• The KillerFrogs

Big XII Baseball Tournament

ThisIsOurTime

Catch a pop up in CF or a fly ball in RF and y’all are talking about glorious use of the pen. Game was managed dang near perfectly.

Respectfully I disagree. I see both sides of this and prefer to let the hot hand continue pitching. I am leery of bringing in a new pitcher who could be wild or in situations like this where something happens and the game goes longer. As far as the other pitching change decisions, I realize Coach is also thinking about not wearing out pitchers and risking an injury like we saw with Purke and that arms were already stretched thin in this game. Still, when you start changing out pitchers like that you create risks of micromanaging and not allowing pitchers to find their groove.

It is funny at the end of the game when Boyles started losing control, I would have preferred him bring in a position player to pitch who has a chance to have better control but earlier in the game I would have preferred he given some of those pitchers a little longer leash. Even if we won the game, I still would have had these thoughts so I think it is definitely debatable. Today we saw both the advantages of Coach's situational pitching and its disadvantages.

Pharm Frog

Didn't Henderson come in and shut down a game in an unexpected situation earlier in the year? Why not use him? Anytime, but especially when Boyle or anyone else for that matter can't throw a damn strike?

Do you remember what that experience looked like? Thrilled he got his K but there was no pressure and he stilled puked on the mound.

Pharm Frog

Respectfully I disagree. I see both sides of this and prefer to let the hot hand continue pitching. I am leery of bringing in a new pitcher who could be wild or in situations like this where something happens and the game goes longer. As far as the other pitching change decisions, I realize Coach is also thinking about not wearing out pitchers and risking an injury like we saw with Purke and that arms were already stretched thin in this game. Still, when you start changing out pitchers like that you create risks of micromanaging and not allowing pitchers to find their groove.

It is funny at the end of the game when Boyles started losing control, I would have preferred him bring in a position player to pitch who has a chance to have better control but earlier in the game I would have preferred he given some of those pitchers a little longer leash. Even if we won the game, I still would have had these thoughts so I think it is definitely debatable. Today we saw both the advantages of Coach's situational pitching and its disadvantages.

Do not underestimate the health concerns and draft considerations.

flyfishingfrog

Do you remember what that experience looked like? Thrilled he got his K but there was no pressure and he stilled puked on the mound.

Better than dying on it - if you went all in to hold the lead in regulation then why not do it again in extra when the guy in the mound is throwing 2:1 ball to strikes?

TCUdirtbag

Mismanaged bullpen. Earlier in the game and then cant leave him in after that wildly missed strike zone over and over again. Gotta bring in someone, anyone.

I’m trying to be careful what I post because I don’t want to sound like sour grapes with all the Schloss-MSU talk, but I agree. Not a terribly well-managed game. I have a bunch of those days at my job too.

Pharm Frog

Better than dying on it - if you went all in to hold the lead in regulation then why not do it again in extra when the guy in the mound is throwing 2:1 ball to strikes?

Okay...put in a kid who has faced one more batter than our bullpen catcher. Make a case for Notary and I may be inclined. My question is where was Brown this season? He throws strikes okay

ThisIsOurTime

You can say that but guess what it worked. Lodolo and Wymer each got the outs they were supposed to get. It's doubtful those two were going to face many batters. One pitched Wednesday and the other pitched Thursday.

I understand what you are saying but the other side of it is that we ran out of pitching today. Don't you think Coach would have liked to have somebody to bring in when Boyles ran out of control or to put in before Boyles? Basically, Coach rolled the dice trying to get us to the 9th and won in the moment but paid for it later. It is what it is. I am sure Eissler, Lodolo or Wymer could have gone a little longer without risking injury.

I also think coach made the specific changes more for situational purposes rather than arm protection. He is still a good coach and runs a great program. This is just part of his strategy that I would do differently. Of course, it is easy for me to say this as I am not the one in the dugout.

NewFrogFan

What I dont understand is RPI and what actually moves teams up and down. The way Fla. played against LSU in their 2nd loss wih 7 errors committed over 2 games, and they are still #1 seed overall (predicted). Then TCU is either win or done, especially the way that game was lost.

flyfishingfrog

Okay...put in a kid who has faced one more batter than our bullpen catcher. Make a case for Notary and I may be inclined. My question is where was Brown this season? He throws strikes okay

All fair points - but do something I guess was my point - he over coached the 8th and under coached the 11th - pick a strategy