• The KillerFrogs

2019 Recruiting Thread

Wexahu

I've always kind of wondered, who ranks these players? Is it people like Jeremy Clark or are there actual talent evaluators working all these camps, watching games, etc that do it? Is it based on skills testing, eye test, offer list, or some combination of all? I just can't imagine when there are literally 2,000 - 3,000 or so kids how in the heck they could be ranked down to the 4th decimal point with any sort of accuracy at all.

Sometimes I wonder if it's all kind of a big sham and people are so starved for "rankings" that we bite hook, line and sinker.....and the people that do this stuff just kind of sit back and laugh at the craziness of it all.

Eight

Appears we are building a Juco All-Star Team. If it’s good for Coach P it’s good for me.

Does a commit like Adam Plant who is a year removed from high school not get a rating anymore? Just wondering.

huh? barkley and viramon would be the 2nd and 3rd juco commits of this class.

far, far, far cry from some of the juco heavy classes signed by snyder's ksu program and barkely and misi are 4 to play 3 juco's.

bulk of the class are high school kids, plant is a bit of an untraditional recruit, but is a high school kid and the juco's are addressing areas that either need depth/competition or play makers.

CountryFrog

I've always kind of wondered, who ranks these players? Is it people like Jeremy Clark or are there actual talent evaluators working all these camps, watching games, etc that do it? Is it based on skills testing, eye test, offer list, or some combination of all? I just can't imagine when there are literally 2,000 - 3,000 or so kids how in the heck they could be ranked down to the 4th decimal point with any sort of accuracy at all.

Sometimes I wonder if it's all kind of a big sham and people are so starved for "rankings" that we bite hook, line and sinker.....and the people that do this stuff just kind of sit back and laugh at the craziness of it all.
Recruiting rankings are absolutely a sham. There are much better and more qualified people with infinitely more information scouting NFL prospects, and even those guys probably don't have a 50% hit rate because scouting and projecting players is incredibly difficult.

It's easy enough to identify a Jadeveon Clowney or Cam Newton type guy coming out of high school. Where it gets really hard and bordering on impossible is trying to identify those 2nd and 3rd tier levels of players out of the thousands that are out there. Throw in the fact that 90% or more of the people doing these "evaluations" have no qualifications whatsoever to do that job and it makes it even harder. So most recruiting services just default to a combination of offer list and height/weight/speed measurables because the true difference between the 80th best high school player in the country and the 380th best is usually pretty small.

Eight

Recruiting rankings are absolutely a sham. There are much better and more qualified people with infinitely more information scouting NFL prospects, and even those guys probably don't have a 50% hit rate because scouting and projecting players is incredibly difficult.

It's easy enough to identify a Jadeveon Clowney or Cam Newton type guy coming out of high school. Where it gets really hard and bordering on impossible is trying to identify those 2nd and 3rd tier levels of players out of the thousands that are out there. Throw in the fact that 90% or more of the people doing these "evaluations" have no qualifications whatsoever to do that job and it makes it even harder. So most recruiting services just default to a combination of offer list and height/weight/speed measurables because the true difference between the 80th best high school player in the country and the 380th best is usually pretty small.

max emfinger was some of the best comedy ever on the radio when he would try to explain his process for evaluating and comparing talent.

you mention clowney, a year or so back our son sent me the link to clowney's high school tape and if you want a good laugh some time i recommend people go watch it. his best highlights might be his playing running back.

CryptoMiner

kid will end up in pullman with the pirate, throw for 5,000 yards in a year, and then get rolled by udub in the apple cup

His stats are a mixed bag, 2100 passing yards in 11 games is okay and 19 TD but 13 ints. Was sacked 21 times which usually means he was behind a very weak OL (they rushed for 3.2 YPC) so stats can be misleading on him.

helcap

I didn't realize some of our forum members did this on the side.

netty2424

The kid looks like a cross between Turpin and Reagor. Tell me I’m crazy.
giphy.gif

FrogLifeYo

So we are at 19 commits currently...The guy I’m most intrigued by is Jason Vaughn...This kid has a good frame at 6-5 225 and what video is out there shows he played with a ton of speed even with his hand in the dirt. He went from HS in Miami to a Prep Academy But beyond that there he is not even ranked by any recruiting services. Zero starzies....There is almost no info on him..How sweet would it be if that kid turns into a monster under GP..

I guess now we are expecting Vaughn to decommit and apparently we aren’t sad about it...I retract my intrigue

McFroggin

Had a UT buddy call me last night asking me, in awe, if I had heard of this Max Duggan kid?!? Told him I was familiar. He went on and on how he made top 10 in the Elite 11 or whatever that QB comp is, how accurate, how fast, and just how great that kid is going to be.

I asked him what UT QB recruits looking like and he said “well, that aren’t Max Duggan!”

I smiled, and said don’t sleep on Justin Rogers. Just to remind him that we have more than a few options next year! Should be fun!!

Duggan is hopefully the real deal. Sadly there is a fair chance that Rogers never plays. His injuries are legit.