• The KillerFrogs

AGCS East Side Expansion Update - new website and revised renderings

flyfishingfrog

Oh got it. So there are no other factors that can cause an application reduction, none. Except birth rate.

Not sure why you're so defensive about application numbers. Your bonus tied to it?

It was actually a serious question, not a complaint. I can tell you right now, I would not have applied to TCU for $50k/year. Wouldn't have had the resources.

Honestly, it's not worth $200k. Maybe that could be the complaint you're looking for.
Seriously? Do you understand what I said? Application are not DOWN right now - they are the highest level they have ever been and going up every year

We were the second most selective school in the state last year only behind Rice - harder to get into than UT and Aggy

In 7 years (2025 freshman class) EVERY school is going to face a smaller applicant pool because there will be about 300k less kids applying for college compounded annually for about 5 years - so about 3 million less kids in college than current levels - because those kids were NEVER BORN

Easier to understand?

flyfishingfrog

Man - sometimes I am embarrassed by a lack of critical reasoning skills in my fellow frogs...

So in an attempt to maybe explain this to a reasonable person that might be interested -

How in the world would you come to the conclusion that TCU's tuition is a problem for the school when at this time we have 1) the highest tuition rates we have ever had, while also having 2) the highest level of applicants ever and 3) the highest level of accepted kids showing up on campus ever.

And both 2 and 3 are going UP every year, not down.

So obviously if 20k kids are applying for less than 2k spots and we can accept less than 4k of the applicatns to get the 2k to show up - we don't have a cost of tuition problem even if you don't feel its worth it.

Frankly I would guess that unless you graduated in the last 10 years or got a high percentage academic scholarship when you did attend - you wouldn't have to worry about it anyways since most of us older alumni probably wouldn't get accepted today anyway.

The reality is even the increase of undergrads from 8500 to 9500 is only a true increase of about 500 students - we currently have 9000 on campus already because so many more of our accepted candidates are showing up for the freshman year vs traditional rates - AND we have a 91% retention rate between freshman and sophomore year, which is 25% higher than the national average and puts us in the top 1% of Universities in the country.

So despite your feelings - the reality is NOTHING in our current numbers around admissions levels says our tuition is too high.

flyfishingfrog

Tuition is too high. I love TCU, but swinging tuition for two kids is not middle class money.

Have two currently in high school and love for them to attend TCU and so would they. Fly fish, I guess it is my fault for not making enough money.
no - it is just not worth the money to you - lots of things in life are like that.

I would drive a Ferrari if they weren't $300k - but I don't think any car is worth that much.

That doesn't mean they should lower the price just because I would like them too or because my father had one or whatever the reason.

If they sell all they want to others that do think its worth it - then the price is not too high.

20k kids every year seem to think TCU might be worth the money and 2k of them definitely think its worth it since they show up to pay it.

Last edited:

cdsfrog

Tcu isn't a Ferrari. Its not even sniffing top 20.

Harvard is the Ferrari and its cheaper for the vast majority of families in the US.

Love TCU but I'm not sending my daughter to a school that will cost 500 to 600k for 4 years in 15 years. You think cost is bad now.

4% inflation which is basically impossible given TCU has averaged 7% for last 37 years would be 470k for all costs 4 years on campus in 2033. Slightly less off campus.

5% is 530k, 6% is 600k. Unlikely to be higher as TCU will starting facing pushback at tuition by itself exceeding 100k annually set to happen in 15 years.

Last edited:

cdsfrog

Some people here need to take a basic course on supply and demand. Doesn't matter what you personally will pay for, the market has spoken and enough people are willing to pay for TCU at its current and steadily increasing price. End of story

For now sure. I doubt they have the same demand when tuition reaches 100k per year and it will soon but even enough then will pay. Either way I would rather my kid go to a better school that is cheaper. TCU used to care about making their university affordable, but that is no longer a priority.

Biggest issue for TCU is their deans scholarship continues to shrink as a percentage of overall tuition and cost and cost for middle class families is terrible with need based aid being so low.

netty2424

Man - sometimes I am embarrassed by a lack of critical reasoning skills in my fellow frogs...

So in an attempt to maybe explain this to a reasonable person that might be interested -

How in the world would you come to the conclusion that TCU's tuition is a problem for the school when at this time we have 1) the highest tuition rates we have ever had, while also having 2) the highest level of applicants ever and 3) the highest level of accepted kids showing up on campus ever.

And both 2 and 3 are going UP every year, not down.

So obviously if 20k kids are applying for less than 2k spots and we can accept less than 4k of the applicatns to get the 2k to show up - we don't have a cost of tuition problem even if you don't feel its worth it.

Frankly I would guess that unless you graduated in the last 10 years or got a high percentage academic scholarship when you did attend - you wouldn't have to worry about it anyways since most of us older alumni probably wouldn't get accepted today anyway.

The reality is even the increase of undergrads from 8500 to 9500 is only a true increase of about 500 students - we currently have 9000 on campus already because so many more of our accepted candidates are showing up for the freshman year vs traditional rates - AND we have a 91% retention rate between freshman and sophomore year, which is 25% higher than the national average and puts us in the top 1% of Universities in the country.

So despite your feelings - the reality is NOTHING in our current numbers around admissions levels says our tuition is too high.
Again, my response was to "where less kids are applying", not to this "2) the highest level of applicants ever."

I never stated tuition is a problem, those are your words. I stated it could be a factor in a decrease of applications based on your first statement. I get it, applications are at an all time high, but that wasn't your post. And all you had to do was clarify, minus being a supreme [ Finebaum ].

flyfishingfrog

Again, my response was to "where less kids are applying", not to this "2) the highest level of applicants ever."

I never stated tuition is a problem, those are your words. I stated it could be a factor in a decrease of applications based on your first statement. I get it, applications are at an all time high, but that wasn't your post. And all you had to do was clarify, minus being a supreme [ Orgeron ].
And again - I said several times the only reason that the Admissions office thinks there will be less kids applying is because there will be less kids to actually apply

You are the one that turned it into a tuition is too high debate

And you are flat out wrong by every measureable metric

But because you think it’s too high, it must be....

flyfishingfrog

Some people here need to take a basic course on supply and demand. Doesn't matter what you personally will pay for, the market has spoken and enough people are willing to pay for TCU at its current and steadily increasing price. End of story
At least someone actually understood so maybe I am only partially crazy...

BABYFACE

no - it is just not worth the money to you - lots of things in life are like that.

I would drive a Ferrari if they weren't $300k - but I don't think any car is worth that much.

That doesn't mean they should lower the price just because I would like them too or because my father had one or whatever the reason.

If they sell all they want to others that do think its worth it - then the price is not too high.

20k kids every year seem to think TCU might be worth the money and 2k of them definitely think its worth it since they show up to pay it.
Not arguing that. I wish TCU was in my price range. TCU was affordable, but not cheap when I was in school(late 80’s). Today, it is on a different tuition cost plane. It also a lot different university today than it was then. I enjoy and I am happy to what TCU has become, but it is also a little sad that it most likely won’t be an option for my kids.

Oldest one is very smart. If she could qualify for a scholarship that would cut her tuition in half at TCU, then it becomes a doable option.

Last edited:

Wexahu

Not arguing that. I wish TCU was in my price range. TCU was affordable, but not cheapwhen I was in school(late 80’s). Today, it is on a different tuition cost plane. It also a lot different university today than it was then. I enjoy and I am happy to what TCU has become, but it is also a little sad that it most likely won’t be an option for my kids.

Oldest on is very smart. If she could qualify for a scholarship that would cut her tuition in half at TCU, then it becomes a doable option.

This is how I feel. If they can charge $60k/year and still get plenty of applicants and enrollees, good for them I guess. But sometimes it feels more like a club than a school. The quality of the actual education doesn't match the tuition cost, that's the unfortunate part IMO. It's a good school, but it's not $250,000 good.

YA

1. East side fundraising is on target according to the timeline the university wants

2. I am firmly in the camp that 2024-2025 sports year there will be little changes in the overall conference configurations--mainly because the Big 12 is making enough $ over the potential other conferences not named the big 10 or the sec that no one is going to move--in fact, there could be movement back to the Big 12 coming from the west or east outside the big 10 or sec schools.

3. If concerns about tuition is an issue for some and their kid wants to come to TCU, then send to UTA, University of North Texas or TCC for 2 years and transfer in for the last 2 years and guess what? The degree will still say TCU at the end.

LeagueCityFrog

I'll also point out too the Big XII teams are plastered all through prime time in the Fall for football on Fox, ABC, and ESPN and have had multiple campuses host Game Day. During basketball season the conference members have also had multiple basketball ESPN Game Days and are prominently featured on Big Monday or Tuesday games. On Saturdays, Big XII Basketball teams have been on three different ESPN channels simultaneously or one Big XII game followed by another. That being said, I'm in the camp that we go back to 12 football members regardless. Either two come back ie Arkansas, Nebraska, Colorado or both the Arizona schools. If not, football only 5 Year deals with option for renewal in 2029 Boise and BYU. Both schools are legit in football and casual eye balls would watch those games and both of those schools can beat other Power 5 schools. Keeps the double round robin in basketball intact and keeps travel overhead down for non football sports teams.

cdsfrog

People who post about the future in these threads as if they know for certain what is going to happen. LOL

No. TCU has averaged 7% tuition inflation for 37 years. I gave a range of 4-6%. 95% chance it falls in that range

As for the 2 year route at TCC or something like that if my kid wants to do that fine. But again there are better schools for less $$. I very much want the opportunity for my daughter to go to TCU but at the same time if she can't it's not a big deal.

netty2424

And again - I said several times the only reason that the Admissions office thinks there will be less kids applying is because there will be less kids to actually apply

You are the one that turned it into a tuition is too high debate

And you are flat out wrong by every measureable metric

But because you think it’s too high, it must be....
I didn't turn it into a debate. I was actually, as I said several times, asking a simple darning question. You turned it into something more, rather than maybe having a friendly dialogue.