elway
http://www.espn.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/10608/undefined

Thirty years after John Elway played his one and only season of minor league baseball for the Oneonta Yankees in 1982, his manager still recalls the way the future Hall of Fame quarterback would make baserunners pay for challenging his arm.
Ken Berry, a former Gold Glove outfielder who managed Oneonta that season, remembers one throw in particular.

“Ball went to the fence in right field, and it was a pretty deep right field, and the guy was trying for a triple,” Berry says. “And [Elway] picked the ball up and turned, took just a short crow hop and threw it all the way in the air right to the third baseman. The ball got there about 20 feet before the guy did. It was the kind of throw you see guys make when they charge the ball, and they’ve got their feet going underneath them, and they really drive off and release it, and it’s on a line and very accurate.

“Well this, he just picked it up and turned and threw it. So I knew I was looking at something special.”

Last edited:

FBallFan123

Quote said:
“Kyler has every intention of fulfilling his agreement with the A’s and he’s grateful he has had the chance to pursue his college goals,” Boras said by phone. “He will be in spring training with the A’s.”

Quote said:
“Kyler said more than a week ago that he’s going to spring training,” Boras said. “When people come around this kid and ask him all this stuff about his future and he said, ‘We’ll talk about it after the season,’ that’s what he’s saying. His attitude is, ‘The Oakland A’s gave me an opportunity to fulfill a personal goal in college football and when it’s complete, I’ll return to my contractual commitment.’”

Quote said:
Should Murray opt out of his contract with the A’s, he would have to repay the $4.66 million signing bonus in full. The amount is roughly equivalent to what a late first-round NFL pick might expect. Oakland, however, would not receive a compensation pick in next year’s amateur draft; that provision only kicks in when a draft pick does not sign, and Murray has done so.

FBallFan123

[

A’s expecting him to enter NFL draft.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/athletics/amp/A-s-draftee-Kyler-Murray-will-not-play-both-13521091.php

“SF Chronicle” said:
The A’s expect Heisman Trophy winner Kyler Murray, the team’s top pick in June, to declare for the NFL draft Sunday, multiple sources told The Chronicle on Wednesday.

Declaring for the draft does not guarantee that Murray, an outfielder whom Oakland selected ninth overall, will decide to reject his $4.66 million deal with the A’s outright, but it certainly increases the chances that Oklahoma’s quarterback will decide to go pro in football rather than baseball.

According to a source, Murray declaring for the draft is not considered to be contractually significant.

Should Murray, 21, opt to enter the NFL draft, the real question will come Feb. 15 when A’s position players report to Mesa, Ariz. — Murray has an invite to big-league camp. He still could opt to be in the A’s camp, but the NFL scouting combine begins Feb. 26 and any high-round hopeful would be expected to attend. That’s when Murray would have to make a decision between football and baseball. One source told The Chronicle that Murray, a possible first-round NFL pick, is leaning toward football.

Late Wednesday night, a source indicated the A’s might consider allowing Murray to go the combine, a move that would require the approval of Major League Baseball.

If Murray chooses the NFL and does not play baseball, he would have to return the signing bonus, but the A’s will not receive a compensation pick in this June’s draft. Numerous first-round major-league picks have failed to sign, including Stanford pitcher Mark Appel in 2012, but the Pirates received a compensation pick the following year.