• The KillerFrogs

2018 TCU BASEBALL SEASON THREAD

TCUdirtbag

A note on Omaha streaks:

TCU is looking to become the 8th school to go to Omaha 5 years in a row (4th school in the Big 12) and to reach the 5-in-a-row streak for the 9th time in history (Miami has done so twice). These streaks haven't produced many titles though, unless you're USC:

Oklahoma State: 1981-1987 (7 years, no titles)
Northern Colorado: 1957-1962 (6 years, no titles)
Miami: 1994-1999 (6 years, 1 title)
Miami: 1978-1982 (6 years, 1 title)
USC: 1970-1974 (5 years, 5 titles)
Texas: 1981-1985 (5 years, 1 title)
Stanford: 1999-2003 (5 years, no titles)
Oklahoma: 1972-1976 (5 years, no titles)

*Note: titles refer to titles in the stretch, not total titles in history)

I mentioned this in another thread but should probably put it here too.

I ran into Schloss at the rodeo a couple weeks ago. Through a series of random events I had to show him to how to get to the backstage club and then to the tent so we got to share a couple elevator rides together. I didn't get too deep with him but I asked how much weight Baker has lost and he said about 15. He leaned up but then put on more muscle so it looks like he lost more. Thinks he's more flexible and quicker. I asked if he can turn away from errant throws quicker and he had a chuckle.

Funny story...on the way up to the roadhouse tent this group of 20-somethings stop him and I figured it was to whip his ass more than what I've been doing for the last 10 minutes. Nope...they needed him to take a group picture. Then he obliged to take a selfie with me.

He didn't have his rodeo ticket and the guy wasn't going to let him into the tent without paying. He didn't have any cash and as I pulled out my wallet to pay for him I muttered something to him about how much easier it is for the baseball coach to get around town than it is for Gary Patterson. The guy at the door looked up, took another glance at JS and said "Oh, you're good."

TCUdirtbag

It’s February and we have our first projected field of 64! As a reminder, they’re seeding the top 16 this year and for supers it’ll be 16 @ 1, 15 @ 2, 14 @ 3, etc.

Here you go:
(1) Florida / (16) Ole Miss
(2) Oregon St / (15) Virginia
(3) Florida St / (14) Texas
(4) Arkansas / (13) UCLA
(5) Texas Tech / (12) Clemson
(6) UNC / (11) CS Fullerton
(7) TCU / (10) Texas A&M
(8) Kentucky / (9) Stanford

That projected FW Regional is TCU, DBU, NC State, Yale. Paired with A&M, Oklahoma, Duke, Oral Roberts.

In the field:
2-seeds: Vanderbilt, Oklahoma, DBU
3-seeds: Oklahoma State, West Virginia
4-seeds: Grand Canyon
(Rice, LBSU and Baylor “next 4 out”)

https://www.baseballamerica.com/college/2018-preseason-projected-field-64/#Y7ULlHtlsfyeLPLm.97

Eight

It’s February and we have our first projected field of 64! As a reminder, they’re seeding the top 16 this year and for supers it’ll be 16 @ 1, 15 @ 2, 14 @ 3, etc.

Here you go:
(1) Florida / (16) Ole Miss
(2) Oregon St / (15) Virginia
(3) Florida St / (14) Texas
(4) Arkansas / (13) UCLA
(5) Texas Tech / (12) Clemson
(6) UNC / (11) CS Fullerton
(7) TCU / (10) Texas A&M
(8) Kentucky / (9) Stanford

That projected FW Regional is TCU, DBU, NC State, Yale. Paired with A&M, Oklahoma, Duke, Oral Roberts.

In the field:
2-seeds: Vanderbilt, Oklahoma, DBU
3-seeds: Oklahoma State, West Virginia
4-seeds: Grand Canyon
(Rice, LBSU and Baylor “next 4 out”)

https://www.baseballamerica.com/college/2018-preseason-projected-field-64/#Y7ULlHtlsfyeLPLm.97

by chance you don't have the projected code for buying super regional tickets would you? wanting to beat the ags to the tickets and avoid the maroon takeover this time.

FBallFan123

TCUdirtbag

This kind of adds to a discussion going on in another thread, but a new season attendance record was set last year - 153,139. That’s an over 20,000 fan increase from 2016 and more than 6,000 increase over the 2015 season, which included the nearly 22k 3-game A&M Super. It’s the largest per-game average at 4,785. The per game mark was 10th in the nation and the total was 11th. Both were 1st among private schools.

Set #3-#5 top series attendance records in 2017 (Texas, Penn St and Baylor each over 15,000).

Last edited:

FBallFan123

There's a really interesting article up on D1 Baseball by Kendall Rogers talking about how Schlossnagle was involved in discussions between MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred and other MLB officials and American Baseball Coaches Association Executive Director and Vanderbilt coach Tim Corbin and Louisville coach Dan McDonnell.

Some of the issues the discussions touched on:
  • MLB funding college baseball scholarships
  • an MLB game in Omaha before the CWS, like they did with the LLWS last year
  • possibly changing the timing of MLB draft, and perhaps moving it to Omaha
  • MLB partnering in college scheduling
Here are some quotes from Schlossnagle:

https://d1baseball.com/notebook/stronger-bond-building-mlb/

Stronger Bond Forming With MLB

Kendall Rogers - February 12, 2018

D1 Baseball said:
“The biggest discussion we had is just finding a way to get the best athletes to play baseball. Right now, there are plenty of guys who either feel forced to sign for a low bonus, or go play another sport in college because baseball lacks necessary scholarships,” Schlossnagle said. “There is a possibility of MLB helping fund full scholarships for some schools in the future, but it’s still in the early stages. I thought Manfred was very blunt and forthcoming about the scholarship issues facing the sport.”

D1 Baseball said:
“I think MLB wants that type of event to be a celebration of baseball, just like it was at the LLWS,” Schlossnagle said. “They did some different things with college baseball on the MLB Network last year, will again this year, and this would be one of many things they want to do to get further involved with the college game.”

D1 Baseball said:
MLB would like to get more involved with college baseball events, particularly early in the season. TCU, Vanderbilt, Virginia and Cal State Fullerton were slated to head to Puerto Rico early next season for a tournament in San Juan. However, the schedule had to be altered because of Hurricane Maria, which ravaged the island. The coaches haven’t come up with a scheduling solution or site just yet, but Schlossnagle and Corbin discussed with Manfred the potential for MLB to be somewhat involved, and MLB is helping the coaches find a site. Hosting the tourney at a big league ballpark is an option, but no further details are available.

D1 Baseball said:
“They’re wanting to get involved with some events in our sport. We were all just throwing out ideas of what they could be involved in. There are, I think, some unique opportunities to try some things out,” Schlossnagle said. “I think what was eye opening for me is how much they truly care about college baseball and how much they want to see it grow. They want the sport to become more of a part of the developmental system for professional baseball. I feel like Manfred and his team want a relationship with us the same way the NBA has a relationship with college basketball and the NFL has a relationship with college football. For whatever reason, it hasn’t been like that in the past.”

Last edited:

Moose Stuff

For people who like REALLY early draft projections.....

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/mlb-draft-rankings-2018-2019-and-2020/

MLB Draft Rankings: 2018, 2019, and 2020
by Eric Longenhagen and Kiley McDaniel - February 12, 2018

2019 MLB Draft Rankings
Player Pos School State Commitment
10 Nick Lodolo LHP TCU TX

Charles King RHP TCU TX
Quinn Priester RHP Cary-Grove HS IL TCU

2020 MLB Draft Rankings
Player Pos School State Commitment
Adam Oviedo SS TCU TX

Trying to rank players for the 2019 and 2020 drafts is simply a waste of time. Even more so if you consider the very real possibility the the two dudes who wrote the article have rarely if ever seen any of the players they’re ranking.