• The KillerFrogs

Early NFL entrants

Mean Purple

I have always found the obsession with "speed" to be silly. Some guys run fast. Some guys catch the damned ball. Very few can do both. Given the choice between speed, and ability to catch the damned ball, I believe catching the damned ball is superior in importance to running fast. If the Fastest Receiver in the World does nothing but drop the damned ball, well...
'football speed' always more important than timed speed. granted, that really comes into play with a corner, but rcvrs fit into it.

One Frog Nation

Michael Irvin wasn’t the fastest 40 guy but he got separation and ran away from defenders in route to long catches or scores. Emmitt Smith wasn’t a burner either, but was gone more often than not once he burst into the open. What I referring to is FB speed rather than a straight line 4o time. Think that is a more important component. Reagor has both.
Loved Michael but he was the master of the push off.

FrogLifeYo

Pro game references aren’t very relevant. At the pro level there are 3 times the amount of contested- 50/50 balls then in the college game. An NFL guy has to do more than be a sprinter to be a difference maker. Put a speedster in the right system in college and he’ll look like an All American the day he steps on campus..See Marquis Brown at OU..That guys will be an average NFL WR. Part of the problems with our passing game is most the passes we throw beyond the line of scrimmage are 50/50 balls. Contrast that with OU or OSU who are throwing into seems and crossing space allowing their WR to beat coverage it’s just a completely different philosophy.

FrogLifeYo

These situations are equalizers of sorts for programs like TCU that don’t quite get the number of elite recruits that other teams might. Obvious I know, but the big power programs lose guys almost every year and sometimes lots of them. And it’s getting more and more rampant it seems.
Excellent point...At the end of the day that’s what makes Bama and Clemson so special. They have been able to build depth like nobody has seen since the old cheating non-scholarship limit days..

ftwfrog

David Long, WVU is going pro.

WVU will take a step back next year and we have them at The Carter but this is a big loss on their defense.