• The KillerFrogs

2019 Recruiting Thread

Eight

Isn’t Carthage a much bigger school than Newton?

carthage now is a little more than double (~700 kids in the high school) the size of newton (~300 kids in the high school).

i remember that carthage team, but what i remember was pretty much dwight carrying that team. they had some other talent, but he was far and away the star.

barlow might not be the back dwight was in high school, but he will be eligible for one and secondly he is paired in that offense with a great receiver prospect in brown.

i think that is the big difference. darwin is very tough to stop by himself and i don't see many small schools having the talent in their secondary to man up and take away tamauzia.

Purp

Isn’t Carthage a much bigger school than Newton?
I bet Carthage is about twice the size of Newton in enrollment, but they're both very small. I think Carthage graduating classes are around 150 kids. It's hard to consider a school that small being much bigger than another, but I suppose it's true in percentage terms. Definitely makes the collection of talent at Newton that much more impressive, though.

Eight

I bet Carthage is about twice the size of Newton in enrollment, but they're both very small. I think Carthage graduating classes are around 150 kids. It's hard to consider a school that small being much bigger than another, but I suppose it's true in percentage terms. Definitely makes the collection of talent at Newton that much more impressive, though.

split the enrollment in two under the presumption 50-50 split between males and females.

that would give carthage a little over 350 boys in the high school compared to 150 at newton. granted, it isn't the same as comparing allen high school to a smaller 6a, but when you are picking sides those extra 200 bodies matter.

i have a friend who coached at shiner years ago when they won a state title. he would tell you the big key for them is their senior class was 2/3 boys.

Eight

friend texted me and suggested the big sandy teams which were class b back in the 70's.

they won 3 straight titles and featured former sooner great and nfl running back david overstreet along with illinois coach lovie smith.

i didn't know much about the team so i googled it and lovie apparently was primarily a defensive player, but i would guess he played some offense on a team that small.

in 1975 big sandy out scored their 15 opponents 824-15 with overstreet scoring 52 rushing td's on his own. wayyyyyy before texas high schools were passing much as big sandy ran for a national record 114 td's.

trio at newton has accounted for 73 td's in 12 games with a maximum of 3 games to go in their season.

CountryFrog

I grew up in a small town. We were 2A all the way up through my 8th grade year. Then in 9th grade we went up to 3A (this was before the classification change with adding 6A and was totally due to the school getting larger). The difference in competition when you go from being a large 2A school to a small 3A school is dramatic. 300 or 400 more kids in a school may not be much in pure numbers but when those numbers equate to twice the enrollment of your school then it's almost not fair how much more talent they are able to put out there in all sports.

It says a lot about the talent of those 3 guys at Newton to be able to lead a small school to that much success against bigger schools.

Eight

I grew up in a small town. We were 2A all the way up through my 8th grade year. Then in 9th grade we went up to 3A (this was before the classification change with adding 6A and was totally due to the school getting larger). The difference in competition when you go from being a large 2A school to a small 3A school is dramatic. 300 or 400 more kids in a school may not be much in pure numbers but when those numbers equate to twice the enrollment of your school then it's almost not fair how much more talent they are able to put out there in all sports.

It says a lot about the talent of those 3 guys at Newton to be able to lead a small school to that much success against bigger schools.

they played gilmer (almost 700 students) and beat them by 30 as well as west orange stark (almost 600) by 14 in a monsoon.

you are not only talking two schools with roughly double the enrollments, but two schools that are known for being loaded with athletes who can run their asses off and play some football.

Uncle_Frog

The kid looks like a cross between Turpin and Reagor. Tell me I’m crazy.

giphy.gif

Moose Stuff

Just giving you guys the two week notice of early signing day and asking for input on whether we want a 2019 Recruiting Thread Part 2 to discuss players that do not sign early. It caused mass confusion in 2018, which I enjoyed but I’m sure others did not. Thoughts? Yay or nay?

Bizarro Frog

Just giving you guys the two week notice of early signing day and asking for input on whether we want a 2019 Recruiting Thread Part 2 to discuss players that do not sign early. It caused mass confusion in 2018, which I enjoyed but I’m sure others did not. Thoughts? Yay or nay?
Would love one. Not sure why folks like just absolute bog down threads.

Eight

I’m thinking we should all switch names too. Like I’ll be Bob, and Bob can be Ron Swanson, and Ron can be LisaLT, and Lisa can be steel..... but we don’t really tell anyone, just the person we switch with. Now THAT would be mass confusion.

how is that any different from the normal day to day on this board.

i am pretty sure 5 russian teenagers are 90% of the accounts