• The KillerFrogs

Kyler Murray signs with A's, will QB Sooners this fall

Eight

This was conventional wisdom around the time of the MLB Draft but it’s not valid anymore. He has proven that he has NFL skills and in the modern game it’s clear his physical limitations are not deal breakers. If he was all in on football, he’d be drafted with the expectation that he’d become that franchise’s QB.

the number of 5'9" -10" franchise qb's in the nfl is?

BABYFACE

I really love FB, but if I could win the athletic lottery and turn back the clock, it would be as a MLB starting pitcher. Pitching is where it is at in a 5 man rotation, unless I could consistently crush at the plate being around a .300 hitter.

OK, time to wake up from that fantasy.

FBallFan123

Smart man takes the baseball money. Typically longer career in baseball and the opinion of some is that he has a higher ceiling in baseball. If that is truly the case, time to get the leather dirty.

Yeah, I think he should give baseball a real shot.

The baseball scouting opinion seems to be, if he can hit, he has a very high ceiling in the sport.

He has elite baseball speed and some power in his bat...that's a very intriguing combination for a centerfielder, one of the premium up-the-middle defensive positions.

Whether he can hit is a bit of a question, there's been limited scouting on him against elite competition, especially swinging a wood bat.

He's also never really dedicated himself fully and completely to just baseball.

There's reasons there for doubt, but also reasons to think he can improve if he only plays baseball.

There are risks...a lot of MLB prospects never make it to the majors.

But on the other hand, MLB careers generally last longer and take less of a toll on an athlete's body...so if he can make it to the MLB level, he could well earn more money over the course of a career in MLB.

Murray would be an undersized NFL QB....there are questions about how long can he last at the position, even with blazing speed.

But say he stalls out in the next 3-4 years in the minor leagues, would he have a chance to do what Drew Henson did and try the NFL?

Seems like he would have a better chance of doing that, going from minor league baseball to the NFL, than spending 3-4 years in the NFL and trying the reverse, delaying his baseball development for that long of a period of time and also absorbing the punishment on his body the NFL tends to dish out.

Last edited:

PO Frog

can you imagine the ramifications of an athlete competing in one sport as an amateur in college while simultaneously being paid and having access to the salaries, facilities, trainers, nutrition programs, equipment of a professional athlete in another sport?

If he is allowed to continue to play football after showing up for spring training and playing baseball under a binding and ongoing contract - it will open up a can of worms that will never be able to be closed again. If you are a major state school with big dollar donors - why don't you just get those guys to start professional dodge ball teams with rosters full of school athletes and pay them thousands or even millions, provide them all the support and benefits of a professional athlete, etc

It is one thing when a pro athlete that never went to college originally quits that sport and then goes to University- it is quite another to allow them to be an professional athlete at the same time as they are playing college sports.
Ricky Williams did it

Moose Stuff

I personally don't think he'd be a good NFL QB. As good as he is in college, it's just a completely different ballgame there, and I think the threat of him running is what makes everything else work. That largely goes away in the NFL. He has a decent arm but relative to other NFL players its very average. And this is going to sound really dumb so I'm fully aware of that, but I think the bigger NFL ball would be a problem for him given how tiny he is.

Incredible college QB though.

We disagree.

Moose Stuff

I really love FB, but if I could win the athletic lottery and turn back the clock, it would be as a MLB starting pitcher. Pitching is where it is at in a 5 man rotation, unless I could consistently crush at the plate being around a .300 hitter.

OK, time to wake up from that fantasy.

Someone asked me this question just the other day..... if you could be the best athlete in the world at any sport what would it be? I have zero hesitation in saying soccer.

Moose Stuff

Yeah, I think he should give baseball a real shot.

The baseball scouting opinion seems to be, if he can hit, he has a very high ceiling in the sport.

He has elite baseball speed and some power in his bat...that's a very intriguing combination for a centerfielder, one of the premium up-the-middle defensive positions.

Whether he can hit is a bit of a question, there's been limited scouting on him against elite competition, especially swinging a wood bat.

He's also never really dedicated himself fully and completely to just baseball.

There's reasons there for doubt, but also reasons to think he can improve if he only plays baseball.

There are risks...a lot of MLB prospects never make it to the majors.

But on the other hand, MLB careers generally last longer and take less of a toll on an athlete's body...so if he can make it to the MLB level, he could well earn more money over the course of a career in MLB.

Murray would be an undersized NFL QB....there are questions about how long can he last at the position, even with blazing speed.

But say he stalls out in the next 3-4 years in the minor leagues, would he have a chance to do what Drew Henson did and try the NFL?

Seems like he would have a better chance of doing that, going from minor league baseball to the NFL, than spending 3-4 years in the NFL and trying the reverse, delaying his baseball development for that long of a period of time and also absorbing the punishment on his body the NFL tends to dish out.

18 words into this you typed the magic word...... IF.

Eight

18 words into this you typed the magic word...... IF.

uncle calvin had a very short career for that very reason.

different day and age compared to when calvin played, but i am curious if the eyes envision a kenny loftin type lead off hitter (won't even drop the other name on him as quite possibly the greatest lead-off hitter ever)

Eight

Messi, Ronaldo, and Neymar are the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th highest paid athletes in the world. (Mayweather 1 and LeBron 4)

i would be very surprised if sebastian vettel and lewis hamilton aren't in that group especially with lewis' winning his 5th title and mercedes winning the constructors cup again.

Moose Stuff

uncle calvin had a very short career for that very reason.

different day and age compared to when calvin played, but i am curious if the eyes envision a kenny loftin type lead off hitter (won't even drop the other name on him as quite possibly the greatest lead-off hitter ever)

If you were REALLY dreaming on him that’s who you’d compare him to. It’s best to avoid those comps IMO.

Realtorfrog

I personally don't think he'd be a good NFL QB. As good as he is in college, it's just a completely different ballgame there, and I think the threat of him running is what makes everything else work. That largely goes away in the NFL. He has a decent arm but relative to other NFL players its very average. And this is going to sound really dumb so I'm fully aware of that, but I think the bigger NFL ball would be a problem for him given how tiny he is.

Incredible college QB though.

Exactly! Way too small for the NFL game. Around 5’8” will get you thrown around like a rag doll. Yes he’s quick but so are many NFL players. Stick with baseball and that’s not even a given.

netty2424

Either way, I would assume his time at Oklahoma is done.

Seems likely he's either going to play baseball or he's entering the NFL draft.

Either way, the result would be the same for TCU.

What Boras is saying today is in line with what Murray said last week...

Rhyner made a point today on The Ticket that Oakland needs a QB and the Raiders, thanks to Jerry Jones, have 3 first round draft picks. Why not take a shot? He could play in the same stadium.

Last edited: