• The KillerFrogs

Official World Cup 2018 Thread...

Chongo94

Which one is the group of death this go round?

I don’t know and I haven’t heard many comments about it this time around either. If you look at those groups, it’s hard to pick one. There seems to be a fairly clear winner of each one with a fairly clear choice for second as well.

Group D I guess could get the nod but I don’t think Nigeria is really all that. Maybe the Poland group but only because I feel like those teams are evenly matched but they certainly don’t scare a power team I would think.

Purp

If this is soccer humour it is over my head.
It is. CONCACAF is the region the US plays in. The hexagonal is the final stage of regional WC qualifying. We couldn't finish as one of the top 4 teams in that group of 6, which is why we aren't currently in Russia.

Calling our hexagonal the "group of death" is a joke bc the only world class federation in our region other than us is Mexico. Costa Rica is getting there, though. Either way, we should be able to qualify out of our region with our eyes closed and we didn't this time. Honduras advanced to a playoff and Panama qualified for the first time ever. Meanwhile, we went to the golf course in Trindad & darnin Tobago.

I'm going to go evacuate my chow now.

Limey Frog

Needless to say, I'm as excited as ever, and I'm certain that a very talented young England squad will be crapping the bed after showing just enough signs of life to revive my long-dead hope for national glory. My excitement for the tournament is sufficient to have led me to skim this thread. What did I get? A huge picture of a Germany jersey, some people griping as though its still the early 1990s and enjoying soccer is roughly equivalent to wiping your rear end on Old Glory while strangling a Bald Eagle chick, and a picture of Christiano Ronaldo basically naked. Thanks, y'all.

Purp

Needless to say, I'm as excited as ever, and I'm certain that a very talented young England squad will be crapping the bed after showing just enough signs of life to revive my long-dead hope for national glory. My excitement for the tournament is sufficient to have led me to skim this thread. What did I get? A huge picture of a Germany jersey, some people griping as though its still the early 1990s and enjoying soccer is roughly equivalent to wiping your rear end on Old Glory while strangling a Bald Eagle chick, and a picture of Christiano Ronaldo basically naked. Thanks, y'all.
Maybe you should add an image for the three lions. They'll have my support.

Chongo94

chongo,

i don't agree with your thought it sucks that the usa did not make it, but in my mind what sucked is the why's to them not making it.

my biggest fear is things won't truly change in the systems and instead of working to make sure they just qualify in a bracket they should easily quality if , but work to build something that might be a bit competitive on a true international level.

I completely agree. I meant more to it sucking in regards to it always being nice to see the USA competing in international competitions.

I think, as you and also Purp and Moose have alluded to, we should have qualified, we need changes, and hopefully this new infusion of youth will lead the way. They announced Earnie Stewart as general manager and I think that’s a good thing depending on what powers he is given...

But I totally agree, changes must be made and I am somewhat fearful as well that they may not make them. The USSF has never been known for making the best decisions.

Purp

How about this feast for the eyes from today's final warmup match?

And this Jersey?
6c1qg3

Wow. Hell of a crack. Clean kits too. I dig.

Purp

Hopefully the departure of Sunil Gulati will change that decision making deficiency.

Yes @TCURiggs I made that up.
I completely agree. I meant more to it sucking in regards to it always being nice to see the USA competing in international competitions.

I think, as you and also Purp and Moose have alluded to, we should have qualified, we need changes, and hopefully this new infusion of youth will lead the way. They announced Earnie Stewart as general manager and I think that’s a good thing depending on what powers he is given...

But I totally agree, changes must be made and I am somewhat fearful as well that they may not make them. The USSF has never been known for making the best decisions.

Chongo94

we need to stop worrying about what is best for mls and the protection of the domestic game is the same protect the home territory red herring we hear about in football recruiting

still concerned about the lack of developing play makers in the mid -field, don't think the us has ever really developed a style of play and this is one reason they struggle so much. tired multiple formations and multiple styles of plays that force players into no win situations.

You know what’s interesting is that MLS has actually helped all the other nations of CONCACAF, minus Mexico. I mean if not for a late late Zuzi goal 4 years ago, Panama would be going to back to back World Cups. The coaches don’t seem to play youngsters as much but hopefully that is finally changing this year. MLS is supposedly starting to push them to try to integrate more youth into their teams.

I agree although I will say when Pulisic has played in the middle he has looked extremely promising. Really hope he continues to develop. Plus, Weston McKennie is a week in week out starter now.

I honestly think this bunch of youngsters coming through truly has more promise than any we’ve ever seen.

Purp

You know what’s interesting is that MLS has actually helped all the other nations of CONCACAF, minus Mexico. I mean if not for a late late Zuzi goal 4 years ago, Panama would be going to back to back World Cups. The coaches don’t seem to play youngsters as much but hopefully that is finally changing this year. MLS is supposedly starting to push them to try to integrate more youth into their teams.

I agree although I will say when Pulisic has played in the middle he has looked extremely promising. Really hope he continues to develop. Plus, Weston McKennie is a week in week out starter now.

I honestly think this bunch of youngsters coming through truly has more promise than any we’ve ever seen.
Pulisic is terrific. Though he be but little, he is fierce. If he can stay healthy he's going to be great for a long time.

In the past we've had promising young guys like that, but not as many as we have now. I too am excited to see how the young guys develop together.

Tom Brown

It is. CONCACAF is the region the US plays in. The hexagonal is the final stage of regional WC qualifying. We couldn't finish as one of the top 4 teams in that group of 6, which is why we aren't currently in Russia.

Calling our hexagonal the "group of death" is a joke bc the only world class federation in our region other than us is Mexico. Costa Rica is getting there, though. Either way, we should be able to qualify out of our region with our eyes closed and we didn't this time. Honduras advanced to a playoff and Panama qualified for the first time ever. Meanwhile, we went to the golf course in Trindad & darnin Tobago.

I'm going to go evacuate my chow now.

Costa Rica is equal to Mex internationally if you ask me

Chongo94

I had zero idea the US has a youth movement going on in soccer currently

Based on potential, definitely...we’ll see if they fulfill that potential. There sure are some exciting players coming up, like legit hopefuls for once, not like Graham Zuzi and Sacha Kljestan type players.

MTfrog5

Based on potential, definitely...we’ll see if they fulfill that potential. There sure are some exciting players coming up, like legit hopefuls for once, not like Graham Zuzi and Sacha Kljestan type players.
Whatever happened to Freddy Adu (sp?) Wasn’t he supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread?

Chongo94

Whatever happened to Freddy Adu (sp?) Wasn’t he supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread?

He now plays for the Las Vegas Lights (very cool kits btw) in the USL. It is like his twelfth team or something crazy like that. Dude was all hype sadly. One of those who’s skill was better than all the young kids when he was young but when he got older it never advanced and everyone was able to catch up basically.

Edit: Las Vegas is his 14th team.