• The KillerFrogs

TCU vs Ohio St. Prediction Threads

Chongo94

The problem is that DFW is full of everyone that graduates from UT, Aggy, tech, OU (those schools combined probably outnumber TCU 20 to 1 in new graduates each year) etc., so there's no real opportunity to add those fans to the TCU base. And there's too much going on in FW for it to ever be a college town. That leaves us with alumni that stay in state and converts that move into town but have no allegiance to conference foes. We are a small private school with a relatively small fan base and that's all we will ever be. We can take pride in percentages though, like "50% of our living alumni show up for every game" type stats.

Our fanbase must be growing in Cali though given all the students coming from there the past five years or so at the least.

cdsfrog

The problem is that DFW is full of everyone that graduates from UT, Aggy, tech, OU (those schools combined probably outnumber TCU 20 to 1 in new graduates each year) etc., so there's no real opportunity to add those fans to the TCU base. And there's too much going on in FW for it to ever be a college town. That leaves us with alumni that stay in state and converts that move into town but have no allegiance to conference foes. We are a small private school with a relatively small fan base and that's all we will ever be. We can take pride in percentages though, like "50% of our living alumni show up for every game" type stats.

I would say there is too much to generate dedicated TCU fans. Let me clarify, I know several OU/Texas/ and other school fans who live in Fort Worth and actually cheer for TCU except if their team plays them. These fans are ones that often never come to the crap games, and frankly are nothing like the hardcore state school fans that have nothing else to root for.

TooColdU

I always tell people that, sorting by total enrollment, we are the 2nd smallest P5 school, right after Wake Forest.

Last edited:

Horny4TCU

My hotel is in Irving
Irving has a huge Indian population. If you are interested in Indian food, I have some great recommendations. Your drive to the stadium will be just as bad as all of ours, but you're really close to DFW airport, if that is what you are shooting for.

Justvisiting

Irving has a huge Indian population. If you are interested in Indian food, I have some great recommendations. Your drive to the stadium will be just as bad as all of ours, but you're really close to DFW airport, if that is what you are shooting for.

Yeah my wife set all this up for me as a birthday present. I think that was her thinking....hotel and car rental right near the airport.

Horny4TCU

Yeah my wife set all this up for me as a birthday present. I think that was her thinking....hotel and car rental right near the airport.
Irving is meh, but pretty central for the Metroplex. You can head to Fort Worth and see downtown, the 7th street area, stockyards, Magnolia area, the Museum area all in a day. Then Dallas has a bunch of nice things, as well. Their skyline is legit at night, but other than that I stay away from Dallas, unless I have to go... not because the city isn't nice, but dislike for all things Dallas.

Justvisiting

Irving is meh, but pretty central for the Metroplex. You can head to Fort Worth and see downtown, the 7th street area, stockyards, Magnolia area, the Museum area all in a day. Then Dallas has a bunch of nice things, as well. Their skyline is legit at night, but other than that I stay away from Dallas, unless I have to go... not because the city isn't nice, but dislike for all things Dallas.

I'm a big history buff so I'm hoping to visit the 6th floor museum, but I'm wondering if it will be worth the headache.

Chongo94

My hotel is in Irving

I'm a big history buff so I'm hoping to visit the 6th floor museum, but I'm wondering if it will be worth the headache.

Horny pretty much nailed Irving.
Per the museum, you shouldn’t have too much of an issue on a Saturday morning I’d think (assuming that’s the time you were thinking of)...just watch out for the people trying to take pictures on the spot in the road. Every so often one of them gets run over trying to do so.

There are a ton of restaurants near the Death Star so you can hit them before the game if you wish and avoid a little of the traffic. Most are all chains though and wouldn’t give you a local feel and flavor.

Also, Dallas is a nice city but fake as all get out. Hell, there’s a growing slogan called Keep Dallas Pretentious. They try to pass it off as a joke but it’s not.

Horny4TCU

I've driven over the X over a dozen times, but have never gone over to the museum. If you're a big history buff, I'd go.

I would also check out the Perot Museum. They did a really good job with it, for a science and history museum.

Not sure if you have kiddos come with you... And the Cleveland Zoo is amazing, but if you want to see another good one the Fort Worth Zoo is pretty great.

Justvisiting

I've driven over the X over a dozen times, but have never gone over to the museum. If you're a big history buff, I'd go.

I would also check out the Perot Museum. They did a really good job with it, for a science and history museum.

Not sure if you have kiddos come with you... And the Cleveland Zoo is amazing, but if you want to see another good one the Fort Worth Zoo is pretty great.

Awesome recommendations guys! Truly appreciate it. I do have 2 little ones, but I'm making the trip solo this time. I actually live in Michigan now (transferred from Ohio for my job), but next time I'm up that way, I'll definitely bring the wife and kids to do some exploring of the area

Horny4TCU

Awesome recommendations guys! Truly appreciate it. I do have 2 little ones, but I'm making the trip solo this time. I actually live in Michigan now (transferred from Ohio for my job), but next time I'm up that way, I'll definitely bring the wife and kids to do some exploring of the area
Well going solo and keeping up with my handle... Baby Dolls and Bucks Cabaret are pretty good. And there is a Rick's Cabaret right next to you in Irving if you are heading towards 183.

Justvisiting

Well going solo and keeping up with my handle... Baby Dolls and Bucks Cabaret are pretty good. And there is a Rick's Cabaret right next to you in Irving if you are heading towards 183.
You might even be supporting some SMU coeds at Baby Dolls...

At least something good came out of SMU lol. You guys (TCU fans) are pretty damn cool. I might stick around and shoot the [ Finebaum ] with you guys after this game is over. Best of luck to the Horned Frogs this season...except for this Saturday of course lol

MTfrog5

I’m expecting 60-40 OSU fans and I’d be thrilled anything closer to 50-50. I think a lot of TCU fans will be buying tickets this week though as ticket prices continue to drop. I’m hoping it’s a better showing than the Big 12 Title game last year

Frog-in-law1995

Just checking back into this thread after a while. I would be moderately surprised if red doesn’t outnumber purple at the game on Saturday. Maybe 60/40. As for stuff to do, I also have driven over the “x” (an actual “x” painted onto Elm street where Kennedy was when shot) many times without ever visiting the museum. Probably worth a stop. Uptown Dallas nearby has great bars and restaurants. As much as don’t care to visit Dallas, it’s better than the Irving/Grand Prairie/Euless/east Arlington area near the airport. Basically the DMZ of the metroplex. Grapevine/Southlake along the north end of the airport is a great area for stuff to do and places to eat. Might look there, too.

WANG

I don't even live in Ohio jackass lol. I could come on here and regurgitate a bunch of ignorant stereotypes about Texans, but I'd prefer to talk about a football game. You have no rebuttal so you make assumptions that I'm some poor dumb hillbilly. In fact, I'm a college educated father of 2 with a good job and a happy life. I didn't attack anyone....in fact, I stated that I've always respected the TCU football program.

Dude, I, like you, am visiting as an Ohio State fan.

You HAD to know there was going to be some talk about Meyer. You chose, foolishly, to take the bait and engage, and now are getting ripped. Just let it go. There are plenty of folks who will talk to you about football on here, engage them, ignore the rest, it's not that hard. I've done it the entire time.

cdsfrog

If I was in that area right now I would want to go to Glorias. Damn good food.

For the record I found one place in all of Europe that has decent tex mex......in Estonia (Tallinn)

Texas Honky Tonk & Cantina- Estonian guy runs that goes to Texas a couple times every year.