GoFrogs: Baseball travels to Rice tonight

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/031218aab.html

GoFrogs: Baseball travels to Rice tonight

TCU (9-4) at Rice (7-10)
Tuesday, March 13, 2018 | 6:30 p.m. CT | Houston, Texas | Reckling Park

Watch Live KTCU 88.7 FM Live Stats Game Notes Twitter

HOUSTON - TCU will wrap up its road trip on Tuesday night when it takes on Rice at Reckling Park. Game time against the Owls is set for 6:30 p.m.

STARTING PITCHERS
Tuesday: LHP Russell Smith vs. RHP Roel Garcia

TCU NOTABLES
• TCU saw its fifth game impacted by weather already this season when its game against UCLA was canceled on Saturday.
• The Frogs went 1-1 over the weekend with a win a USC and a loss to Vanderbilt in Dodger Stadium.
• TCU ranks fourth in the Big 12 in offense (.282), third in pitching (3.14) and second in fielding (.976).
• TCU is 14th nationally with just 2.68 walks allowed per game and 11th in K:BB ratio (3.66).
• TCU’s seven errors are the fewest in the Big 12, while the eight stolen bases against are the second fewest.
Jared Janczak was named the Big 12 Pitcher of the Week for the third time in his career.
Josh Watson is the lone Frog to have tallied a hit in all 13 games this season.
• Watson is one of five hitters in the Big 12 batting over .400 this season.
Conner Shepherd hit his first career home run at Dodger Stadium on Sunday and led TCU with 4 RBIs over the weekend.
A.J. Balta has reached base safely in 12 straight games and leads the team with six doubles.

RICE NOTABLES
• Rice dropped a home series to Gonzaga over the weekend to fall to 7-10 on the year.
• The Owls are just 4-6 in their last 10 games.
• Rice is 2-1 in midweek games, including a 1-0 mark at Reckling Park.
• As a team, the Owls are hitting .271 and averaging 4.6 runs per game.
• Ford Proctor leads the Owls offensively with a .467 average and 17 RBIs.
• Justin Collins owns three of the Owls’ nine home runs.
• On the mound, the staff has a collective ERA of 4.29 and they are limiting opponents to a .251 average.
• Evan Kraveta and Willy Amador lead Rice with six appearances on the season.
• Defensively, the Owls have surrendered 16 stolen bases and have committed 22 errors for a .965 fielding percentage.

SERIES NOTABLES
• Tuesday marks the 244th all-time meeting between the two former SWC rivals.
• Rice owns a 123-119-1 record in the all-time series.
• TCU has won four straight over the Owls, including two victories in 2016.
• The Frogs are 5-10 against the Owls under Jim Schlossnagle.
• TCU is 2-5 at Reckling Park since the start of the 2004 season.
• The Frogs took a 6-4 win over the Owls in their last trip to Reckling Park on March 15, 2016.
• The midweek series with Rice started in 2014.

ROAD NOTABLES
• TCU will play 22 games on the road this season.
• The Frogs opened the season on the road and boasts a 3-1 mark away from home in 2018.
• Under the guidance of Jim Schlossnagle, TCU is 203-125 in games played on the opposition’s home field.
• TCU is 36-28 in midweek road games under the guidance of Schlossnagle.
• TCU is 59-32 on the road since the start of the 2014 season.

Moose Stuff

It has been pretty unfortunate for years now. I grew up going to Rice games all the time, a lot of the players were Houston products from my same high school. Wish they were good again, it was always fun going to Reckling Park.

It’s not changing until the old man is gone. Word on the street is this might be his last year. It NEEDS to be.

One of my favorite places to watch a game (unless it’s during the day in mid May). Love the backdrop at night.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
It’s not changing until the old man is gone. Word on the street is this might be his last year. It NEEDS to be.

One of my favorite places to watch a game (unless it’s during the day in mid May). Love the backdrop at night.
How old is he now? Gotta be late 80's

Eight

Aha! He played pro ball for 11 years. According to Wiki:

Born: Apr 06, 1936 (age 81)

this gives you a bit of perspective on wayne's age. he is older than augie and skip bertram and clif gustafson is only 5 years or so older than wayne and clif hasn't coached in over 20 years.

HFrog12

It is really a sad deal. I too grew up going to Rice games and it was a great environment when they were making their CWS runs. Wayne should have walked out years ago and realized everything he had already given to the program. There were a lot of players and alumni lobbying for coach Pierce to succeed Graham, but he would not relinquish the position. Pierce then left and propped up SHSU and Tulane in a short period of time and is now on the verge of bringing UT back. What could have been for the Owls.

I have always been an Owls fan, but can't wait to get back out to Reckling and watch the Frogs kick some ass tonight!

Eight

It is really a sad deal. I too grew up going to Rice games and it was a great environment when they were making their CWS runs. Wayne should have walked out years ago and realized everything he had already given to the program. There were a lot of players and alumni lobbying for coach Pierce to succeed Graham, but he would not relinquish the position. Pierce then left and propped up SHSU and Tulane in a short period of time and is now on the verge of bringing UT back. What could have been for the Owls.

I have always been an Owls fan, but can't wait to get back out to Reckling and watch the Frogs kick some ass tonight!

they really could have kept that thing rolling. had a very good rep in town, great local ties with cruz and berkman, load of talent, uh was down a bit, and a great education.

GeoFrog

Our whole crew will be down there tonight. We decided to stay local for Spring Break. Baseball game tonight, Rodeo tomorrow. Only thing I am dreading is the drive down there during rush hour. Basically have to leave around 5:00 to get down there by 6:30 from The Woodlands.

Pharm Frog

Once upon a time a long, long time ago I played against one of his San Jac teams in a fall "scrimmage". We were high schoolers and I'm pretty sure we weren't supposed to be doing that sort of thing but who knows for sure back then. I can affirm that we shouldn't have been doing that sort of thing based on what they did to our pitching that day.

lowfrog

Last time TCU played Rice I parked in the Greenbriar lot (just west/southwest of the football stadium), which is free parking, in early afternoon. Walked two blocks west into Rice Village, had lunch at Torchy's Tacos, then spent the rest of the afternoon at the original Gingerman. St Arnold's Spring Bock. High alcohol content. Lost count. At about 6 PM I staggered over to Reckling, bought a ticket to the field seats right behind the TCU dugout. Good game. We won 6 - 4 by coming back in late innings. Baker almost had a home run, but the wind blew it back inside the fence.

lonestarfrog89

Last time TCU played Rice I parked in the Greenbriar lot (just west/southwest of the football stadium), which is free parking, in early afternoon. Walked two blocks west into Rice Village, had lunch at Torchy's Tacos, then spent the rest of the afternoon at the original Gingerman. St Arnold's Spring Bock. High alcohol content. Lost count. At about 6 PM I staggered over to Reckling, bought a ticket to the field seats right behind the TCU dugout. Good game. We won 6 - 4 by coming back in late innings. Baker almost had a home run, but the wind blew it back inside the fence.
PaVF3Es.gif

Ron Swanson

I was there, was a great game.

I’ll be there tonight