• The KillerFrogs

TCU v SMU

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
I think going small was the right move. SMU was quick, and when they spread the floor we didn't always move quickly enough to stop drives and cuts. Watch for a bunch of Samuels Friday, unless USC is also a small/quick team, which I'm not sure of offhand. Should have plenty of energy.

MTfrog5

Foul trouble for Samuels. Alok, possibly a project in the making. He's not ready for Big 12 basketball.
I think we might see us go “small” with Miller and Noi at the 4 and 5. Spread some of these Big 12 teams out and play at a quicker tempo. Alok isn’t ready yet. He has the body for a big man and I think he will turn a corner at some point. Until then though I liked tonight’s second half lineup

Wexahu

Hell of a win considering how we got down 10 in the first half. I won’t even talk about the officials but that was a good road win

It’s college basketball. Calls always go against you on the road, and for you at home. Been that way forever.

SuperTFrog

Paging SMUFrogger or whatever the hell his name is. Remember that basketball was the only thing you had over TCU. Must crush you that even that is gone. This is going to be a tough decade for the DFW rivalry for y’all.

CountryFrog

Good win. Need more from the bigs so that we don't have to take 30 3s every night. Perimeter defense has looked really good the last couple games.

Other than that, scheiss SMU

Frogs won the turnover battle 20 to 10 tonight and made their free throws down the stretch. Great to get the win at Moody as we continue to claim Metroplex dominance over the ponies for the second year in a row.

All road wins are good wins, now let’s go beat the piss out of the Trojans and keep this win streak going.

4th. down

I think we might see us go “small” with Miller and Noi at the 4 and 5. Spread some of these Big 12 teams out and play at a quicker tempo. Alok isn’t ready yet. He has the body for a big man and I think he will turn a corner at some point. Until then though I liked tonight’s second half lineup

JD, based on the opponent, for some reason, wanted to go small. Samuels got 2 fouls in 4 minutes. After that, JD didn't play him much and Alok, maybe next season for him. Davis looks to be good, Nembhard and Archie, next season. We have 3 pt. guards that can play, 2 at a high level, so believe this is our offense for this year - space, move, and shoot it.

Miller has made a big jump so far this season compared to last year. He has taken a leadership role. Personally, I like Noi first off the bench. Depending on the opponent, Samuels may not start in favor of going small and quick and that Davis is really, really, quick.

4th. down

I think going small was the right move. SMU was quick, and when they spread the floor we didn't always move quickly enough to stop drives and cuts. Watch for a bunch of Samuels Friday, unless USC is also a small/quick team, which I'm not sure of offhand. Should have plenty of energy.

USC is our best non conference opponent. 2 big power forwards 6'10" and 6' 11" and both scorers. 3 losses and 2 of the 3 to ranked opponents. If we win this game on the road, believe we can handle anything in conference except Kansas and maybe split with them. Samuels, get ready as they will probably use a 3/2 zone press on us, trying to take out our 3 pt. shooters and block the paint with their power forwards. It will be a great win for us.

insolventfrog

I honestly thought the officiating was ok. Seemed to favor the team on a run. I remember we got what I thought were a pair of bailout calls and a couple advantageous no-calls while we were killing it in H2.

In my book, "seemed to favor the team on a run" is "inconsistent officiating" ... which is the very definition of "bad officiating (or one of them)," especially when it appears to be contributing to the "run."
With the purple-tinted glasses on, I recall a "charge" called on Noi in the second half (I think it was Noi. Two head-bands + after 11 p.m. = not fully awake) driving to the basket at around the two minute mark when the SMU player clearly turned into our guy. If SMU's piece of crap guard was half as good at basketball as he is at deserving a technical and made the ensuing three, it would have been a 3-point game instead of an 8-point game (well, it should have been an 8-point game). I don't think the complaints about the officiating for this game refer to anything in particular so much as how they impacted the flow of the game.
Speaking of "charges," what the heck is a charge anymore? I know it's never been clear, but it seems like anything goes these days. If they are really concerned about "player safety," it seems like they'd want to limit the head-on collisions rather than encourage 'em by handing out charges like a communist hands out the promise of "free" health care.

insolventfrog

I honestly thought the officiating was ok. Seemed to favor the team on a run. I remember we got what I thought were a pair of bailout calls and a couple advantageous no-calls while we were killing it in H2.

In my book, "seemed to favor the team on a run" is "inconsistent officiating" ... which is the very definition of "bad officiating (or one of them)," especially when it appears to be contributing to the "run."
With the purple-tinted glasses on, I recall a "charge" called on Noi in the second half (I think it was Noi. Two head-bands + after 11 p.m. = not fully awake) driving to the basket at around the two minute mark when the SMU player clearly turned into our guy. If SMU's piece of crap guard was half as good at basketball as he is at deserving a technical and made the ensuing three, it would have been a 3-point game instead of an 8-point game (well, it should have been an 8-point game). I don't think the complaints about the officiating for this game refer to anything in particular so much as how they impacted the flow of the game.
Speaking of "charges," what the heck is a charge anymore? I know it's never been clear, but it seems like anything goes these days. If they are really concerned about "player safety," it seems like they'd want to limit the head-on collisions rather than encourage 'em by handing out charges like a communist hands out the promise of "free" health care.

Eight

watched the second half of gonzaga-washington after the game and i really like the way gonzaga works the ball inside.

i know that samuel wasn't on the floor very long and alok is pretty much a none factor. i do think it would be possible to use samuel and miller posting up and i think miller could be very effective when the inside game and his ability to step out.