• The KillerFrogs

We better not get screwed out of the Texas Bowl

Peacefrog

Degenerate
That is the biggest bunch of hogwash! CGP didn't veto Texas Bowl, frogs got what they got and that's picked last. Any tall tales otherwise are cover for getting picked last. There is no way TCU turns down Texas Bowl where they sell tickets and get butts in seat to go to Cheez It Bowl where no seats are sold and on a horrible day. It didn't happen.
Please provide proof that your account is true.

flyfishingfrog

That is the biggest bunch of hogwash! CGP didn't veto Texas Bowl, frogs got what they got and that's picked last. Any tall tales otherwise are cover for getting picked last. There is no way TCU turns down Texas Bowl where they sell tickets and get butts in seat to go to Cheez It Bowl where no seats are sold and on a horrible day. It didn't happen.
guessing you have no idea what you are talking about...

A lot of y’all are talking about ticket sales. I don’t think the tickets have much to do with anything. The payouts are what they are and corporate sponsors underwrite the game. The ticket revenue is negligible.

HoustonHornedFrog

And in addition, Houston is a major recruiting ground for all the Texas schools so there is no way that we pass a bowl game in Houston and hand that game to Baylor for a no-name game in Phoenix.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
And in addition, Houston is a major recruiting ground for all the Texas schools so there is no way that we pass a bowl game in Houston and hand that game to Baylor for a no-name game in Phoenix.
I can’t believe Baylor didn’t take over recruiting the state of Florida after winning a bowl game there a few years ago. You are all making too much of this.

The game is after most recruits sign. 2020 recruits aren’t going to be wowed by a Texas Bowl practice. Good lord.

Where is proof CGP did veto on Texas Bowl? Common sense would say it's far more likely TCU got picked last and veto talk is an excuse to make fans feel better about last pick. Texas Bowl brings fans and added state exposure. Cheez It Bowl brings nothing.

MTfrog5

Where is proof CGP did veto on Texas Bowl? Common sense would say it's far more likely TCU got picked last and veto talk is an excuse to make fans feel better about last pick. Texas Bowl brings fans and added state exposure. Cheez It Bowl brings nothing.
Veto or not I’m glad we aren’t playing Vandy in Houston. There might be 35k at that game

Ron Swanson

Maybe Gary wanted a vacation to a state that most of the players have never been to? He looked it as a reward for their hard work

I don’t know

Or maybe he didn’t push for the Cheezit Bowl and we really did get passed over? I don’t know, you don’t know.

LeagueCityFrog

Last reply and I'm out. This whole thing is a business. A business about winning and a business about money. On this one, if the rumor on the earlier post is true, the name of this bowl game is a better chance to win. I would argue though that this TCU defense and The Muehl and Reagor could have beaten 6-6 Vanderbilt in Houston in a virtual home game for us Purple Fans. We will never know. What we do know is that there is a very good chance now that TCU athletics will not sell their bowl ticket allotment plus the cost of going to Phoenix. In the current marketplace a win over an SEC team is worth more than a Pac-12 team. I'll be home with a bunch of other Frogs cheering TCU on from my living room. Go Frogs.

Tom Brown

One side of this argument thinks it's purely a schoolyard draft for bowl games, the other thinks the schools sell themselves to bowls like hookers.

Relating RPI
oSu>Tcu>Baylor and Mizzou>Cal>Vandy
Osu vs mizzou A vs A
Tcu vs Cal B vs B
Bay vs Vandy C vs C
These give you 3 competitive games, in theory

Cal fans are more likely to go to Az
Bay fans are more likely to go to houston than other states cuz of their horrid travel history
Mizzou and osu are the more likely fanbases to travel
Tcu has is the smallest and had the most disappointing of the seasons, even though we beat osu and bay.

Wexahu

Last reply and I'm out. This whole thing is a business. A business about winning and a business about money. On this one, if the rumor on the earlier post is true, the name of this bowl game is a better chance to win. I would argue though that this TCU defense and The Muehl and Reagor could have beaten 6-6 Vanderbilt in Houston in a virtual home game for us Purple Fans. We will never know. What we do know is that there is a very good chance now that TCU athletics will not sell their bowl ticket allotment plus the cost of going to Phoenix. In the current marketplace a win over an SEC team is worth more than a Pac-12 team. I'll be home with a bunch of other Frogs cheering TCU on from my living room. Go Frogs.

This entire argument is pretty dumb, but I don’t think beating Vandy would impress anyone as they are generally considered the doormat of their league. To say that win would be worth more than a win over about any run of the mill bowl team is pretty asinine IMO.

There wasn’t going be any program altering impact from either of these bowl games, no matter which one we play in and no matter what the result is. It’s a nice little trip to end the season for the team. Play as well as you can, come home, and start getting ready for next year. That’s it.

Wexahu

I’ll never be able to eat Cheez-its (not sure I’ve ever had a Cheez-it) or even look at a box of Cheez-its without thinking about this game.

I guess that’s why they spend the big bucks to sponsor these games.