• The KillerFrogs

The New Orleans Times-Picayune: Kenrich Williams' salary guaranteed

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Contracts for 3 Pelicans become guaranteed as deadline passes

By Andrew Lopez, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
andrew_lopez@nola.com

The Times-Picayune

Three of the non-guaranteed contracts for the New Orleans Pelicans became fully guaranteed for the 2018-19 season on Monday as the deadline to waive those players passed at 4 p.m.

Center Jahlil Okafor, guard Tim Frazier and forward Kenrich Williams all had their salaries for the current season guaranteed.

Read more at https://www.nola.com/pelicans/2019/...ans-become-guaranteed-as-deadline-passes.html

4 Oaks Frog

Saw a NBA writer on twitter say this was the feel good story of the year in the NBA. I didn’t realize how rare it is to do what KW did
I am not aware of KW’s story other than he was very good at TCU. Where can go to read the full story?
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!

Wexahu

Now don't go spending it all! That'll be a good chunk of change that'll last a long time if he's careful with it.

yurintroubl

I am not aware of KW’s story other than he was very good at TCU. Where can go to read the full story?
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!
As the NBA Draft approached - KW made it clear that he had no interest in signing a 2-way contract (split time with D-league/cap on NBA appearances....WAY less $). There were a couple of teams that wanted to draft him in the second round - but didn't because of his stand on that fact. So he was passed up in the draft and signed with a team that was willing to give him a shot to earn a spot on their active NBA roster.

Long story short - He bet on himself vs ASTRONOMICAL odds and won. Not many undrafted guys get active spots their rookie year. I can't think of a single one of those who did it by going undrafted on purpose.

Purp

As the NBA Draft approached - KW made it clear that he had no interest in signing a 2-way contract (split time with D-league/cap on NBA appearances....WAY less $). There were a couple of teams that wanted to draft him in the second round - but didn't because of his stand on that fact. So he was passed up in the draft and signed with a team that was willing to give him a shot to earn a spot on their active NBA roster.

Long story short - He bet on himself vs ASTRONOMICAL odds and won. Not many undrafted guys get active spots their rookie year. I can't think of a single one of those who did it by going undrafted on purpose.
To add to this, there is a lot more security in a 2 way contract in that it guarantees a minimum amount of pay, but the downside is it puts a much lower ceiling on your pay potential. And, as you pointed out, another drawback is that it puts a cap on the number of NBA games you can play, but most other guys are willing to accept that bc it also provides an easier path to NBA appearances.