• The KillerFrogs

‘Big XII depth’ - we don’t have it

Pharm Frog

For those posters that say GP is not an accomplished “closer”, this matches what I was told by more than one former coach. However, it’s also true that this is one reason why he’s still OUR coach and not coaching elsewhere.

Eight

Is it that Coach GP isn’t a great closer or that the boosters for other teams offering cash make this an unfair sales job?

why is it hard for some to accept that patterson might have some flaws.

pharm's track record on this type of thing is more than solid and it fits with the things i have heard from some high school coaches.

i really can't recall many hc's who are tactically above average, are above average in running a program, and are above average closers

why is it hard for some to accept that patterson might have some flaws.

pharm's track record on this type of thing is more than solid and it fits with the things i have heard from some high school coaches.

i really can't recall many hc's who are tactically above average, are above average in running a program, and are above average closers

I agree that we haven’t closed the deals for example Daylon Mack, browning, chase etc. I just feel that there are some shady things going on with SEC and other teams cheating. Doesn’t mean Gary is perfect, but USC can close five stars we should too. Especially with defensive players. We just haven’t close one five star yet!

Eight

you are comparing the rep of one of the greatest college programs on the west coast, one with multiple national titles, plays in one of the most famous rivalries in college football history, one with multiple aa's and nfl players, pro-bowlers and hof's with tcu under patterson and you don't understand why tcu can't close like usc?

TX_Krötenechse

I agree with Moose about being able to get UT like recruiting. But I agree with TCUball3, TCU can do better and have closers. TCU should be able to, at least, hold onto it's top commits without others pouching. In my opinion TCU allows it's top commits to be pouched at a higher % than a Okie State, a West Virginia, etc. That's got to stop and they can get closers to lower the % and help TCU keep most of their commits.

On a side note while we are complaining about recruiting. TCU has got to get better with recruits photo shots. UT and A&M crush TCU and maybe should build a photo room like UT with lights and all. They rock it compared to TCU.
Citation needed

you are comparing the rep of one of the greatest college programs on the west coast, one with multiple national titles, plays in one of the most famous rivalries in college football history, one with multiple aa's and nfl players, pro-bowlers and hof's with tcu under patterson and you don't understand why tcu can't close like usc?

USC went to suck town for years until Pete Carroll and he got caught. They aren’t that good since a Pete left either, but they get buckets of five star talent.

FrogLifeYo

If we want depth and the ability to really have a chance we need to average under #15 with at least one top-10 recruiting class every 4 years. The highest rated class (247) is #21. That ain't gonna get you into the playoffs with any regularity. Enough of the recruiting rankings don't mean much. We do offer a lot of 4-5* players who become all americans at their schools...we do offer them...they just go elsewhere. That is the first 3 reasons this is a bad year
  1. Recruiting
  2. recruiting
  3. recruiting
We have our three or four 4* battling 10-15 4*-5* when we play Texas or OU. We are bring knives to a gun fight.

Nobody around here wants to believe this but it’s true...It’s a real testament to GP that we’ve even sniffed playoff conversation given our talent level. There’s a reason that the same 8-10 teams contend every year and it’s not because they just “coach them up”..It’s because the talent they are coaching up has a very high ceiling..If more people around here would accept this as true, they would enjoy that lightning in a bottle that comes are way every 3-4 years.

The ground around our football program is much softer than many will admit. The built in advantages the blue bloods have are a reality. Unfortunately GP and his brilliance is not going to be around much longer hold the dirt together

Diehard

This is spot on. For those who were not around to see what this program was in the 70' and 80's and what we had to live through, too bad! It might change your perspective. That said, times have changed and more is expected. Just my two cents.

MinFrog

I think it is pretty clear that GP wants/will only attract a certain type of a player. He wants guys like him with a chip on his shoulder. When he reaches and takes a guy with a questionable background, it has come back to bite him (Ladarious Brown, Carter, Fields, etc.). I think as long as GP is here, and assuming he doesn't fire his buddies and get some younger guys who can recruit, we will sign classes that are ranked 20-40 each year. Now maybe he gets lucky with two consecutive classes, like he did with the Rose Bowl team, but for the most part we will be an 8-11 win team each year.

Hopefully he can get lucky in the next class or two and have a shot at the playoff before he rides off in the sunset, but until then, we are what we are - which isn't a bad thing.

gdu

Depth is A problem, but IMO is not the (biggest) problem for this team. That would be turnovers. If we had a 0 or + turnover margin this team would only have 1 or 2 losses and would be favored in every game except one through the end of the regular season.

Depth is A problem, but IMO is not the (biggest) problem for this team. That would be turnovers. If we had a 0 or + turnover margin this team would only have 1 or 2 losses and would be favored in every game except one through the end of the regular season.

Better talent doesn’t turn the ball over.

Wexahu

Depth is A problem, but IMO is not the (biggest) problem for this team..

Agree on this part. Talent aside, we just aren't playing good football. We are used to seeing football played a certain way.....disciplined, aggressive and with a confident swagger, and for the most part it's been missing this year. We almost always look like the better coached team and this year is an exception to that as well.

Eight

Agree on this part. Talent aside, we just aren't playing good football. We are used to seeing football played a certain way.....disciplined, aggressive and with a confident swagger, and for the most part it's been missing this year. We almost always look like the better coached team and this year is an exception to that as well.

i agree except that there have been some issues that have continued to pop up the past few years not just this year.

offensively dropped passes is an example of a problem that has been present for a few years. defensively i would say tackling has been poor for few years

Wexahu

i agree except that there have been some issues that have continued to pop up the past few years not just this year.

offensively dropped passes is an example of a problem that has been present for a few years. defensively i would say tackling has been poor for few years

That's all at least part of coaching. Those are issues the coaching staff should be expected to fix, especially for the $ they are making. A poor tackling defense is a poorly coached defense IMO.

FrogLifeYo

This has been the most concerning to me. We have needed a Herculean/genius head coach to get us to where we are. I sorta of feel almost the entire rest of the staff is sub par...What happens when he hangs it up... There isn’t another exceptional football mind waiting in the wings...

Eight

That's all at least part of coaching. Those are issues the coaching staff should be expected to fix, especially for the $ they are making. A poor tackling defense is a poorly coached defense IMO.

agree 100% as well as dropped passes, running with the ball in the wrong arm, poor routes, and poor footwork

go back and watch the game tcu played in 2012 against ou and then watch the game last week and tell me those two tcu teams were doing the little things such as blocking, tackling, etc.. .the same

Eight

This has been the most concerning to me. We have needed a Herculean/genius head coach to get us to where we are. I sorta of feel almost the entire rest of the staff is sub par...What happens when he hangs it up... There isn’t another exceptional football mind waiting in the wings...

let me offer this and it might be something people don't want to consider.

maybe when the change takes place certain things will get addressed that won't require one coach to carry the load.

maybe that one coach shouldn't try to carry the load himself. i suggest reading the book landry's boys especially the parts by former players about the decline of the cowboys at the end of tom's time in dallas

Last edited: