• The KillerFrogs

Official World Cup 2018 Thread...

Didn't see this up yet and with it starting in 7 days, figured now is as good a time as any to create one. Those of you who have zero use for the sport, please don't post in this thread. We get it, you don't like it...we don't care, move on.
So, below are the groups, schedule, and some useful links. Sucks that the USA didn't make it and that Russia is hosting but looking forward to it nonetheless.

113+days+until+fifa+world+cup+2018+in+russia+who_3a818b_6524041.jpg

2018worldcupschedule.gif
If US is not in this WHO CARES? Geez,local "academy" teams steal high school players and tell them they can't play for their high schools and now can't even make the World Cup tournament. Uh, yes, that really worked.

I do enjoy watching soccer but live.

It's like hockey to me, could get boring on TV but great to watch in person

I have been to a couple FC Dallas games and they are fun! Last week we may have been leading our division.

The USA really needs to invest more into soccer, from the grassroots. I know there are a lot of kids that play, you can pass by parks on a Saturday or Sunday and they are usually packed with families watching they kids play soccer. There is just no incentive to follow through with it through college and the pros in north america. The best soccer is played in Europe.
The reason is the best athletes in Europe play soccer. The US's problem is the best athletes in this country play basketball, football and baseball. Until this changes - and we all know it never will - USA soccer gets the lesser athletes (I know there are some exceptions but you get my point).

What the hell dude? We get it, you hate soccer. Kick rocks.
so all of a sudden the level of athlete put on the field by the us was not good enough to qualify for the world cup even though it had been good enough for several years?
You tell me. Apparently, the "academy plan" of stealing top high school soccer players and making them play exclusively for their academy team did not work this time. Explain that soccerhead.

Eight

what the hell are you talking about?

the problems with us soccer extend far beyond whether high school talent played in academies or for their high school teams and this is not a new problem

i believe it wasn't until the 80's in texas would the uil allow a soccer player to play for their high school if they played club soccer

Last edited:

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
The best athletes in America may well indeed play football or basketball or baseball...

But we also have like five times the population (or more) of damn near every European nation. So we should have more elite athletes, in theory, to spread around.

Last edited:

Chongo94

Apparently only 10 US cities will host games in 2026. MetLife stadium seems to have the initial tongue wagging for the final.

what the hell are you talking about?

the problems with us soccer extend far beyond whether high school talent played in academies or for their high school teams and this is not a new problem

i believe it wasn't until the 80's in texas would the uil allow a soccer player to play for their high school if they played club soccer
Regardless, the best athletes in our country play basketball, football and baseball and that will never change so soccer gets for the most part the lesser part of athletes, although these US soccer players are darn good athletes, just not the upper-crust in most cases. Can you image if LeBron James, Michael Jordan, Walter Payton, Ronnie Lott, Roger Staubach, Ozzie Smith, Kevin Durant had played soccer? Or anyone of that caliber. I rest my case and it is EMBARRASSING the US failed to qualify for World Cup. That and high school (non club) soccer is the only soccer I like.