• The KillerFrogs

Official World Cup 2018 Thread...

Tom Brown

From what I’ve read, that won’t be decided until next year. Messico obviously doesn’t need it, would probably be the only way Canada makes it. Hopefully US Soccer gets their stuff together by then.

Don't forget that Mexico almost didn't make a prior cup, but we helped them back their way in. I am disappointed that we are not in this cup, but USMNT just like CR and Mex, is up and down, and definitively below the top tier of World cup contenders.

Chongo94

So Spain just fired their manager, two days before their first match (CR7 and Portugal). Reason being given is he negotiated with Madrid behind the FA's back, and Madrid informed the FA president five minutes before they announced the hire.

Yeah, Madrid acted like arrogant [ Arschloch]s (shocking), but a tournament favorite firing their manager on the eve of the tournament seems odd. Apparently, both Ramos and Iniesta (representing the Madrid and Barca camps) pleaded for Lopetegui to stay on. Will be interesting to see how this affects Spain; could torpedo the campaign, or serve as a rallying point, for a side absolutely loaded with talent.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...opetegui-sacked-spain-manager-real-madrid-job

I feel like Spain is overreacting here. I mean there have been many other managers who had agreements in place to coach a club team following the WC. And if no one knew about the meetings or whatever, how did it disrupt WC plans? And the players wanted him to stay. Just don’t understand why they felt necessary to bring the hammer.

Purp

I don’t get it.

And for the record I looked at the brackets for the first time just now so don’t say that I don’t follow soccer.
Host countries automatically qualify for World Cups. It hasn't been officially determined yet whether or not each of the 3 host nations will get autobids this time around, but when South Korea and Japan co-hosted they both got autobids in 2002. Since the field is ballooning from 32 to 48 in 2026 I assume all three host nations will get autobids.

This joke is funny b/c we didn't qualify for Russia even though we should be able to with our B team.

Purp

From what I’ve read, that won’t be decided until next year. Messico obviously doesn’t need it, would probably be the only way Canada makes it. Hopefully US Soccer gets their stuff together by then.
Mexico barely qualified for the last WC in Brazil. CONCACAF has definitely improved, but the U.S. and Mexico should never be in a position to not qualify based on talent alone. They were in real bad shape 5 years ago and turned it around quickly. We should be able to also.

Edit: Looks like Tom was all over it.

Purp

Agreed, that’s why I thought it would go to Morocco. Thought they’d see all the stadium and infrastructure projects for Morocco and their eyes would blink corrupted money signs.
New voting process reduces the corruption potential. Instead of a small panel at FIFA making the host nation decisions it's the 200 or so federation presidents voting democratically. I'm sure there is still plenty of corruption going on in that process, but it's a lot more hands to grease to wield the same amount of influence.

Purp

It's already been supposed, but there will not be any WC game played on an artificial surface. Even in Canada they pring in natural grass on top of artificial surfaces for FIFA events. Canada hosted the U-17 (maybe it was U-20s) WC about a decade ago and I recall them putting grass pitches in for that. Freddy Adu was one of the U.S. juniors in that squad.

Chongo94

I don’t see two South American teams in a non North/South American location.

Argentina apparently shipped in something like 3 tons of food.

Been interested to see how traveling to and within Russia will affect teams. Also been interested to see if they’re using Russian planes/airlines to travel or if they chartered private given all the crashes that seem to happen there (or at least that I see on the news)...

tcujsauce

Brazil/Argentina final. France and Germany in the semis.

^^ My son is a Messi fan, so I picked them over Germany. Obviously, that’s a dumb thing to do.

tenor.gif