• The KillerFrogs

Diehards: Deante Gray calls debate over paying players ‘laughable’ after NCAA earnings report

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

Diehards: Deante Gray calls debate over paying players ‘laughable’ after NCAA earnings report

Dean Straka
@dwstraka49

Former TCU football player Deante Gray didn’t waste any time in voicing his opinions after the NCAA reported a record $1.1 billion in revenue during the 2017 fiscal year in a statement on Wednesday.

Gray, who played with the Horned Frogs from 2012-2016, called the debate over whether or not the NCAA should pay student athletes “seriously laughable” — particularly calling out those in the camp of not paying players.

Read more at https://www.diehards.com/tcu/tcu-deante-gray-horned-frogs-ncaa-athlete-payments-football

flyfishingfrog

So Gray thinks that he should have gotten his $2400 a year - because that is what $1.1 billion spread over the 460,000 student athletes under the NCAA comes out to be.

Or like most people that think paying players is the answer - he is only considering revenue sports - which will never fly unless title 9 is overturned

And then the PC police will be out because most women’s sports will go away again

Moose Stuff

It’s SOOOOOO much easier said than done. I constantly see people advocating for paying the players but I NEVER see any of them put forth a plan for how to actually do it.

Does a starter get more than a backup? Does a kid at UT get more than a kid at Rice? Does a male basketball player get more than a female? Does a football player get more than a baseball player? Do non revenue sport athletes get anything?......

Austintxfrog94

So Gray thinks that he should have gotten his $2400 a year - because that is what $1.1 billion spread over the 460,000 student athletes under the NCAA comes out to be.

Or like most people that think paying players is the answer - he is only considering revenue sports - which will never fly unless title 9 is overturned

And then the PC police will be out because most women’s sports will go away again
That $1.1 billion is total revenue also. Figure about 10% profit so you can divide the $2400 by 10 :) . I'm in favor of college players getting more money to live on and have in general but them looking at the total revenue and claiming entitlement (Johnny Manziel's tweet another example) sort of gets me chapped.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I see the players at their age seeing $ signs, but taking the long view of this is they are just passing through, sometime as “long” as 5 years, sometimes not even 4. The institutions are trying to keep competing long after they are gone.

Bottom line, it is not a profession. If they are looking for a career:

1. Consider the low percentage of athletes that make it professionally and lower percentage of those who make it big.
2. Go to class and study, you will likely be glad you did when you grow up.
3. Playing college athletics and wearing the name and colors of your school is a privilege and one most of us would do for free or even pay to be able to do.

Zubaz

The debate will always occur so long as a few specific "amateur" sports remain a product that generates an incredible amount of revenue.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a seismic shift in the way U-21 athletics is promoted in the next few decades, specifically a break from the NCAA and the college system overall.

Zubaz

3. Playing college athletics and wearing the name and colors of your school is a privilege and one most of us would do for free or even pay to be able to do.
I never really got this argument. Sure most of us would love to play sports for our school, but the bottom line is the overwhelming majority of us lack the talent to do so.

So the question isn't how many can play football at TCU, the question is how many of us can play football at a level that could compete, how many can play at a level that would draw 40k+ fans in the stands to watch us? How many have the talent to produce an on the field product that sells for hundreds of millions of dollars to television networks?

Much smaller number there, and as a result the demand is much higher for those that can.

It’s SOOOOOO much easier said than done. I constantly see people advocating for paying the players but I NEVER see any of them put forth a plan for how to actually do it.

Does a starter get more than a backup? Does a kid at UT get more than a kid at Rice? Does a male basketball player get more than a female? Does a football player get more than a baseball player? Do non revenue sport athletes get anything?......

And if they start paying players wait for the federal government to want to get a piece of it too. Then athletes will be praying for the good ol' days.

MinerFrog2409

The offseason sucks
Honestly I get why athletes aren't being paid a lot of money but I do think that there should be some livable wage given. I got $755 a month on top of tuition, books and 6 meals a week. So I had to make that work for my rent and the 2 other meals of the day and whatever else I wanted for the month. There were also charges for things such as parking passes that cost hundreds of dollars a year. I wasn't getting those as part of my full scholarship. Luckily I come from a family that was able to supplement me if I ever needed money but that wasn't the case for most of my teammates. I remember multiple guys who were less fortunate than me having to steal food to make ends meet. A full scholarship isn't really a full scholarship. I know my situation at a smaller D1 school is not the exact same as a guy who goes to TCU but there are definitely areas for improvement in student athlete life and wages.

Froglaw

I would have no issue paying football players the tuition cost in cash.

But, they would owe TCU tuition though....

"Deante, here is your check for $60,000 from the Frog Club.

Endorse the back and make it payable to Texas Christian University.

Thank you.

Coach Patterson requested that you be at team orientation at 3:00."

Deante that sounds like quid pro quo to me.

How many newspapers were thrown, graveyard shifts at McDonalds serving burgers to drunks, studying on weekends to earn a scholarship, and working at a job on weekend and school breaks to earn enough money to buy books and eat?

If it wasn't for scholarship money, most students would not be able to afford TCU.

You got a full ride, room, and board for playing a game.

Don't spoil your legacy by choosing to be a greedy and ungrateful Alumni.

Eight

exactly what does the ncaa do for the players in exchange for the players' services?

when people talk about the long game and educational opportunities etc... that is provided by the university and not the ncaa. the ncaa is the organization that decides whether the athletes are allowed to hold a job during the season, if someone can buy them a meal, defines what the athletes are or are not allowed to do and made over a billion dollars from the services of those very same athletes.

there is no easy answers, there are no completely correct answers, but the system is a sham that a non-profit organization can generate that much revenue from the services of the athletes and really is giving nothing back in exchange other than rules and regulations.

again, the educational opportunities come from the schools, not the ncaa so what does the ncaa provide to the players in exchange for the players' services?

BABYFACE

The debate will always occur so long as a few specific "amateur" sports remain a product that generates an incredible amount of revenue.

I wouldn't at all be surprised to see a seismic shift in the way U-21 athletics is promoted in the next few decades, specifically a break from the NCAA and the college system overall.

Fine, let’s turn our season tickets in and let all sports after high school be professional. Let the pros create minor leagues and collegiate sports go away. It will be intermurals and club sports for college from here out. Because that is what the end result will be. Never mind the fact that a collegiate athlete’s stipend is about 5k now, annually.

Almost every athletic department operates in the red. Only a few operate in the black. Facts be damned.

One constant in life is “cause and effect.” I do not understand why this ignored by some.

Eight

"Deante, here is your check for $60,000 from the Frog Club.

Endorse the back and make it payable to Texas Christian University.

Thank you.

Coach Patterson requested that you be at team orientation at 3:00."

Deante that sounds like quid pro quo to me.

How many newspapers were thrown, graveyard shifts at McDonalds, studying on weekends to earn a scholarship, and Working at a job on weekend and school breaks to earn enough money to buy books and eat?

If it wasn't for scholarship money, most students would not be able to afford TCU.

You got a full ride, room, and board for playing a game.

Don't spoil your legacy by choosing to be a greedy and ungrateful Alumni.

the story is not about the money tcu makes on athletics, but the ncaa. the education opportunity comes from the school, the scholarship comes from the school, what does the ncaa provide to a college athlete besides does and don'ts

Froglaw

the story is not about the money tcu makes on athletics, but the ncaa. the education opportunity comes from the school, the scholarship comes from the school, what does the ncaa provide to a college athlete besides does and don'ts

No it is about money and Deante thinks he did not get enough regardless of the source.

MinerFrog2409

The offseason sucks
I just have a problem with the "you get a free education" line. Yes they are able to go to school at a great university for free. But they will generally be funneled into multi disciplinary studies or another major with a small workload. Again not saying this happens at every school but it happens more than people are willing to talk about. Many college athletes end up going back to school or have to miss football activities to pursue a degree that will do them any good in the future.

MTfrog5

And then add D2 and maybe D3 athletes. I know D3 is non scholarship athletes so they probably would not get paid. Also is the taxed? Since they are paid, can they be “fired” for performance or if they don’t play? Would TCU be able to counter sue Kolby for refusing to participate when cleared?

Eight

No it is about money and Deante thinks he did not get enough regardless of the source.

yes it is about money and who is making money off whose services and likeness. the organization that prevents players from working makes over a billion dollars a year in their current tv contract for the tournament.

Eight

And then add D2 and maybe D3 athletes. I know D3 is non scholarship athletes so they probably would not get paid. Also is the taxed? Since they are paid, can they be “fired” for performance or if they don’t play? Would TCU be able to counter sue Kolby for refusing to participate when cleared?

if i am not mistaken athletic scholarships are not guaranteed for the full 4 or 5 years. schools do tell kids they are not being renewed. heck, there was a story about how janczak was told the staff did not foresee him having a future pitching at tcu after his freshman season.

again, the issue is not the relationship between the athlete and the school. what is being questioned is the ncaa generating that much revenue off the efforts of athletes, the very same organization being so restrictive it limits athletes from being able to work.

Zubaz

Fine, let’s turn our season tickets in and let all sports after high school be professional. Let the pros create minor leagues and collegiate sports go away. It will be intermurals and club sports for college from here out. Because that is what the end result will be.
I mean, that's kinda what we have for Baseball isn't it? Basketball will probably be going that way sooner rather than later as well, we're already starting to see it a bit with kids going to Europe instead of college.

I tend to agree that there's no money in minor league sports, and the long term result will be a significant drop in interest in U-21 athletics. Outside of the college brands, there's no audience for watching sub-standard athletics.