• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

tcudoc

Going to be spending a lot of time traveling this summer and would love a recommendation for a good book, preferably non-fiction but more importantly a page turner. Stuff with good stories, maybe a memoir or something like that. I predominantly read a lot of business books and wanna try something different.

Any good books about golf, Las Vegas, celebs, etc?
I am a third of the way on "Into Thin Air" about the Mount Everest tragedy of 1996. Very interesting so far and I'm still on the boring part. I've got the illustrated version and the pictures from the expedition really bring the story to life. The guy is a really good writer.
I had it recommended to me by someone else who said it was outstanding. I'm learning quite a bit about mountain climbing as it goes into a lot of technical detail.

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon
I am a third of the way on "Into Thin Air" about the Mount Everest tragedy of 1996. Very interesting so far and I'm still on the boring part. I've got the illustrated version and the pictures from the expedition really bring the story to life. The guy is a really good writer.
I had it recommended to me by someone else who said it was outstanding. I'm learning quite a bit about mountain climbing as it goes into a lot of technical detail.

In one of my honors classes this semester we studied cultural/public memories and how they are remembered or shaped by different texts including books and movies.

For the final project presentation, one student compared the book “Into Thin Air” to the movie based on the book “Everest”.

It was interesting to see the way the Hollywood movie portrayed the expedition leader Scott Fisher contrasted with how he was in real life.

I bet it’s a great read.

Last edited:

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Pretty much everything by Krakauer is worth reading. I highly recommend Under the Banner of Heaven. It’s a brief history about the Mormons and it’s fascinating. Into the Wild is amazing as well.

Three Cups of Deceipt isn’t worth the time.

MTfrog5

Going to be spending a lot of time traveling this summer and would love a recommendation for a good book, preferably non-fiction but more importantly a page turner. Stuff with good stories, maybe a memoir or something like that. I predominantly read a lot of business books and wanna try something different.

Drunk on Sports by Tim Cowlishaw is a good one about his battle with drinking. Has some great stories in there as well from when he was covering various teams

SnoSki

Read that one a while back, and you’re right, it is excellent.

Sand Frog

Rise and Walk is an old one, but good.

American Sniper if you haven't read it already.

Lone Survivor if you haven't read it either.

One Shot-One Kill is another good one.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)

Here's an oldie and a favorite of mine. I adopted his travel technique on several road trips and really enjoyed them.

Might appeal to you as a singer/songwriter who travels a lot.

th

GeoFrog

You've probably already read these, but outside of what everybody else has mentioned...

Non-fiction:
Flyboys by James Bradley
Twelve Mighty Orphans by Jim Dent

Fiction:
Brown's Requiem (or Black Dahlia or LA Confidential) by James Ellroy

Peacefrog

Degenerate

The Undefeated, Junction Boys and Horns Hogs and Nixon Coming are all good reads.

nwlafrog

Back when I was traveling a lot for work I started reading the Bill O’Reilly Killing Lincoln book. I liked it because I like history... a lot. I’m sure the series of “killing” books are all pretty good.

I’ll probably start the Killing Jesus book next.

Peacefrog

Degenerate

It doesn’t necessarily fit your criteria but if you haven’t read 1984 in a long time you should. It is scary how accurate some of it is. Orwell was just a little too optimistic with the year he used.

Ron Swanson

For those of y’all interested in Texas History, my mom just got me turned onto a podcast called “Wise About Texas” by a Texas judge named Ken Wise.

I just listened to episode 50 where he talks about the beginning of the Texas Rangers. I’ve always heard that my ancestors were involved with the genesis of the Texas Rangers, but never knew the specifics. Turns out that in 1823 Stephen F Austin wrote a letter stating that he was going to fund a private military/police force to help keep the colony safe from Indians, etc... they started off with 10 members and 3 of them were part of my family, Abner Kuykendall (my five-great grandfather) and his sons Gibson and Robert (I’m descended through Gibson). This group didn’t have a name at this point, but it is what ended up becoming the Texas Rangers.

Then starting in 1827, Abner apparently was the leader (captain I believe?) of this group for 5 or so years. Then if I remember correctly, they finally started becoming official and became called the Rangers sometime in the 1830’s.

Pretty cool stuff.

Anyway, I’ve only listened to the one episode so far, but it was pretty entertaining and I think a lot of y’all would enjoy it.

TheFDN

If you haven't already, check out "Meru" on Netflix. Excellent documentary chronicling 3 men attempting to climb Sharks Fin on Meru Peak.