• The KillerFrogs

The Beverly Review: Alek Thomas picks D-Backs over TCU

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Alek Thomas picks D-Backs over college
  • by Tim O’Brien
Growing up around the Chicago White Sox where his dad, Allen, is the team’s strength and conditioning coach, Alek Thomas has known for years what he wants to be: a pro baseball player.

The recent Mt. Carmel graduate remembers when he first set his sights on the MLB, and recently he took another step toward his dream when he was drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks on May 4 as the 63rd pick in the MLB Draft.

“I love that feeling with baseball that you get to go out there every day and play,” Thomas said. “In eighth grade, I went to spring training in Arizona with my dad, and I realized it. You get to play the game, and then you start up again the next day.”

Read more at http://www.beverlyreview.net/sports/article_ac6ada5e-6e5c-11e8-be25-9f11c6394579.html

flyfishingfrog

With the MLB raiding recruits, why even recruit anymore?
I am not sure if that is really the question or if it’s more why do we spend cycles recruting this kid and ones like him?

He was projected high to start, actually went lower than forecasts and still went pro just like almost everyone involved said he would.

Given his family history, the slot money at the levels anywhere near where he was projected and the fact that getting guys like Lodolo to campus is a 1 in a more than 1000 result - I would hope we don’t build our recruting class assuming this type of kid will make campus.

it seems like our classes turn out better when we fill our holes via recruting with guys projected after the first two rounds and get them to show up vs this year and last where we went for the HR but most of the guys we really needed have taken the money instead

Raw Frog

I have said it before, but it would be most interesting to hear Schloss talk about recruiting at a luncheon or somewhere "off the record" to learn how he approaches it, and what changes he needs to make.

MCFROG III

We should just open it up to walkons and make them earn a scholly.

That would be a tremendous chunk of change those walk-ons would have to drop before they step on the campus/diamond. Even with the current disadvantage we have as a private school with the $15K scholly cap, adding that much more to everyone & make them earn the (partial) scholly might not turn out terribly beneficial for our program in either the short or long run.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Are there any other NCAA sports where the entire team, or at least 1st and 2nd string, is not given a full scholarship? Clearly not any major ones. This is patently unfair to kids who want to play baseball. Plus, if we could offer full rides we could have a larger recruiting pool and maybe a dozen kids who are almost as good as Alek ready to come here.

Frog-in-law1995

That would be a tremendous chunk of change those walk-ons would have to drop before they step on the campus/diamond. Even with the current disadvantage we have as a private school with the $15K scholly cap, adding that much more to everyone & make them earn the (partial) scholly might not turn out terribly beneficial for our program in either the short or long run.

Huh?

WhatTheFrog

I have said it before, but it would be most interesting to hear Schloss talk about recruiting at a luncheon or somewhere "off the record" to learn how he approaches it, and what changes he needs to make.
You didn't watch the podcast with Schloss, did you? He addressed that.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
We can’t. Because people like Muck sneak in the back hoping to get tidbits for a hit piece.

MCFROG III

It's been said (on here) that baseball scholarships are limited to a max of $15k by the NCAA or whatever governing body that sets the rules. That hurts private schools in that the families of the recruits have to come up with tens of thousands of dollars to cover the cost of remainer of the tuition/etc. at a place like TCU, Stanford, Vandy vs much less at a state school. That would kill it for great athletes families of low to modest incomes who can't come up with the $30-$50K/yr difference which gives public universities a tremendous advantage in baseball recruiting. I'm not an expert, but that's how it was discussed on here over the last few months.

Wexahu

College football has its championship process extremely darned up and college baseball has its scholarship and recruiting process really darned up.

It’s a shame competent humans can’t come in and make some much needed changes.

Maybe so, but the result is BY FAR the best regular season in sports. I'm not saying what exists now can't be improved upon, but it's way the hell better than some of the alternatives that have been thrown around.

Eight

It's been said (on here) that baseball scholarships are limited to a max of $15k by the NCAA or whatever governing body that sets the rules. That hurts private schools in that the families of the recruits have to come up with tens of thousands of dollars to cover the cost of remainer of the tuition/etc. at a place like TCU, Stanford, Vandy vs much less at a state school. That would kill it for great athletes families of low to modest incomes who can't come up with the $30-$50K/yr difference which gives public universities a tremendous advantage in baseball recruiting. I'm not an expert, but that's how it was discussed on here over the last few months.

schloss made an inference that he would be in favor of scholarships being allocated as full or partial tuition and letting room and board being left out of the equation. i am sure there is some math behind all of this and it being another classic example of someone making the rules far, far more cumbersome than needed

Frog-in-law1995

Teams are limited to 11.7 full scholarships but are not restricted by a dollar amount.

SnoSki

asking someone who has an extended history of complaining about a variety of topics (i.e. westside of stadium, priority points etc...) if there is anything they feel good about is an attack?

huh, good to know.

I mean it was pretty clear that the intention of your post was to mock the guy, regardless of the fair point he made. So yeah, I guess I would consider that an attack. Just my opinion.