• The KillerFrogs

2018 Recruiting Thread - Part 2

Eight

Anyone else on here think we go and get another Juco offensive lineman and defensive lineman before summer starts? Hopefully the Rice Offensive Lineman picks TCU this March. One more dog on the DL that can play wouldn't hurt in my opinion and give us a little more depth there. Don't be shocked on this form if we beat Ohio State at Jerry's World then find a way to win at wet and cold West Virginia in November that we don't win the whole damn thing next season. Special team Gary has put together for 2018.

Go Frogs

some interesting thoughts. if anderson opts for the good guys and mckinney proves to the be the prospect the staff thinks he is then that gives ct the flexibility to slide niang inside at guard where he played some as a freshman paired with cordel. ct finds a center and the frogs have an o-line though i better keep it down before the optimism police catch me. :(

one thing the staff has shown is that if they come out of spring with some areas of concern they are not afraid to go turn some rocks looking for help during the summer. wasn't there some talk a bit back about a big guard out of navarro or tyler jc?

Eight

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if we pick up another kid or three for this class late.

That said, best to have tempered expectations for next season. We should be salty on defense, but we are breaking in a brand new QB, 3-4 new starters on the offensive line, and putting a lot of eggs in underclassman baskets at WR. So it is very possible that we will finish 3rd or worse in conference if all of our new pieces don’t gel or we suffer key injuries.

understand the idea of not getting carried away, but where is some of this coming from in regards to this being a big rebuild across the offense.

yes, o-line is the big question and ct has two players who have started multiple games returning from last year in cordel and lucas. also return a few guys who have played some snaps and do have a highly regarded recruit that is on campus to try to fill a tackle position.

yes, kenny is gone and with him all those starts. don't know what shawn will do know that he looks to be the man, but he isn't fighting this fight alone. instead of focusing on what we don't have what do we have that has shown in real games.

first, frogs return their leading rusher from last year in darius anderson. no need to debate anymore if he or hicks are better. what i do know is darius led the frogs in total yds rushing, rushing yds per game, rushing yds per carry, and rushing td's. not exactly a hidden box of ramen noodles found in the back of the cupboard of your college apartment and he is paired with sewo who flashed some ability late in the year.

can we agree we aren't starting from scratch at running back?

second at receiver we return a senior who has over 100 career catches and 10 career td catches. yes, he needs to do better on routes, yes he does get knicked up at times, and yes he needs to stay focused off the field as well but it is the money season for turpin and that isnt such a bad receiver to start off pairing with reagor.

jaelen austin might not be star potential, but he has been solid and has almost 50 career catches and jarrison stewart has over 40 career catches. neither again might not be stars, but they are solid and don't need to be stars just reliable. hell, did anyone project des white to have 40+ catches this past year?

so without even mentioning receivers like manning or hunt or barber the frogs can put a decent receiver group out of reagor, austin, stewart, and turpin who have all played in multiple games. plus you have the tight ends and that includes wells who is on campus in the spring.

i understand the numbers guy put out that the frogs have lost a large amount of their offensive production, but in all honesty the bulk of those numbers came from kenny.

Wexahu

understand the idea of not getting carried away, but where is some of this coming from in regards to this being a big rebuild across the offense.

yes, o-line is the big question and ct has two players who have started multiple games returning from last year in cordel and lucas. also return a few guys who have played some snaps and do have a highly regarded recruit that is on campus to try to fill a tackle position.

yes, kenny is gone and with him all those starts. don't know what shawn will do know that he looks to be the man, but he isn't fighting this fight alone. instead of focusing on what we don't have what do we have that has shown in real games.

first, frogs return their leading rusher from last year in darius anderson. no need to debate anymore if he or hicks are better. what i do know is darius led the frogs in total yds rushing, rushing yds per game, rushing yds per carry, and rushing td's. not exactly a hidden box of ramen noodles found in the back of the cupboard of your college apartment and he is paired with sewo who flashed some ability late in the year.

can we agree we aren't starting from scratch at running back?

second at receiver we return a senior who has over 100 career catches and 10 career td catches. yes, he needs to do better on routes, yes he does get knicked up at times, and yes he needs to stay focused off the field as well but it is the money season for turpin and that isnt such a bad receiver to start off pairing with reagor.

jaelen austin might not be star potential, but he has been solid and has almost 50 career catches and jarrison stewart has over 40 career catches. neither again might not be stars, but they are solid and don't need to be stars just reliable. hell, did anyone project des white to have 40+ catches this past year?

so without even mentioning receivers like manning or hunt or barber the frogs can put a decent receiver group out of reagor, austin, stewart, and turpin who have all played in multiple games. plus you have the tight ends and that includes wells who is on campus in the spring.

i understand the numbers guy put out that the frogs have lost a large amount of their offensive production, but in all honesty the bulk of those numbers came from kenny.

I sure don't want this to come out as negative, but my worry about the offense is only about the QB and O-line. The backs and receivers we have coming back will be fine IMO.

LeagueCityFrog

Shawn Robinson didn't look in tip top athletic shape between offensive plays in Lubbock last year and still won the game and he had a long run after leaving only 2 seconds to snap the ball after tying his shoes. He will be in even better condition this coming Fall and can drop a ball on a dime. Then you have to also think about our competition. I wouldn't be surprised to see WVU getting some pre season number one votes in the Big XII with the schedule that they have and Will Grier's return. Big XII lost some gun slingers this off season. TCU should be stout and we have 2 provens at running back with a stout defense, a punter, a returner, and 10 of 12 games in Texas. TCU field goal kicking was fine at the end of last season. And we have that Gary Patterson guy that looked like the President of Mensa compared to his peers minus Coach Holgo at that Coach's Room event on ESPN during the playoff and a solid coaching staff returning with him. We will be okay and I hope we are about to return to form where we just start blowing people out again like the Peach Bowl team. We have depth too. Just saying.

FrogLifeYo

Anyone else on here think we go and get another Juco offensive lineman and defensive lineman before summer starts? Hopefully the Rice Offensive Lineman picks TCU this March. One more dog on the DL that can play wouldn't hurt in my opinion and give us a little more depth there. Don't be shocked on this form if we beat Ohio State at Jerry's World then find a way to win at wet and cold West Virginia in November that we don't win the whole damn thing next season. Special team Gary has put together for 2018.

Go Frogs

Living in OK I here OU talk all day..It’s an exhausting amount of entitlement and stupidity. Having said that this morning I listened to a solid 3 minutes of whining at why they can’t land elite DTs....Mind you they signed a 5 star DT out of Saint Louis. They have also been disappointed in their lack of a star safety. I know our inability to land interior lineman was a hot topic of ours in recent recruiting threads. The take away is that interior line recruiting is a conference problem not just a TCU one...If there is a reason to think UT will be back, it’s because of how well they are recruiting at the interior line positions.

MinFrog

The thing I get excited is that we are now replacing starters with higher rated guys than before. Starsies aren't the end all be all, but given a 3* that GP offered and a 4* that GP offered, give me the 4*. So when we are looking at guys like Meyers and Bowen coming in rather than their comparables 5-10 years ago, I am more confident now that we can be more plug and play.

Wexahu

Shawn Robinson didn't look in tip top athletic shape between offensive plays in Lubbock last year and still won the game and he had a long run after leaving only 2 seconds to snap the ball after tying his shoes. He will be in even better condition this coming Fall and can drop a ball on a dime. Then you have to also think about our competition. I wouldn't be surprised to see WVU getting some pre season number one votes in the Big XII with the schedule that they have and Will Grier's return. Big XII lost some gun slingers this off season. TCU should be stout and we have 2 provens at running back with a stout defense, a punter, a returner, and 10 of 12 games in Texas. TCU field goal kicking was fine at the end of last season. And we have that Gary Patterson guy that looked like the President of Mensa compared to his peers minus Coach Holgo at that Coach's Room event on ESPN during the playoff and a solid coaching staff returning with him. We will be okay and I hope we are about to return to form where we just start blowing people out again like the Peach Bowl team. We have depth too. Just saying.

In the six years WVU has been in the Big 12 they've managed to lose less than 4 games ONE time and their overall conference record is better than only Tech, Iowa State, and Kansas. Again, I don't want this to sound negative, but I continue to be amazed at how much respect they get from our fan base with such little to show for it. They're 14-13 in Morgantown where they supposedly have an "insane" home field advantage and they're 13-14 on the road.

We mock Texas for sucking every year (which they do sometimes) but even their conference record is 29-25 vs WVU's at 27-27. Maybe next year is the year it all changes, but I imagine they'll go 4-5 or 5-4 in conference again next year, just like they almost always do. They lose some good players just like everyone does.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
Not sure where else to leave this so I'm just going to drop it here.

Was never injured. Just didn't get to play for his first three years so he gets an extra year apparently.

Wexahu

Not sure where else to leave this so I'm just going to drop it here.

Was never injured. Just didn't get to play for his first three years so he gets an extra year apparently.

Kind of lame that he gets another year, but I think they were winning almost in spite of him last year. Wasn't really impressed at all.

asleep003

Depends on the timeframe obviously, but right now OU has six offensive linemen active in the NFL, TCU has five, and UT has all of one.

Think we got the OLs we need for CT to develop into more NFL caliber players... Devin Phillips was the only Fr OL recruit we had that looked 2018 ready for the 2 deep. But wasn't allowed to keep his commit... sad.

Last edited:

FrogLifeYo

How many oline have we put in the NFL vs. a Texas or OU?
How many non Tackles...can you name that we have put in the NFL..Maybe 2?...
In the six years WVU has been in the Big 12 they've managed to lose less than 4 games ONE time and their overall conference record is better than only Tech, Iowa State, and Kansas. Again, I don't want this to sound negative, but I continue to be amazed at how much respect they get from our fan base with such little to show for it. They're 14-13 in Morgantown where they supposedly have an "insane" home field advantage and they're 13-14 on the road.

We mock Texas for sucking every year (which they do sometimes) but even their conference record is 29-25 vs WVU's at 27-27. Maybe next year is the year it all changes, but I imagine they'll go 4-5 or 5-4 in conference again next year, just like they almost always do. They lose some good players just like everyone does.
solid post....and true

FrogLifeYo

Think we got the OLs we need for CT to develop into more NFL caliber players... Devin Phillips was the only Fr OL recruit we had that looked 2018 ready for the 2 deep. But wasn't allowed to keep his commit... sad.

Phillips was a tough pill but it is what it is...

I believe if you look at the success of our OL in the NFL guys, they are almost all tackles. Very few interior guys outside of Hunt in recent memory. Maybe 5-6 since 2010. I see our ability to find underrated Tackle talent, the same as our ability to develope DE’s..Our staff does an excellent job finding and developing those tall big frame kids in to next level players. What I hope CT is able to do is get us over the hump on interior guys. Games are won on the interior (G/C-DT) and at the QB position. While our overall talent level is much better we are going to be very green this coming year on the offensive side of the ball...I actually think we have plenty of reason to think we are going to be even better defensively despite some key losses

Eight

Phillips was a tough pill but it is what it is...

I believe if you look at the success of our OL in the NFL guys, they are almost all tackles. Very few interior guys outside of Hunt in recent memory. Maybe 5-6 since 2010. I see our ability to find underrated Tackle talent, the same as our ability to develope DE’s..Our staff does an excellent job finding and developing those tall big frame kids in to next level players. What I hope CT is able to do is get us over the hump on interior guys. Games are won on the interior (G/C-DT) and at the QB position. While our overall talent level is much better we are going to be very green this coming year on the offensive side of the ball...I actually think we have plenty of reason to think we are going to be even better defensively despite some key losses

why do people keep saying we are going to be very inexperienced on the offensive side of the ball? line maybe, quarterback yes, wr & rb no

Eight

Your right but as far as I’m concerned QB and OL will dictate our success

no doubt and the key is the o-line. if the line can be effective in run blocking with anderson and sewo it helps to take pressure off shawn (or whomever it may be) and allows things to build from there on offense.

ct's crew has some work to do, but niang has some big potential, iwuagwu has played quite a bit of the past two years, and i have good feelings about mckinney. i am curious who will end up at the center position.