• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU hitting coach Bill Mosiello strong candidate for Rice job

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

TCU hitting coach Bill Mosiello strong candidate for Rice job

BY STEFAN STEVENSON
sstevenson@star-telegram.com

TCU baseball's associate head coach Bill Mosiello is a top candidate for the head job at Rice.

TCU coach Jim Schlossnagle lauded Mosiello's expertise in an interview with Houston broadcaster Mark Berman of KRIV Fox 26.

"Quite simply, and I mean this wholeheartedly, Bill Mosiello is the best pure baseball person I've ever been around in 28 years of coaching," Schlossnagle said. "He's a phenomenal teacher."

Read more at http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article213125204.html

HFrog12

Rice: "Mr. Saarloos we would love for you to come down to Houston and be the next head coach for our outstanding program."
Saarloos: "Nah I am actually pretty good here at TCU, need a CWS in purple. Thanks though."
Rice: "Well [ Finebaum ], who else do they have over there?"
Rice: "Mr. Mosiello would YOU like to become our next head coach?"
Mosiello: "Sounds like a pretty good deal. I'll get back to you."
Rice: "Crap if Mosiello falls through we need to be ready to make a strong push for their Volunteer Assistant. Just anyone from that juggernaut will do."

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Rice: "Mr. Saarloos we would love for you to come down to Houston and be the next head coach for our outstanding program."
Saarloos: "Nah I am actually pretty good here at TCU, need a CWS in purple. Thanks though."
Rice: "Well [ steaming pile of Orgeron ], who else do they have over there?"
Rice: "Mr. Mosiello would YOU like to become our next head coach?"
Mosiello: "Sounds like a pretty good deal. I'll get back to you."
Rice: "Crap if Mosiello falls through we need to be ready to make a strong push for their Volunteer Assistant. Just anyone from that juggernaut will do."
We aren’t a juggernaut. That’s Mississippi State.

flyfishingfrog

What happened to Lance Berkman's candidacy for this gig?
I think he is one of several candidates they are looking at with no clear front runner known publicly.

Berkman has a number of positives but also some pretty large questions given that he has never coached at D1 in any role, has possibly shown a lack of interest in the dedication required to be an HC in D1, has complained about the academic standards required for entry into Rice even for athletes, etc.

But his name, his role as a player at Rice, his friends that a lot of people seem to think he would bring with him as assistants, and his pro playing experience are all big positives.

I think in a perfect world they might have hired him a few years ago as an assistant and trained him up - but my understanding is the old man really didn't care for Lance much the last few years so that wasn't going to happen.

I think Mo's biggest issues might be that while he managed in the minors, he has never been the skipper at a D1 program and his age means that the school is probably going to be doing this again in the next 10 years or so. But Mo knows baseball like few around today.

Last edited: